3 Replies Latest reply: Nov 9, 2010 10:37 AM by BKBK RSS

Is a gateway what I need?

tclaremont Community Member

I am using CF8 in a windows environment.

I have a magentic stripe reader on the network at IP xxx.xx.xxx.174:1070

When a badge is scanned, I want that information to automatically log in my SQL database. I think a Socket Gateway is what I want, so it will listen to the address in question, and allow me to capture and store the information upon a scan, but I cant find much information on the net as to how to go about this. I have gone through the exanples but apparently I am not smart enough to "get it". Can anyone point me in the right direction?

• 1. Re: Is a gateway what I need?

I set up a gateway, and it says it is running, but through all of my testing I get no in or out transactions recorded.

I used the SMS test system provided and it works, and records both in and out transactions, so something must be set up right.

I have my gateway set up to launch a CFC that sends me an email, as a test. It never gets activated. I dont think the CFC is even getting triggered.

I know the badge scanner is working correctly because it logs scans through a simple telnet connection and writes the scan to a text file.

Am I on the wrong track here?

• 2. Re: Is a gateway what I need?

After further research, I find the following in the socket-gateway log:

Error attempting to listen on socket: java.net.socketException: socket closed

This is a strange one, because the socket is clearly open when I look at it through Windows administration tools.

I am using port 1070, and because it is over port 1000, I should not need any special permissions.

In the CF administrator it shows the gateway instance as running, but no in and out entries get registered.

I have stopped and restarted the gateway hundreds of times. No effect. Always the message shown above in the socket-gateway log.

Is there a bug that I need to know about?

CF8 on a windows environment.

Web searches turn up nothing, so apparently nobody is using the socket gateway. Even the Adobe documentation is barely existant. Not really sure why I am posting this here, since it is obvious that nobody reads, much less responds to, queries in the Gateway section!

• 3. Re: Is a gateway what I need?
              BKBK MVP

Only just seen this one. It should be straightforward. Is the setting in the configuration(cfg file) of your socket-gateway instance port=1070?