17 Replies Latest reply on Sep 26, 2010 8:40 AM by the_wine_snob

Premiere equivalent to Vegas Pro 'regions'?

Reality Studio

I just started using the Premiere CS5 trial and was wondering, what is the Premiere equivalent of Vegas Pro's 'regions'? Basically, in Vegas Pro I'll make a bunch of clips on one project file and mark each clip as a region. Then I name reach region to what I want to final file name to be. Finally I batch render all the regions in all the video formats I want, and Vegas will spit out all the versions of all the videos all properly named in a directory. So far I can't figure out how do that in Premiere though! Anyone know how?

• 1. Re: Premiere equivalent to Vegas Pro 'regions'?
          Colin Brougham Level 6

No, the closest you can get is to mark a particular section of your sequence using the Work Area Bar (that grayish slider up in the timeline ruler), and then send that section to the AME queue using the Work Area Bar option in the encoder window. You can name each individual import from that panel, too. Once you send it to the queue (either start it or wait until you send the rest of your exports), go back to Premiere and mark a new section, and then repeat this activity. That's the closest you'll come with what is available in Premiere.

• 2. Re: Premiere equivalent to Vegas Pro 'regions'?
            Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

When a clip is sent to AME you can duplicate the clip as many times as you want and give it each its own export settings by clicking on Settings in AME.

• 3. Re: Premiere equivalent to Vegas Pro 'regions'?
              Reality Studio Level 1

Thanks, I took a look at the work area bar slider than you mentioned. So from the looks of it it's not something that can be saved in the project file, like regions can be saved in Vegas project files, correct? Or in other words if I had to revisit an old project in the future because I needed another codec version of all the clips, I would have to go back and do the work area bar slider steps all over again?

• 4. Re: Premiere equivalent to Vegas Pro 'regions'?
                Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

However, see this post by Todd.  I have not tried this, but it sounds very intriguing.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3121675#3121675

There has been interest in the abiility to specify a range of export settings.  The PR ability to have a render cue is just as of CS4.  Consider a feature request

• 5. Re: Premiere equivalent to Vegas Pro 'regions'?
                  Reality Studio Level 1

Todds idea is interesting, but that leads to a double encode if I'm reading it right. So one encode to make a master version of a video clip, then all target encodes made from that one, which in theory would degrade the quality compared to just going straight from the original source right to the target encodes. Plus if I can't save the region markers then it makes it tougher to revisit and tweak footage in the future, at least for what I need to do in my work. I'm still toying with the Premiere trial as I've been considering switching to it from Vegas due to it's gpu support in the timeline (which is really nice), but I'm gathering Premiere's intent is a bit different. Whereas Vegas gives you the option of treating a project file as both a single movie, individual clips, or both, Premiere really sees a project file as a single movie. You can pull individual clips from a Premiere project, but there's no real easy way to save that work

• 6. Re: Premiere equivalent to Vegas Pro 'regions'?
                    Colin Brougham Level 6

Well, most folks would use a single sequence FOR a single finished export/video/movie/whatever. It's not that you can't create more than one from a single sequence, but management and workflow issues can crop up.

So, in light of that, is there any particular reason you can't use multiple sequences? For example, I'm working on project right now that contains 20 approximately one-minute long segments; each are being worked on in their own sequence. In the end, they'll all be presented as one video or 20 individual pieces, depending on the DVD viewer's preference. This way, I'm not guessing where I am in a particular sequence and worrying about inadvertantly wrecking another part of my edit. Plus, it makes export easy as I can add all 20 sequences to AME at once and export them in a batch.

If you prefer to work in one sequence, and want to semi-replicate regions, you might want to look at adding sequence markers to your sequence. Basically, these serve as mile-markers to quickly jump to a point you're interested in. Segment off your sequence with markers, and then you can quickly set the Work Area Bar between two markers (the in and out points will snap to the markers and make things even easier).

Hope that helps a bit.

• 7. Re: Premiere equivalent to Vegas Pro 'regions'?
                      Reality Studio Level 1

Hmm ok, I'll try the multiple sequences in one project method. How to you send them all to export in one shot? I see how I can manually add each one, but not where to just "export all sequences".

• 8. Re: Premiere equivalent to Vegas Pro 'regions'?
                        adobe-admin Adobe Employee

> So one encode to make a master version of a video clip, then all target encodes made from that one, which in theory would degrade the quality...

You don't lose any quality when you encode using a lossless codec (by which I mean _actually_ lossless, not "perceptually" or "visually" lossless). When I create an archival master or post-production master, I use the PNG codec in a QuickTime container. Set to the highest quality setting, PNG is mathematically perfectly lossless; no quality loss. (It's a cruddy choice for editing or real-time playback, but that's not what we're after in this scenario.)

• 9. Re: Premiere equivalent to Vegas Pro 'regions'?
                          Colin Brougham Level 6

How to you send them all to export in one shot?

That is the one part that is missing right now, at least when going directly from Premiere to the AME Queue. It's a one-by-one deal when you're sending Premiere Pro sequences out for export. However, you should be able to move through them pretty quickly, as the export window will maintain the export destination as well as the encoding settings. Just send one sequence to the queue (using the Queue button), and then go back to Premiere Pro and repeat.

You can add multiple Premiere Pro sequences directly to the AME Queue; however, I don't recommend this because while the PPro->AME method maintains the sequence name as the exported file name (convenient), this method uses the project name for each export and appends a serial number to each. This is pretty useless, as far as I'm concerned; you can change each export name in the queue but it's silly to have to do that. If you want to try this, open AME and go to File > Add Premiere Pro sequence. In the file dialog that appears, navigate to your Premiere project file and select it; the sequences it contains will appear in the right pane. You can select one or more of the sequences, and add them simultaneously to the queue. Once they are in the queue, select them all, and you can change the export format and preset for all exports as once. However, the destination and file name setting is on a one-by-one basis, which is why I don't particularly care for this method. You could just let the queue do its thing, and then rename them all from Explorer, I suppose.

If you'd like to see particular functionality (though I wouldn't expect the regions thing to get added, but who knows), I'd encourage you to make a feature request: Adobe - Feature Request/Bug Report Form

• 10. Re: Premiere equivalent to Vegas Pro 'regions'?
                            Reality Studio Level 1

Ok, well thanks for all the help! I tried multiple sequences and I think that will do ok for what I need. Having to send them all one by one to render is a bummer, but I'll feature request it. If you don't mind I'd like to pick your brain on a few other things:

1) For temporary files I set Premiere to use another directory on another drive as I don't want those types of file poluting my main work drive. However it's still creating some new directories/files amongst all my footage, such as "Adobe Premiere Pro Auto-Save" directory and "Encoded Files" directory. Is there any way to have it not do that? I archive all my content on blu-ray, hdd, etc, which I keep at a bank vault and I need to not have those types of temporary work directories amongst those files.

2) Do you know how many installs Premiere allows on one product key? Vegas allows 3, so I have it on my work pc and my work laptop. I was wondering if the same was possible with Premiere. It would be even better if I could also have Premiere on my mac laptop with the same product key, that would be ideal.

3) I notice initially the preview video footage looks a bit rough even though I have full resolution selected, but if I select "playback resolution -> full" again then it fixes and looks good. Seems like I have to do that once every time I load a project. Just a bug I presume?

4) I'm getting no audio on my footage in Premiere. Is this maybe just a limit on the trial app I suppose? There are two audio tracks in all my footage, a 5.1 track and a regular stereo track, but neither one appears.

• 11. Re: Premiere equivalent to Vegas Pro 'regions'?
                              Colin Brougham Level 6

Ok, well thanks for all the help! I tried multiple sequences and I think that will do ok for what I need. Having to send them all one by one to render is a bummer, but I'll feature request it.

I agree. I will join you in a feature request.

1) For temporary files I set Premiere to use another directory on another drive as I don't want those types of file poluting my main work drive. However it's still creating some new directories/files amongst all my footage, such as "Adobe Premiere Pro Auto-Save" directory and "Encoded Files" directory. Is there any way to have it not do that? I archive all my content on blu-ray, hdd, etc, which I keep at a bank vault and I need to not have those types of temporary work directories amongst those files.

No, you can't turn those off; you can turn off the Auto Save feature in preferences, but I don't know if that prevents the folder from being created or not. The Auto Save folder are project backups, so they're pretty small, and only so many are created as you specify in the preferences. The Encoded Files folder is--I guess--supposed to be where you send exports. Nothing will go there unless you specify it to go there, or put it there manually. It's slightly annoying, but I wouldn't worry about it. I've meaning to file a feature request to eliminate this automatic folder... now is the time I guess.

2) Do you know how many installs Premiere allows on one product key? Vegas allows 3, so I have it on my work pc and my work laptop. I was wondering if the same was possible with Premiere. It would be even better if I could also have Premiere on my mac laptop with the same product key, that would be ideal.

You get two concurrent activations; terms of use dictates that you're not supposed to use them simultaneously, but the kind of arrangement you're describing is (I believe) within your usage rights.

3) I notice initially the preview video footage looks a bit rough even though I have full resolution selected, but if I select "playback resolution -> full" again then it fixes and looks good. Seems like I have to do that once every time I load a project. Just a bug I presume?

Sometimes this happens to me, sometimes not. It could be a graphics driver issue (put I'm on a PC with a completely different OS and GPU), but I have no idea... so yeah... bug report

4) I'm getting no audio on my footage in Premiere. Is this maybe just a limit on the trial app I suppose? There are two audio tracks in all my footage, a 5.1 track and a regular stereo track, but neither one appears.

Possibly. Depends what your source footage is. Check here: Limitations of the Premiere Pro CS5 and CS4 trial versions

• 12. Re: Premiere equivalent to Vegas Pro 'regions'?
                                Reality Studio Level 1

Thanks again. I'll just disable auto save, kinda seemed to get in the way anyways, and I'll live with the encoded files directory for now and feature request it's removal as well. Two concurrent uses is great, so I can have it on my work pc and work laptop, both windows 7 machines. Having it on my mac laptop would have been cool as well but I can live without it. I use a dekstop windows 7 pc like you, built a core i7 with a gtx 470, so looks like the preview thing is probably a bug of some sort since it affects us both. I'll buy the full version to see if audio comes back, they offer a money back guarantee anyways so may as well try the full thing. Now time to hunt around for a cheap online price Thanks for the help everyone!

• 13. Re: Premiere equivalent to Vegas Pro 'regions'?
                                  Colin Brougham Level 6

I'll just disable auto save, kinda seemed to get in the way anyways...

Ahhh... yeaaaah. You've got a lot more confidence in Premiere Pro's stability than I do I'd really recommend NOT disabling autosaving, but instead perhaps setting the number of backups to something low--it defaults to 5 backups, with the oldest being replaced every 20 minutes. You can set the number of backups however you like, but for reference, I set my primary work machine to 10 backups, once every 5 minutes. Might seem excessive, but I can assure you it is cheap insurance. I've needed those backups on occasion--a lot less with CS5 than previous versions--but lost work sucks

The display issue may be a graphic driver issue; I'm running a GTX 480 with the hack so I can use hardware MPE. It doesn't happen all the time, and I can't figure out what concurrence of issues causes it. Eh... that's a minor gripe compared to my other issues with hardware MPE...

Anyway, good luck, and post back as needed as you (hopefully) make your transition!

• 14. Re: Premiere equivalent to Vegas Pro 'regions'?
                                    Reality Studio Level 1

In case you are curious, disabling auto save does make that diretory go away. I'm used to saving regularly so I'll give it a shot without it. The 'encoded files' directory stays empty so it won't get copied over during my backups anyways so looks like I'm good there.

Got another question for you When I render a sequence, how do I make it render only areas that actually have content? It always seems to want to render from the beginning of the sequence, even if my video files start deeper into the sequence. It's resulting in a bunch of black at the beginning of the videos I render. I tried marking the sequence in/out points right in the timeline, but it seems to ignore those at render time. I can set the work marker and tell it to render work marker area, but that's an extra step. Plus in the future I'd like to be able to just open the project and safely re-render everything without having to make sure the work marker is in the right spot on every sequence. The only way I can see so far is to group everything in a given sequence and drag it over to the beggining of the sequence, but again that's an extra step   I'd have thought the in/out markers would have worked though.

• 16. Re: Premiere equivalent to Vegas Pro 'regions'?
                                      Reality Studio Level 1

Well I ended up buying Premiere, but looks like I will be returning it. Unfortunately the trial does not reveal one very big issue (at least for me) of the full version, that of conforming audio files. In the trial audio doesn't work so I was unable to catch this. In the full product though, any footage that I add to a project goes through a lenghty conforming audio step, after which new humungous files are created. On my latest batch of video footage that I filmed today, the video footage is 14.1gb, and it created 7.53gb of conforming audio files! I frequently revisit old projects for various reasons so I simply cannot keep these .cfa files in temporary scratch space as I don't want to always wait for the conforming process every time in case they get deleted, so I have to keep them in the project folder. But adding 50% to my hdd and backup space requirements to store these files is something I simply can't do, especially since I regularly backup my footage on both hdd and blu-ray discs so the storage bump is a huge problem. I've googled around and as far as I can see the .cfa files are not an option, then must be created. Bummer

I appreciate the help everyone but looks like I'm sticking with Vegas. Thanks for all your time.

• 17. Re: Premiere equivalent to Vegas Pro 'regions'?
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

This ARTICLE by Wil Renczes will give you some additional background on Conforming.

Good luck,

Hunt