17 Replies Latest reply on Sep 24, 2010 10:02 AM by the_wine_snob

Stutters, Jumps, Jerks & Hiccups

WebOfWebs Level 1

This is driving insane, so i'd really appreciate any help you can offer.

My Premiere Pro CS5 has a problem: all videos stutter. In preview(source), in the project window, in the sequence window - everywhere. Its happening to all files, of various formats & sources. After a few seconds the video pauses, then jumps forward (the sound continues normally). Often times it looks as thought the video jumps backwards a few frames, plays, then jumps forward to the correct point.

Everything was working perfectly for 6months - so i know the source files are ok, and my pc can cope.
      But i dont know what, if any, changes in the last few weeks could have caused this problem.

i've tried...
      not using Mercury Engine
      reducing my pc to single monitor
      installing latest hardware drivers, including video and sound
      reinstalling the entire adobe cs5 suite
      reinstalling all updates
      checked space, defrags, data rates, cpu & memory loads
      fiddled with ASIO settings

The videos play just fine in MPC & WMP, and even in WindowsLiveMovieMaker. So it does appear to be a Premiere problem.

Thanks for any ideas.
      [Windows 7 64bit, AMD dual core, 3GBram, multiple sata2/scsi HDs]

• 1. Re: Stutters, Jumps, Jerks & Hiccups
          Harm Millaard Level 7

It does not look like a Premiere problem  to me. It looks like a way underpowered system to me.

Players are completely different from editors. Stutters, jumps, jerks & hiccups are indicitive of a system too slow to handle your footage, which is not surprising with a dual core AMD, only 3 GB memory and no MPE. Your system is around 50 - 70 times slower than a good performing PC.

• 2. Re: Stutters, Jumps, Jerks & Hiccups
            WebOfWebs Level 1

"Everything was working perfectly for 6months"

Which part of this did you not understand?

i've seen other posters getting irritated at your unhelpful comments. I agree with them.

• 3. Re: Stutters, Jumps, Jerks & Hiccups
              Harm Millaard Level 7

6 months ago CS5 did not exist. You are comparing CS4 to CS5, comparing 32 bit versus 64 bit, so 6 months ago is completely irrelevant. For CS5 your system is way underpowered for anything but DV. You may not like it, but that is the situation. Even a retired snail is faster.

If you can't handle the truth, don't post unsubstantiated and unproperly documented semi questions. If you want help, document your problem better and lose the tone.

[edited by host]

• 4. Re: Stutters, Jumps, Jerks & Hiccups
                WebOfWebs Level 1

Your antagonistic and irrelevant posts are extremely unhelpful.

Try reading the posts before responding, and stop assuming incorrect details.

ok 5 months ago i bought it, and it worked perfectly until 3 weeks ago - low specs ha!

"You are comparing CS4 to CS5, comparing 32 bit versus 64 bit" where do you get off telling people what they have / are doing.

[edited by host]

• 5. Re: Stutters, Jumps, Jerks & Hiccups
                  Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

Please leave the antagonistic comments out of your posts.  That applies to everyone participating in this thread.

What video card do you have?  You mentioned "not using MPE" so I assume an nVIDIA card.  But if you have an ATI card, try rolling back the Catalyst drivers to 9.11 or earlier.

What other system changes have been made recently?  Don't overlook anything.

-Jeff

• 6. Re: Stutters, Jumps, Jerks & Hiccups
                    WebOfWebs Level 1

Thanks for the reply,

i have an nVidia GeForce gtx 470

and i've already tried previous drivers, but get a message "no suitable hardware found" - so i'm stuck with the latest drivers.

As for other changes - i couple of minor programs came and went (such as dvdate)

And a few updates: Windows & Autodesk (but i'm pretty certain Premiere was working after all those updates)

Now the problem seems to be only with certain files, for example this one is very bad

Type: AVI Movie
                    File Size: 349.8 MB
                    Image Size: 480 x 352
                    Pixel Depth: 0
                    Frame Rate: 29.97
                    Source Audio Format: 11025 Hz - 16 bit - Mono
                    Project Audio Format: 11025 Hz - 32 bit floating point - Mono
                    Total Duration: 00:41:43:15
                    Average Data Rate: 142 KB / second
                    Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1.0

But strangely, files that are bigger (file size, image size, audio formats, and even data rates) all play perfectly - within the same project.

I probably have every filetype/container/codec under the sun - and as yet i have not narrowed down any commonality. (by this i mean the source files given to me - NOT any additional codecs installed)

PS. i just re-checked dvdate, and its portable - so no interference there.

• 7. Re: Stutters, Jumps, Jerks & Hiccups
                      WebOfWebs Level 1

After some quick experimenting,

it appears that the files in trouble are "mpeg-4  visual" both xvid and divx varieties.

does anyone know of a quick codec repair for premiere i can try?

• 8. Re: Stutters, Jumps, Jerks & Hiccups
                        Jim_Simon Level 8
                        files that are bigger (file size, image size, audio formats, and even data rates) all play perfectly

That may not be surprising.  The problem file you listed is most definitely NOT a standard camera format, which Premiere Pro tends to prefer.  If the 'bigger' files are standard formats, it would make sense that Premiere works better with those.

As a general rule of thumb, use only media you shot yourself with a pro level video camera with Premiere.  There are consumer oriented editors that will probably work better with non-standard video formats not designed for editing, like Divx and Xvid.

• 9. Re: Stutters, Jumps, Jerks & Hiccups
                          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>xvid and divx varieties

There have been hundreds of messages over the years about problems with those files... they are simply not meant to be edited

Convert to DV AVI type 2 with 16bit 48khz sound

• 10. Re: Stutters, Jumps, Jerks & Hiccups
                            Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

DivX and XviD have always been problematic for Pr.  I don't know why Adobe doesn't have better support for those 2 codecs (or MJPEG either).  Since other MPEG4 variants *are* supported, it remains a mystery to me.

Your best option is to use a program like VirtualDub to convert your DivX and XviD files to a lossless AVI codec like Lagarith or UT.

-Jeff

1 person found this helpful
                            • 11. Re: Stutters, Jumps, Jerks & Hiccups
                              WebOfWebs Level 1

i agree its odd that adobe cant/wont support one of the most common file formats in the world?!

i return to these forums periodically to see if anyone has every worked out how to restore/fix certain codecs, without having to do a full re-install. (which rarely works as a fix)

But its always the same answers: use 3rd party software, and x-format is not a professional format for editing.

Both answers are pretty lame for such expensive software, especially when there are free tools for conversion and editing of said formats.

As i stated clearly: i was happily editing these files for months. And only recently have they caused trouble.

Obviously something has changed on my pc - maybe an update, maybe some other software...

So my original question still remains: what can i try to fix premiere?

Thanks everyone for your help. i'll be using 3rd party software to complete current projects; increasing project time by an order of magnitude most likely!

But if anyone knows a fix - rather than a workaround - do please tell us.

Cheers.

• 12. Re: Stutters, Jumps, Jerks & Hiccups
                                carny_ Level 1

Hi,

I've just posted on a similar problem on another thread so in case you have the same problem:

Do you have Realtek HD onboard audio?

Because this suddenly happened to me on my system:: core i7 2.8ghz 12 gb Ram dual quadro 3800s 2 x sata 1TB 7200 rpm  1x 60GB SSD windows 7 64

I thought it was strange because the playhead skips  back and also windows media and quicktime player, vlc etc had no problem  playing any of the files I was trying to edit with inside of Premiere.   the same thing happens in both CS4 and CS5. (and with the mercury engine gpu accelaration on or off)

I  spent ages reinstalling codecs which I thought was the problem, but my  problem is caused by the Realtek HD on-board audio driver. If you  disable the realtek audio then you can edit perfectly. i've tryed the  latest driver obviously but its still the same.

so i'm  thinking of buying audio an interface or a pci express audio card and not use the onboard audio as i  read somewhere in my research on this that onboard audio causes  all sorts of problems.

I might try some old Realtek drivers first though....

please post back if you find working drivers that solve this problem.

• 13. Re: Stutters, Jumps, Jerks & Hiccups