13 Replies Latest reply on Sep 27, 2010 8:28 AM by the_wine_snob

Image of movie too big?

Daguerre_Niepse

Hello,

I just finished my first movie with premiere CS5. I thought that everything was fine until i saw the result: the orginal scenes (in hd) seems to be too big for premiere because when i finished to make the movie i see only the middle of movie. The sides are removed.

I checked and i realized that my titles are OK, they "fit" in the rectangular form but the movies i filmed are much bigger than the "rectangular form". I don't know how to make them to fit in that rectangle. Does anyone have any ideas how to do that?

thank you for your help in advance.

Dag

• 1. Re: Image of movie too big?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Mismatch between your source material and your sequence settings. Make sure that your sequence settings EXACTLY match your source material in terms of resolution, PAR, FPS, etc.

• 2. Re: Image of movie too big?
            Daguerre_Niepse Level 1

thank you!

but how do i find this kind of information?

Nice day

• 3. Re: Image of movie too big?
              Harm Millaard Level 7

1. Check your camera. You should know WHAT format you used when shooting. Resolution, interlaced or progressive, PAL or NTSC, audio format and the like.

2. Import or capture a clip, then drag that clip to the New Item Icon and a new sequence will be created with the proper settings.

• 4. Re: Image of movie too big?
                Daguerre_Niepse Level 1

I checked the proprerties of my files and theyr are AVCHD files with the extension m2ts. They are NTSC files.

When i start a new project, the software asks me these kind of info before opening the project:

(take note that my premiere is in french so i will try to translate as best as i can)

Video: temporal code/ foot + images 16mm/ foot + image 35mm/ images

Audio: audio sample/ milliseconds

Acquisition: HDV/DV  (i picked HDV)

There is another option called reading and video rendre but i cannot make any choice.

I looked the preferences in the software, I checked looked almost every option but i'm still stuck.

I'm kinda confused right now!

Thank you again for your help M. Millard

• 5. Re: Image of movie too big?
                  Daguerre_Niepse Level 1

Oh another thing,

I had already imported the movies with the import command and when i wanted to put them in my new movie, i dragged them in the section to create the movie. Sorry again for the poor transaltion but everything is in french here.

french is a most beautiful tongue to speak but it is not the langage of the internet!

• 6. Re: Image of movie too big?
                    Bill Engeler Level 2

It sounds like the problem is then not with the sequence settings, but your export settings.

In the Adobe Media Encoder, don't use the CROP controls on the left side of the window to change size (I don't know the French command for it, but it's on the top left.)

To change the size of the output, use the controls under VIDEO on the right side of the window.  You can choose the exacrt pixel dimensions of the output movie.

To verify that your settings are correct before encoding, click on the OUTPUT tab on the left, just above where the crop command is.  This will show you exactly what the output will look like.

• 7. Re: Image of movie too big?
                      Daguerre_Niepse Level 1

Ok now i'm confused

When i was using premiere 2, i simply had to import my small movies and then i could make my movie. Now from what i understand, i need to open another software. I opened it, put some movies in it and it automatically started some kind of conversion.

What is the purpose of all this? Does the media encoder transform the movie to make it usable for premiere? My god i feel so far way from my version 2 of premiere.... Premiere 5 looks very promising but seems to lacs the simplicity of premiere 2.

• 8. Re: Image of movie too big?
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Ok now i'm confused.

When i was using premiere 2, i simply had to import my small movies and then i could make my movie. Now from what i understand, i need to open another software. I opened it, put some movies in it and it automatically started some kind of conversion.

Now I am confused. What other software are you talking about here?

The general functions of PrPro 2.0 and CS5 have not changed THAT much. In PrPro 2.0, one had to establish a Project Preset, that matched their footage 100%. It's the same in CS5, except that it is at the Sequence level now, where it was a global, Project-wide setting in PrPro 2.0.

You have a mis-match with your Sequence Preset. That is why your Titles look good, but not your source footage. The Titles are being created to match your Sequence, but your source footage does not.

CS5 has added a neat new feature - automatic Sequence creation, based on source footage. One starts their Project, and Imports their footage into it. Then, they just drag one of the Clips to the New Icon at the bottom of the Project Panel, to create a New Sequence, based on the attributes of that footage.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - my guess is that you shot 1920 x 1080 and your Project is set to 1440 x 1080, or similar, and that is why you are only seeing the interior part of your camera's Frame.

• 9. Re: Image of movie too big?
                          W214

I'm just a newbie, but in Premiere Pro itself, did you select each video clip in the timeline, then right click, and then choose "Scale to Frame Size"? I had to do that for my video in order to see it/use it properly.

Hope things work out.

• 10. Re: Image of movie too big?
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

If one's Sequence Preset matches their source footage, there is no need to Scale to Frame Size. That is for the instance where one uses footage/stills that do not match the Frame Size - those would need to be Scaled.

Hope that this helps,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Image of movie too big?