24 Replies Latest reply on Sep 24, 2010 6:08 PM by Ozpeter

PE9 importing problem with Canon 5D mk2

David Hoare

Hi,

I've downloaded the trial of PE9 and tried importing PAL 25fps HD footage from my Canon 5D mk2. When I import it it shows a thumb nail but won't play it. Is there a known issue with the codec maybe? Seems that there shouldn't be as there's a preset for it in the DSLR project setting.

D.

• 1. Re: PE9 importing problem with Canon 5D mk2
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Can you describe the steps you're using to import this footage? What project settings are you using in your Premiere Elements project?

What operating system are you using? Have ensured you have the latest version of Quicktime and that your operating system has even its option updates?

• 2. Re: PE9 importing problem with Canon 5D mk2
            David Hoare Level 1

Hi,

I started by making a new project. Then click change settings choose from the available presets the PAL DSLR options the same as I've shot the footage in. Then in the organizer go to get videos from files & folders. It then loads into the viewer where I can see a thumbnail of it. From here on in nothing else works. You can hear the audio sometimes. Other times the timeline doesn't even move.

I have a MacPro tower with quad Zeon processing @ 2.66, with 8 GB ram. ATI Radeon X1900 XT: 512 mb

• 3. Re: PE9 importing problem with Canon 5D mk2

So you're not using Premiere Elements Video Importer to get the video from the camcorder onto your computer?

Why not try that and see if it makes a difference?

• 4. Re: PE9 importing problem with Canon 5D mk2
                David Hoare Level 1

Thanks Steve,

Just did that and still the same. I've attached a grab to show you as far as it get. Screen shot 2010-09-22 at 13.55.05.jpg

• 5. Re: PE9 importing problem with Canon 5D mk2

When you first load the clip into your project, do you see a progress bar in the lower right corner of the interface? That's the program conforming the video -- a necessary process.

Try clearing the video from your project (right-click on it in the Project panel and select Clear). Then Get Media to re-add it.

Watch for the conforming progress. The program will need to conform it in order for you to see the video.

BTW, you have ensured you have the latest version of Quicktime from Apple.com, right? (On a Mac this usually happens automatically -- but it's worth checking.)

You may also want to install the software that came with the camera. It may add a necessary codec to your system.

• 6. Re: PE9 importing problem with Canon 5D mk2
                    David Hoare Level 1

I've done these steps. When I re-import the footage there's no 'conforming' or processing bars/info going on. Can I manually run this?

• 7. Re: PE9 importing problem with Canon 5D mk2

No. I'm sorry. I'm out of ideas.

There is no reason this should not work. (It's particularly perplexing that you can see it as a thumbnail in your Media panel and on your timeline -- but just not in the Monitor!)

You may need to contact Adobe Tech Support at this point.

• 8. Re: PE9 importing problem with Canon 5D mk2
                        David Hoare Level 1

You have been really helpful Steve. It's always worth going through the steps incase there's something missed but in this case maybe PE9 has a few problems still left to sort.

Thanks anyway.

• 9. Re: PE9 importing problem with Canon 5D mk2
                          VDOSurfer Level 3

Are you able to play it with Quicktime on MAC? That will be my first step.. And can you drag it to timeline? Or go to the project and seelct insert to timeline?

When done, start playback.. If it has the same behavior as PRE8, it should give you a red cross in the bottom left of the application if it struggles to play back. When you click that it gives a easy-to-understand error message..

• 10. Re: PE9 importing problem with Canon 5D mk2
                            David Hoare Level 1

Yes it plays with no problem in Quicktime. Also it works very well in iMovie, as smooth as you can get but I have a paid job coming up which I need some audio tools for so I thought I'd try Premier as a step up. I've looked on Youtube and people say to import into Final Cut you need to convert the file to a different codec. I don't know much about this and hope that I can just use the file the camera produces. Any ideas?

• 11. Re: PE9 importing problem with Canon 5D mk2
                              VDOSurfer Level 3

Could you try right click on Monitor and click on Playback Settings? Is there anything you feel you should change there? Just noticed, in the right click menu, there is a new option for Playback Settings. Setting that to highest plays my videos well!!!!!!! Hope you have the same luck.

Are you able to import and play other files on the timeline without any issues?

• 12. Re: PE9 importing problem with Canon 5D mk2
                                VDOSurfer Level 3

A similar camera, on my iMAC machine - no issues - capture of my screen fr proof :)

Maybe the non-trial ones are fine.I bought it as soon as I heard that it is live.. And I see nothing wrong with it.

Try in a different project setting - like PAL/NTSC DV Standard.

Could you try clicking twice on the Monitor.. That should allow you to drag the edges of the video.. Do this and then try playing back. There was something like this in PRE8 that I remember doing, for some other type of files.the playback will work in this case and this will allow to see the video before editing it.

I also remember that with these files, I have no issues after exporting them..

Organizer_View.png

Hope something works....

• 13. Re: PE9 importing problem with Canon 5D mk2
                                  MassNerd Level 1

I have the same exact problem. My setup:

Intel Core 2 Duo 3.2GHz

2GB RAM

Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium

Canon T2i (1080p29.97 .MOV) and Canon SD780is (720p30 .MOV)

I have Quicktime Pro installed (had it installed before installing Premiere Elements 9 and reinstalled after just in case)

I should also note I still have Premiere Elements 4 installed. Not sure if that is messing things up.

I have to say this is dissappointing. I had switched to Sony Vegas because Adobe's 1080p and AVCHD support was so bad, but even with Vegas I had convert to an intermediate format. I was excited at the announcement of PreE 9 and support for Canon EOS HD cameras. I downloaded the trail and now this... no preview video!

• 14. Re: PE9 importing problem with Canon 5D mk2
                                    MassNerd Level 1

Hey that worked VDOsurfer!!  I just dragged the corner of the preview window a little bit and now I can see the video!

Really unfortunate is that I have to this everytime I move to a different clip.

Annoying that is the way things are, but I suppose I could live with that.

• 15. Re: PE9 importing problem with Canon 5D mk2
                                      David Hoare Level 1

Thanks again but this doesn't work either for me. Tried moving the start and end in the monitor, and different project settings but still nothing shows apart from the thumbnail.

• 16. Re: PE9 importing problem with Canon 5D mk2
                                        VDOSurfer Level 3

Try reducing the Opacity. For this right-click on the clip and select Properties. Reduce to just 99.9% from the initial 100% and then try...

• 17. Re: PE9 importing problem with Canon 5D mk2
                                          MassNerd Level 1

David,

I don't understand what you mean by moving the start and end in the monitor. Did you resize the preview window by clicking on the preview window once, then dragging a corner to resize that window?

• 18. Re: PE9 importing problem with Canon 5D mk2 ( 7D too)
                                            JoeHoetzl Level 1

I was also frustrated with the same issue, but with footage from a 7D.  I tried the trial, and got the same problem - I saw the "conforming" message, but the clip would only play audio, not the video, just the "created with pe trial" title would show.

I spent a bit of time looking around, and was going to download a trial of Premiere pro cs5, and stumbled upon a little tidbit in the Premiere pro requirements/spec that mentioned that in the trial, due to some sort of license limitation. The video from these Canons, which is h.264 embedded in a quicktime wrapper, can't be used without licensing this portion of the software.

So, I figured if I had to fight Adobe on a return, I would, but I bought the program, entered the code, and voila, click "update" on the .mov and the "trial title" went away, and like magic, the video showed up.

I don't know if premiere pro needs the "conforming" step, and I don't think it does, and maybe one day I'll upgrade, but for now, that is all I could find on it.

• 19. Re: PE9 importing problem with Canon 5D mk2 ( 7D too)
                                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Glad that you got things sorted out, and thank you for reporting. It has been often stated (many times by me) that the only difference between the trail and the full-paid was that watermark. PrPro has no MPEG-2 support, but it has no watermark. Many of us were unaware that there were crippled aspects in the trial.

As for the Conforming aspect - yes, PrPro will do that too. This ARTICLE will give you a bit of background. I strongly recommend that one let the complete Conforming (and any Indexing) complete, especially before working with those files.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 20. Re: PE9 importing problem with Canon 5D mk2 ( 7D too)
                                                JoeHoetzl Level 1

I should have included this...

When I went to download Premiere Pro CS5's trial, I read this:

Trial limitations

Due to licenses of various codecs, several formats are not supported in the trial version of Adobe Premiere Pro CS5, limiting some of the features available in the trial. Formats not supported in the trial version include AVC-Intra, AVCHD, Canon XF, HDV, and XDCAM. In addition, sequence presets for RED or DSLR footage are not available in the trial, although RED R3D files are supported. Certain formats, such as MPEG-2, MPEG-2 DVD, and MPEG-2 Blu-ray, cannot be exported from the trial version. For details, visit the Help Resource Center.

If you decide to purchase Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 after the trial period, support for these codecs and presets will automatically be added via a simple update once you enter a valid serial number.

Not ideal for any trial to be crippled by something like that, but I'm not sure Adobe is to blame on this one...some legal team is probably thrilled though...

• 21. Re: PE9 importing problem with Canon 5D mk2 ( 7D too)
                                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

I agree, and do does the majority of the PrPro folk. This has been an issue for a very long time, and is always a spawning ground for posts to the forum - "why doesn't my trial have MPEG-2 support?"

There is talk about Adobe adopting a different policy for PrPro, and using a watermark, like with PrE. However, when that was mentioned, dozens rose up with lanterns and pitchforks, screaming that they did not want some watermark. Cannot please everyone.

In the case of PrPro, it's about the licensing of the MainConcept CODEC's. That also keeps them from offering a trial of Encore, as all of DVD and half of BD is MPEG-2.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 22. Re: PE9 importing problem with Canon 5D mk2 ( 7D too)
                                                    Ozpeter Level 1

Greetings all!

"These trial versions are fully functional, so every feature and aspect of the product is available for you to test-drive"

That's what the Trial FAQ for PE9 says - I'm currently downloading it, no trivial thing for something this size, and I shall be more than somewhat annoyed if it's not actually fully functional.  PE8 was a complete waste of money due to its lack of support for my Panasonic GH1, which was only apparent after purchase.  I'm not going to throw good money after bad until I can actually see PE9 working properly with the footage that I work with - otherwise, what's the point in a trial?!

Heh, I guess I shouldn't make my first post here for many months a rant, but there it is!

• 23. Re: PE9 importing problem with Canon 5D mk2 ( 7D too)
                                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome back Ozpeter.\!

Until very recently, I would have jumped in and said that the trial was "fully functional," save for the watermark. Now, I am just not sure.

Hope that the trial goes well for you, and that you are able to decide if it's right for you.

Trials are a tough call. Adobe is between a rock and a hard place on the MainConcept CODEC's, at least with PrPro, as they would be billed for each instance of the trial, if everything was installed. Still, they are contemplating the watermark route, but I'd guess that much of that would be predicated on negotiations with MainConcept.

Enjoy, and please report your experiences,

Hunt

PS - we still link to your "Proxy Editing" article quite often.

• 24. Re: PE9 importing problem with Canon 5D mk2 ( 7D too)
                                                        Ozpeter Level 1

I'll certainly report how I get on.  And I'll be happy to comment on how it stacks up against the opposition.  I'm pretty aware of the state of the competition these days (I seem to buy every low-end video editing program in the hope of finding the holy grail of one that (a) works and (b) meets my personal requirements, and I'm currently beta testing one not yet released) but there's always a catch... the one I tend to go back to most often would probably be regarded as the lowest of the low end, but it does fulfil (a) above at least!