15 Replies Latest reply on Sep 29, 2010 5:09 PM by the_wine_snob

Problems importing .mts files to organizer

DLeeGuy

I just installed Photoshop Elements and Premier Elements 9. I imported all my pictures and itworked fine. However, the organizer immediately stopped working and closed after I imported my .mts video files. When I try to restart the organizer, it starts up and then immediately freezes and I get a "Elements 9 organizer has stopped working" message and then it shuts down again.

I tried dragging the .mts files directly into the organizer and if I only do one it works fine. However, I get the same error when I try adding a second .mts file the same way. I'm running Windows 7 with 9GB of RAM and an Intel i7 930 processor, so hardware shouldn't be a problem. The videos also run fine on other software, so I'm pretty sure they're not corrupted. I also tried uninstalling both programs and then reinstalling them, but I get the same error. Any ideas on what the problem is or a fix? Tech support couldn't help me and it will be very frustrating if I can't use the organizer for my videos.

• 1. Re: Problems importing .mts files to organizer
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

How are you getting the MTS files from camcorder to computer?

Are you copying just the MTS files from the camcorder, or the entire directory?

• 2. Re: Problems importing .mts files to organizer
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Did you use the Premiere Elements Media Downloader or Video Importer to bring this files in from your camcorder -- or did you just move the files

onto your hard drive with Explorer? It does make a difference.

• 3. Re: Problems importing .mts files to organizer
              DLeeGuy Level 1

Neither - I used the Pixela ImageMixer software that came with my Canon HF S10 to move the videos from my camera to my computer. I can't navigate into the camera's hard drive to pull the videos with Explorer. The results is a folder that has a thumbnail and another folder. The second folder has the .mts file and a .cpi file. The Elements 9 organizer rejects the .cpi files when I import the videos, but I know that's not what's causing the problem since the same thing occurs when I only import the.mts files.

• 4. Re: Problems importing .mts files to organizer

Have you tried using Premiere Elements to download the video files from your camcorder rather than Pixela?

Try it and see if your results are different.

• 5. Re: Problems importing .mts files to organizer
                  DLeeGuy Level 1

I went through my videos one by one and it turns out only 2 of them make my software freeze up. So, I didn't import them and everything works fine, now. It's strange and frustrating because they still work on other software and even play in the Premier Elements editor...just not the organizer. Is there any way to fix a corrupt .mts file?

I also tried importing directly to Premier Elements from my Canon Vixia HF S10, but the software wouldn't recognize it - after reading some other posts it sounds like that's a known problem and I'll just have to deal with it. Thanks for your help!

• 6. Re: Problems importing .mts files to organizer

There are a number of people successfully using the Canon HF series cams on the community forum at Premiere Elements support site http://Muvipix.com. It should not be a problem.

I'm particularly concerned that you say Premiere Elements isn't even recognizing the USB connection to the camcorder. That should definitely not be the case and could well be indicator of a problem on a mechanical or operating system level.

• 7. Re: Problems importing .mts files to organizer
                      VDOSurfer Level 3

I don't think I will be of much help, but just wanted to share that Canon Vixia HF 10 and HF 100 have been working perfectly fine, more so in PrE9. I have been able to import clips from HF 10 (I had HF 100, gave it away....) and on a

Windows 64-bit Win 7 4 GB Dual core 3 Ghz machine

AND

iMAC 3GB

I have just loved just watching the preview in Full screen, somehow felt that vlc was not playing it as good as Premiere Elements did!!!!

I have not done anything on Organizer though, (I mean the Organizer that is a separate app, the one that opens up on clicking the Organizer button in PrE9) This is a clip that I burnt to a DVD with some funny Disc Menu and All Is Well!!

I had imported the file from USB onto my hard disk and then imported to Premiere Elements. Somehow I am of the opinion that just because the software allows you to import, you don't need to use it. I rely on Windows and MAC OSs to do that for me reliably

• 8. Re: Problems importing .mts files to organizer
                        kate5958

i am also annoyed with the MTS files, I wanted to convert the MTS files for editing purposes as working with raw MTS files is too slow.

Maybe you can try this tool.I've had good results converting the .mts files to .mov, with the settings h.264, 1200, 1280*720, 25fps, aac. The files look good on my PC running Adobe Premiere, edit easily, and convert well to DVD format.

http://camcordervideoshare.com/how-to/convert-mts-files-mpeg1mpeg2mpeg4/

• 9. Re: Problems importing .mts files to organizer
                          VDOSurfer Level 3

Kate, what is your system configuration? There are others who have felt comfortable with AVCHD in PRE9, on good configurations. So if your system RAM and processor are not good enough you will not be able to edit it satisfactorily.

• 10. Re: Problems importing .mts files to organizer
                            SibeDad

I also have a Canon HF200 Camcorder that uses .mts files and just purchased Premiere Elements 8 two months ago.  The .mts files will download to the organizer without problem, but both the downloader and the organizer show blank thumbnails.  This makes it very difficult to know which clips you are looking at without previewing them first.  I have tried converting to .m2ts files, as some suggested, but this does not work either.

I just read of the release of Premiere Elements 9, Has this problem been fixed in Premiere Elements 9?

I am using a new computer with an i7 920 @ 2.67GHz on Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit.

Thanks.

• 11. Re: Problems importing .mts files to organizer
                              VDOSurfer Level 3

You should see no such issues in PRE9, Sibedad

• 12. Re: Problems importing .mts files to organizer
                                bwentzel13@gmail.com

Steve Grisetti wrote:

Did you use the Premiere Elements Media Downloader or Video Importer to bring this files in from your camcorder -- or did you just move the files

onto your hard drive with Explorer? It does make a difference.

What difference does it make Steve?  Understanding this may help me avoid future problems.  Thanks.

• 13. Re: Problems importing .mts files to organizer
                                  fjintl

I have the same blank thumbnail problem. I just bought PRE9 because I was unhappy with Studio V14's slow/jerky performance.  I have a Canon HF20 and used Windows to move the videos (.mts's) over to my harddrive.  They are all HD videos.  I just deleted all the previous videos I had imported using Organizer and tried re-importing just one clip but got the same problem.  The clip can be inserted into a timeline and shows up with the first frame of video but has a blank thumbnail in both Organizer and PRE.  Any suggestions. 

• 14. Re: Problems importing .mts files to organizer

Well, at this point, we've got so many people bringing random issues into the same thread that it's impossible to have a conversation with any one person.

I'm sorry, folks. With a thread gets this frayed, I have to step away.

If you have an issue you'd like help with, PLEASE start your own thread. Otherwise it's just utter confusion. Thanks.

• 15. Re: Problems importing .mts files to organizer
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

And, when starting a new thread, take a look at this ARTICLE, on providing as much info, as is possible.

Good luck to all,

Hunt