Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Tabbing in a Cp Sim

New Here ,
Sep 22, 2010 Sep 22, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK folks, why is this so difficult?

A simulation that has multiple text entries that use Tab for the shortcut key of a the text entry.

I have inserted the SeamlessTabbing code into the htm doc . . .   "so.addParam("SeamlessTabbing", "false");"

Pressing tab cycles through the buttons of the playbar and so the sim loses focus from the text entry field to the playbar and it doesn't pick up the tab, displays the incorrect feedback (even though it's correct), and requires the user to hit Tab twice. 

Can anyone show me a single published working example of stepping through multiple, consecutive text entry fields where Tab is the shortcut for all of the fields?

Many thanks,

Mark

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mark

First off, the Seamless Tabbing feature is one that prevents the browser from becoming focused when you tab. So if your Text Entry Box has focus and you press Tab repeatedly, the focus shifts from the Text Entry Box to the next tabbable element in your Flash Movie. And if you press Tab enough times, focus returns to the element you were first on (the Text Entry Box) and never escapes the Flash Movie to allow you to tab to the browser toolbar and other browser areas.

Secondly, there is an issue where Captivate disallows using the same shortcut key for multiple objects on the same slide. So if you have perhaps three Text Entry Box objects on the slide, Tab will only work as a shortcut to submit one of them. But for the other two, likely they will ignore Tab as the keystroke to submit and evaluate the content of what was typed into the field. Tab should move focus to the next element and it seems it is because you see the yellow highlight surrounding the element.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Begin learning Captivate 5 moments from now! $29.95

Captivate Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Adobe Certified Captivate Training

SorcererStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again

Sorry, I forgot to add that if you need multiple fields that use Tab as the shortcut, you need to design the project so each Text Entry Box is on a different slide.

If you feel it should work differently, please consider submitting a Wish Form to ask for it. (link is in my sig)

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcererStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick:

Thanks for the speedy reply.

Each text entry field is on a different slide.

OK it looks like I *don't* want the seamless tabbing code in there, as without it, it doesn't seem to tab through the playbar buttons.

There is a rollover slidelet on each screen that will display a red hilight and a text caption as a "coach".

Why is it that pressing tab shows the rollover slidelet hot area in yellow?  And pressing 2x quickly engages the rollover slidelet as if I rolled over it (but I didn't, I'm only pressing tab)

I'm using a slidelet because I want to display 2 objects (hilight box and caption, not just a rollover text caption.

There is no shortcut entered for the rollover slidelet, but it looks like it may be the guilty party.

Dang this should not be this tough to do:

Simulation

Text Entries that use Tab

Rollover slidelet that displays both hilite box and text caption.

Yet, as is, it will not work consistently and requires multiple tabs on a single field to successfully make it through the simulation.

Ideas?  Do I have to reprogram it without the rollover slidelets?  I don't want to have to set up individual custom actions for each screen just to be able to display 2 items on a rollover.

Thanks,

Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 23, 2010 Sep 23, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can anyone show me a single published working example of stepping through multiple, consecutive text entry fields where Tab is the shortcut for all of the fields UPDATED . . .  AND a rollover slidelet is being used?

Dang this should not be this tough to do:

Simulation

Consecutive text Entries that use Tab

Rollover slidelet "coach" that displays both hilite box and text caption.

Thanks,

Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it just me or does it seem crazy that pressing a Tab key in a known simulation tool interferes with so much other baked in other functionality?  Just sayin . . .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Well, it makes total sense when you take into account that you are presenting the simulator via a browser window. There are certain limitations imposed by the browser. Now if you are presenting via an Executable (and Captivate does offer the option) you are in a self contained environment and anything goes (and also works).

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcererStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, but not sure if I buy that argument.

Way too much online training needs for that one . . .

Plus, it's not messing with the browser, it's messing with the Captivate swf

movie elements, not the browser . . .

No?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Mark - Sorry, it's been a really busy day for me. Way more irons in my fires than I've been comfortable with!

What version of Captivate are you using? I'd like to test what you have reported.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcererStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 26, 2010 Sep 26, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick:

I sent you the source files off line . . .

Let me know what you see/think.

Thanks,

Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Sep 26, 2010 Sep 26, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Mark,

Can you please send the files to me too? Would like to look at the issue. You can mail me at viswanat@adobe.com

Thanks,

Vish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2010 Sep 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Vish:

Let me know what you find.

Thanks,

Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 25, 2012 May 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was there a fix to this that is off-line?  I am on Captivate 5.5 using the tab key as a short cut as well and each slide has one text entry box on a slide (the one that works the best has three on one slide).  I even edited the skin and removed the nav buttons at the bottom hoping that would fix my issue - BUT in some places you have to hit tab twice because it hits another click box that is on each slide instead of advancing.  It only does this on some slides sometimes and all of the settings are the same. 

Help!  This is ridiculous that we can't deliver this simulation training... MOST systems are tabbed through, so how do we even create simulation training using captivate?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 27, 2012 May 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using any kind of keystroke shortcut (including tabs) is always a bit problematic due to the way web browsers work, especially with SWF content.

One thing I recommend you try is the Tab Order widget from Chris Dorna:

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/exchange/index.cfm?event=extensionDetail&extid=2259022

It won't solve all your problems with tabbing but it at least allows you more control over the tab ordering.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 29, 2012 May 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Mel:  I agree completely with you.  No, there still isn't a viable fix.  Starting a new project now, we'll see how many Tabs vs Enters there are.  Wonder how Storyline deals with this in their sim tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 30, 2012 Apr 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you ever get an answer to this question?  I'm having almost exactly the same problem, but the seamless tabbing code does not seem to fix it, and I can't seem to get around it any other way. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 30, 2012 Apr 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I never found a bullet-proof solution. Amazing the a 5.5 version sim tool gets tripped up on something so critical to software sims. : (

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources