7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 23, 2010 7:26 PM by the_wine_snob

How can you get around Smart Mix limit of foreground or background?

Wesley1240

I am having trouble dealing with this limit, when I would like to have three levels of audio. Highest Narration track , then Audio 1, then soundtrack.

I wonder if a solution whould be to have just the audio and narration and then make a new AVI file. Second step would be to go back with a new project and make the NEW audio 1 forground and add a sound track as background.   Would this also help in making a DVD by a lot of the processing being done in the first step?  I just did a 37 min DVD and my XP system took 2 hours to make the DVD.  I have 2 HD and 3GB ram.

• 1. Re: How can you get around Smart Mix limit of foreground or background?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I'm not clear what the limitation is you're dealing with, Wesley.

With Smart Mix, you just designate which track(s) are master, and the other tracks will automatically lower their levels when that track or those tracks are playing. (And, of course, as I say in my new books on version 9, if you understand audio keyframing, you can easily tweak these levels afterward.)

• 2. Re: How can you get around Smart Mix limit of foreground or background?
            Wesley1240 Level 1

Steve, some of video has just background noise, so I want the Narration to be louder, which works fine. When I add a soundtrack, I would like it to be louder when Audio 1 is very low. What I have been doing is to unlink vid and aud, then clip out the unwanted sections. This isnt for pay, so I am just trying to get it done without spending so many hours.  And I cant believe vs 9 is coming already.

On the question about doing some of the work on portions of a tape and making and AVI to be put into a bigger project. Is there any harm in breaking a task up that way?

• 3. Re: How can you get around Smart Mix limit of foreground or background?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

I would suggest a slightly different workflow. First, one can add as many Audio Tracks, as are needed. I think there is a limit, but it's way up there.

Next, instead of using Smart Mix, Keyframe the Volume of each Clip, or each Track*, to provide any necessary attenuation.

*Whether one chooses Clip Volume Keyframes, or Track Volume Keyframes will depend on how they like to work, and on where they might be in the editing process. I like to do my Audio at the very end of the editing process, so that I have all Clips where I want them. I then use the Audio Mixer to add Track Keyframes, raising and lowering the volume, as I see fit. Note: Track Keyframes are just what they sound like - they are located ON the Audio Track, so if one changes Clips on that Track, the changes still apply, just as they were laid down, regardless of Clips. Hint: I find that the default setting for Track Keyframe Frequency is a bit too much, and have adjusted that Frequency down quit a bit. This is done in Edit>Preferences.

As I often use SmartSound's Sonicfire Pro to do full scoring, I will Export/Share an intermediate reference file, and use that to create my Soundtrack, for later Import. Besides Volume Attenuation, SonicFire has some fabulous controls, with almost infinite settings. All other Audio editing is done in my NLE, and then the finished Soundtrack score is added as the very last step, before final Export/Share.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: How can you get around Smart Mix limit of foreground or background?
                Wesley1240 Level 1

Bill,   I have gone the keyframe route and I learned on the last project, the evil of adding soundtrack to soon. The interleaving of stills and vid seems to go better, if I dont have to worry about the music.  I do the LYNDA.COM tutorials and I have seen audio mixer, but it looks like juggling and chewing gum to me.  Do you think I should write out an AVI of the project before I do the music and final adjustments, or at least before I do menus. Some of these projects I may never write to DVD, since kids and grandkids will probaly pitch them anyway.   [To many place and not enough people]

Thanks. W

• 5. Re: How can you get around Smart Mix limit of foreground or background?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

What I would do, if you have any trepidation, would be to do a Save_As, and increment the Project name, so that you have your unaltered PREL to fall back on. Then, play all that you want with Audio Mixer, and if you do not like what you get, or you fall into a "hole" that you can't get out of, you just Close that Project, and do not bother doing a Save. Open that original Project, do another Save_As and have another go.

What Save_As does is writes a new PREL, named as you choose, but leaves that new Project Open in the program. The original is safe and untouched.

First, I would give a listen to the whole Project, and make sure that the Master Level is set, as you like it, with nothing more than a few yellow bars - nothing into the red.

Then, address the general levels of each Track. When done, listen carefully at each Track, while you adjust its Volume up, or down. Actually, I find Audio Mixer to be great fun, and so very powerful, as it writes automation to the Volume, and Pan. I do a lot of work in DD 5.1 SS, so I also will be locating the sound source on a stage. Unfortunately, PrE does not support actually editing in, and encoding to DD 5.1 SS.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: How can you get around Smart Mix limit of foreground or background?
                    Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

But it really would be the simplest solution just to keyframe the sound manually. It's faster, much more precise and easily adjustable.

• 7. Re: How can you get around Smart Mix limit of foreground or background?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Actually, I find Audio Mixer to be the simplest and most direct workflow, but I know many, who do not like it. Guess that I spent enough time with an 8 track mixing board (we didn't have the big boards back then), and got used to those pots.

Hunt