3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 22, 2010 4:19 PM by ~graffiti

"Adobe Reader could not open 'filename.pdf' because it either...

brittnic2008

The full error message reads: "Abobe Reader could not open 'filename.pdf' because it is either not a supported file type or because the file has been damaged (for example, it was sent as an email attachment and wasn't correctly decoded)."

I understand this is a common problem, but I have yet to see a clearly defined answer. I am running the latest update of Abobe Reader 9.3 on Windows 7. It didn't work on other updates either.

I received the file as an e-mail attachment, along with some other PDFs. All of them can be opened except this one. I tried forwarding the e-mail to other servers (i.e. Hotmail) and I couldn't open it there either.

I have tried opening it directly from the Adobe Reader program, latest version of IE, and latest version of Firefox. I have tried unchecking the "Display PDF in Browser" box under Edit > Preferences. I have tried changing the file name and adding ".pdf" to the end of it. Nothing works.

The file says "27 KB" which sounds a little low to me since this should be a fair-sized document, but doesn't read "0 KB" as others with this problem have noted.

Any help with this issue so this question can finally be resolved for the hundreds of people that have had this error message would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.