5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 27, 2010 9:28 AM by A.T. Romano

Sorting Some Myths & Facts About Premiere Elements 9

A.T. Romano Level 7

Steve Grisetti,

Part 1 Photoshop Elements Premiere Elements Slide Show Integration

If you recall, we went down the following Photoshop Elements Premiere Elements integration road when Premiere Elements 8.0 was released. And, I fear we need to go down that road again.

In spite of the fact (and for whatever reason Adobe persists in saying what it does in its Read Me), you do not have to have Photoshop Elements 9 installed with Premiere Elements 9 in order to use the Photoshop Elements Slide Show Editor Output Option "Edit With Premiere Elements", to get a seamless transfer from Photoshop Elements to Premiere Elements, and to have the Premiere Elements Break Apart command available.

The doable combos for this are:

Photoshop Elements 6.0/Premiere Elements 9.0

Photoshop Elements 7.0/Premiere Elements 9.0

Photoshop Elements 8.0/Premiere Elements 9.0

Photoshop Elements 9.0/Premiere Elements 9.0

as was the case (shown over and over by myself and large number of others)

Photoshop Elements 6.0/Premiere Elements 8.0

Photoshop Elements 7.0/Premiere Elements 8.0

Photoshop Elements 8.0/Premiere Elements 8.0

Part 2. Premiere Elements 9.0 New Feature: Automatic Change of Project Preset

At another web site you are featuring a video on this subject where you drag a HD 1080i30 video into a DV Standard project and get a Mismatched Project Setting dialog for changing the project preset from DV Standard to HD1080i30. You do point out that this change is possible ONLY if it is done with the first such clip dragged to the Timeline. However, the impression is a generalization for MORE. I have found that the reverse situation DOES NOT WORK (no dialog) if you bring a DV AVI into a project set up for HD 1080i30. I have not gone through all the possible scenarios, but suspect that the feature has limited application. I make this comment now to fend off questions from users who ask why does this NOT work for me when they are repeating your demo to the last detail (they think) but using a different combo of project preset and file format.

I have not had time to organize a first look thread here, but I thought that these two points justified themselves as forerunners of what is to come.

ATR

• 1. Re: Sorting Some Myths & Facts About Premiere Elements 9
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Some interesting observations, Tony!

Let's see if anyone else has similar finds.

• 2. Re: Sorting Some Myths & Facts About Premiere Elements 9
            A.T. Romano Level 7

SG

Thanks for the response.

I have just started digging into the Premiere Elements 9.0 PC free 30 day try out from Adobe and will repeat all of my tryout testing in the purchased version as well. Since Adobe says it supplies a full version tryout, one might expect the same results in the tryout out as in the purchased version????

That was the case last version when we went down similar paths.

Questions:

a. Have you looked at this new Premiere Elements 9 Mac and how do you intend to fend off questions from the Mac users? I have to do more homework on the matter (I am a PC person), but I think that I recall seeing in an Adobe document that HDV was not available in the Mac version???? Misprint?

b. Regarding my concerns about the new "changing the project preset" feature of Premiere Elements 9.0....you did the demo video on that, what did you find when you did other project preset/file format combos with regard to the feature working or not working? You just demo'd DV Standard project preset/HD 1080i30 file.

ATR

• 3. Re: Sorting Some Myths & Facts About Premiere Elements 9
              the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

The Mac-user question is a good one. Steve uses both platforms, but I do not know if he's installed the PrE 9 Mac version and used that. I would assume so.

Same thing happened in the PrPro forum, when CS3 went X-platform. Most of us were PC-only users, so when it came to things Mac-related, we were at a disadvantage. Luckily, some folk had multi-platform shops, and could help out a bit. Now with CS5 we have a lot more Mac-users, so there are more suggestions and answers in that forum. Also, one of the frequent Adobe employee contributors, is multi-platform, and knows the Macs very well from his work on the AE forum. Many of us are also picking up little tid-bits about Macs, as we go, so we can offer a few basic suggestions.

In general, this new development will present a bit of a learning curve for some of the regulars.

Thank you for your reports,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Sorting Some Myths & Facts About Premiere Elements 9
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I like Premiere Elements on the Mac very much, Tony. In fact, I'm slowly transitioning my projects over to it.

We'll certainly address Mac issues here as well as on the community forum at http://Muvipix.com. (My new books cover it and Photoshop Elements on both platforms. With few exceptions, it functions almost identically on both operating systems.) Though I'm expecting operating system configuration and compatibility issues will be less of an issue on OSX.

Overall, I've been happy testing it out with a variety of source files on the Mac as well as on XP and Windows 7. But I've generally had good fortune with all of the Premiere Elements versions (except, uh, version 8).

Some I'm interested in hearing others' experience.

• 5. Re: Sorting Some Myths & Facts About Premiere Elements 9
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Steve Grisetti

I would respectfully ask if you did any testing of the Automatic Change of Project Preset feature of Premiere Elements 9 beyond what you demo’d in your mini video tutorial on the matter?

Earlier in this thread I wrote the following in which I mentioned doubts about a possible limited application for this new “Automatic Change of Project Preset” feature for Premiere Elements 9. Now I am getting to wonder if there are major glitches in the reliability of this feature and if users should be depending on its recommendation blindly.

First what I wrote initially……

“Part 2. Premiere Elements 9.0 New Feature: Automatic Change of Project Preset

At another web site you are featuring a video on this subject where you drag a HD 1080i30 video into a DV Standard project and get a Mismatched Project Setting dialog for changing the project preset from DV Standard to HD1080i30. You do point out that this change is possible ONLY if it is done with the first such clip dragged to the Timeline. However, the impression is a generalization for MORE. I have found that the reverse situation DOES NOT WORK (no dialog) if you bring a DV AVI into a project set up for HD 1080i30. I have not gone through all the possible scenarios, but suspect that the feature has limited application. I make this comment now to fend off questions from users who ask why does this NOT work for me when they are repeating your demo to the last detail (they think) but using a different combo of project preset and file format.”

Second, Latest Developments

A user at another forum that I frequent posted that, after allowing the Mismatched Project Setting dialog to change the project preset for him, he could not get the Timeline video reflected in the Edit Mode Monitor although he could get the file audio.

The details were these:

Video was from a Canon SX10 IS recorded as 640 x 480 with a video codec described by gspot as Name: AVC1 Codec: H.264. The video had a .mov file extension. (The results to follow were independent of whether I changed the file extension from .mov to .avi or .mpg.) Although it was not spelled out, I believe this to be an AVCHD Lite file.

When the project preset (new project dialog) was set at NTSC DV Standard (720 x 480) and the file imported into Premiere Elements 9, the Mismatched Project Setting dialog appeared to which the user clicked YES. That YES set the project preset to NTSC/Flip/Flip Mino and Ultra 30p which is shown as 640 x 480 with Editing Mode = “Sony XDCAM EX 720p”.

When the video was dragged to the Timeline, there was no video reflected in the Edit Mode Monitor, however the audio could be heard as the Timeline content playback progressed from beginning to end. Not ever was there a red line over this Timeline content. This suggested to me that the program was recognizing this video as its new native format AVCHD. If you made a minor edit to the video to force a red line over its content, rendering the Timeline in the Edit Mode DID permit the video to display in the Edit Mode Monitor.

Until more information is available on this new feature, in this specific case, my recommendation to this user was to use the NTSC DV Standard project preset AND say NO to the Premiere Elements 9 Mismatched Project Setting dialog.  And, when the video (640 x 480) was on the Timeline, it was suggested that the user use Properties Palette/Motion Panel/Scale properties to get rid of any tiny black borders to the left and right in the Edit Mode Template.

However, the finally puzzlement to this case is that if the user continues in the program's recommended Flip project preset (without a video display in the Edit Mode Monitor) to Share, the export displays both video and audio just fine.

In case I did not mention it, going direct from the new project dialog/ NTSC Flip Flip Mino and Ultra 30p yielded the same results…no video but audio in the Edit Mode Monitor of the video on the Timeline. My evaluation of the issue was done using a Canon SX10 IS sample video downloaded from the Internet.

ATR