7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 21, 2013 2:03 AM by Motolo

Auto Color Effect flickers off and on

Dwilson407

I have just tried using auto color under the video adjust effects and the effect seems to flicker off and on in all of my clips. Anyone else had this problem

or is it my computer? I have a new computer with 12 GB of RAM.

Thanks

Doug

• 1. Re: Auto Color Effect flickers off and on
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Doug,

This is the rub on almost all of the "Auto" Effects. Unless the scene is absolutely constant in lighting, and needing the same exact correction, one gets a "pulsing," "strobing" or "flicker."

I strongly recommend using the Fast Color Corrector (or one of the other non-Auto Effects). Same for Auto Levels, etc.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Auto Color Effect flickers off and on
            Dwilson407 Level 1

Hunt,

I think that explains it. Thanks a lot!!

Doug

In a message dated 9/22/2010 6:49:14 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, 

forums@adobe.com writes:

Doug,

This is the rub on almost all of the "Auto"  Effects. Unless the scene is

absolutely constant in lighting, and needing the  same exact correction, one

gets a "pulsing," "strobing" or  "flicker."

I strongly recommend using the Fast Color Corrector  (or one of the other

non-Auto Effects). Same for Auto Levels,  etc.

Good  luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Auto Color Effect flickers off and on
              the_wine_snob Level 9

To be useful, the scene needs to be so very consistent, that then one probably does not need any Effects, Auto, or not. I am sure that there are some uses for the Auto Effects, but I have just never seen them. At least with Auto adjustments in PS, there are some very particular instances, where they do actually work well, but very few.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Auto Color Effect flickers off and on
                digabyte Level 1

The trick would be using "auto" to find the look you like (on a particular frame), and then applying it across the clip.  This is actually what I was looking for when I found this thread.  I assume there is a way and hope that I can find it quickly! (just doing super-rough looks so the client isn't looking at desaturated ("boring") footage when checking dailies --but would prefer to not have the flicker of "auto" because it looks like a problem with the lighting/iris)

• 5. Re: Auto Color Effect flickers off and on
                  Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Dwilson407 wrote:

I have just tried using auto color under the video adjust effects and the effect seems to flicker off and on in all of my clips. Anyone else had this problem

or is it my computer? I have a new computer with 12 GB of RAM.

Thanks

Doug

Did you just drop the effect on the clip or did you set Temporal Smoothing as wel?

• 6. Re: Auto Color Effect flickers off and on
                    digabyte Level 1

I saw the settings for Temporal Smoothing, but they didn't seem to have any effect.  I assumed they would prevent "hard swtiching" between different levels over the timeline, but the flicker did not appear to change with Temporal Smoothing selected (and/or adjusted).  Perhaps I am just not using it correctly, but as it didn't seem to have any effect, I stopped messing with it.

I have currently gone back to my usual method for quick looks color/contrast adjustment, which is simply setting levels with the "Levels" effect and picking from one of several previously created presets.

• 7. Re: Auto Color Effect flickers off and on
                      Motolo

Hey,

I'm getting that same sort of flicker from using fast colour correction. I can get so far and everything is working well, then it all goes flicker! I think i've got more than enough computing grunt but I'm a very nerw user of Adobe Premiere Pro (two weeks in) so it might be a school-boy error. Any ideas?

Thanks