2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 23, 2010 9:19 AM by Todd_Kopriva

Removing brand names

Jay_119

Hi.

I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of a tool or tools and techniques that would help me remove brand name logos from HD video footage? Case in point, I have a shot where I have the actor holding a book that has the name of the book on the spine and the front of the book but he also moves with the book and I'm wondering how can I disguise or get rid of the name? Could I do a mask effect? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Jay

• 1. Re: Removing brand names
          bogiesan-gyyClL Level 3

It's all about tracking and possibly the use of AE's Mocha subsystem.

Easily researched here, in the AE manuals, and in a general Google-ish global search that includes useful (and terrible) stuff on video networks like vimeo and YT.

I must warn you, replacing or disguising elements that were captured (but should not have been) in 3D realworld space is a difficult task. Unless done expertly, the result looks fake. This can literally destroy any connection with your audience.

bogiesan

• 2. Re: Removing brand names
            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

bogiesan has given you the right general idea. Here's a page about motion tracking that includes a link to a tutorial that shows how to do this. (It's the link to the Toolfarm website that refers to obscuring a logo.)

bogiesan's point about doing it "expertly" is crucial. You can obscure a logo or brand name easily, but making it so that the viewer doesn't notice, requires more care. I find that attaching the Clone Stamp tool's strokes to the tracking data is a good way to do this well, rather than the more slap-dash way of just attaching a blur.