8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 2, 2007 9:04 AM by Newsgroup_User

Voting Page - Not so simple

jorgecool
      Hi, I currently need to develope a Voting section on my website. I already have all the contestants. I have one picture and some details about them.

The page dispays each picture with a "Add Vote" button on the side. What I want to do is just add a vote to the database.

The problem is, people can only vote once per day. IP Address is not an option for making the voting validated, because many people participating in the voting use Labs or Offices, and from my server side, their IP is the same, no matter if there are 20 PC's on that office, it's still the same IP.

I was thinking, how about Mac Address? Can a webpage record that? Or a Machine ID, so that it records only the PC that was used for voting.

Can someone help me?

Thanks.

Jorge
        • 1. Re: Voting Page - Not so simple
          Level 7
          Likely, the user will have to register with your site and log in. The one
          exception is if you're on an intranet and all use IE.

"jorgecool" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:f63cql$bq7$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > Hi, I currently need to develope a Voting section on my website. I
          > already
          > have all the contestants. I have one picture and some details about them.
          >
          > The page dispays each picture with a "Add Vote" button on the side. What I
          > want to do is just add a vote to the database.
          >
          > The problem is, people can only vote once per day. IP Address is not an
          > option
          > for making the voting validated, because many people participating in the
          > voting use Labs or Offices, and from my server side, their IP is the same,
          > no
          > matter if there are 20 PC's on that office, it's still the same IP.
          >
          > I was thinking, how about Mac Address? Can a webpage record that? Or a
          > Machine
          > ID, so that it records only the PC that was used for voting.
          >
          > Can someone help me?
          >
          > Thanks.
          >
          > Jorge
          >

• 2. Re: Voting Page - Not so simple
            jorgecool Level 1
            The thing is, I dont wanna require registration for voting, is there any solution to this?
            • 3. Re: Voting Page - Not so simple
              jorgecool Level 1
              Wait, I realized maybe I didnt explain my self.

There are contestants, they are already registered. Now, the people who are gonna vote are family, friends, whatever.........the participant with more votes wins, so, lots of people are gonna vote............

any help? ideas?
              • 4. Re: Voting Page - Not so simple
                Level 7
                Well, you can try setting a cookie on the user's computer (last vote time =
                whatever), but that would prevent people from sharing computers and you can
                always clear your cookies (or refuse them in the first place).
                You either have to allow endless voting or require registration. Even with
                registration, people can double up on e-mail addresses, etc, but that's a
                lot more irritating than just clearing cookies. ;)

news:f63kaj$kln$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                > Wait, I realized maybe I didnt explain my self.
                >
                > There are contestants, they are already registered. Now, the people who
                > are
                > gonna vote are family, friends, whatever.........the participant with more
                > votes wins, so, lots of people are gonna vote............
                >
                > any help? ideas?
                >

• 5. Re: Voting Page - Not so simple
                  Level 7
                  > I was thinking, how about Mac Address? Can a webpage record that? Or a
                  > Machine
                  > ID, so that it records only the PC that was used for voting.

Yes, a cookie as l'stone points out.

T

• 6. Re: Voting Page - Not so simple
                    Level 7
                    "BigHead" <teddy@JUSTNOSPAMbigheadis.com> wrote in message
                    news:f63qad$rhv$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                    >> I was thinking, how about Mac Address? Can a webpage record that? Or a
                    >> Machine
                    >> ID, so that it records only the PC that was used for voting.
                    >
                    > Yes, a cookie as l'stone points out.
                    >
                    > T
                    >

.........the participant with more
                    votes wins,

What a novel idea! Perhaps we could use this as a guide for presidential
                    elections.

• 7. Re: Voting Page - Not so simple
                      jorgecool Level 1
                      Yes, I've worked with cookies.....but people can cheat that way.......the registration process makes too many people go away........the IP address solution doesnt work for offices, college labs, etc......

Like I said, can a website read more info than that? There's gotta be a way to read something else.......

Thanks anyway for all your comments
                      • 8. Re: Voting Page - Not so simple
                        Level 7
                        Nothing useful, no. You basically get IP and the user agent string. The
                        rest of the information pertains to the request itself, not the user making
                        it.

news:f65h0n$sh7$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                        > Yes, I've worked with cookies.....but people can cheat that way.......the
                        > registration process makes too many people go away........the IP address
                        > solution doesnt work for offices, college labs, etc......
                        >
                        > Like I said, can a website read more info than that? There's gotta be a
                        > way to
                        > read something else.......
                        >
                        > Thanks anyway for all your comments
                        >