4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 24, 2010 8:38 AM by BigJohnD

Pagemaker to PDF

bdtclark1

I am having trouble getting a Pagemaker 7 document into PDF on Windows 7. I have had no problems before but it says it it looking for the number of stories in publication. Can anyone help?

• 1. Re: Pagemaker to PDF
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

PM is completely unsupported on Windows 7. This has been discussed to death.

Search the forum and then do the smart thing and move to InDesign.

Bob

• 2. Re: Pagemaker to PDF
            bdtclark1 Level 1

Thanks Bob but I have been successfully using this combination  for some

time now and have encountered very few problems.

I have so many documents going back many years and they will  not upgrade

to InDesign so I am left using this Pagemaker 7 like many  others.

In a message dated 23/09/2010 19:10:54 GMT Daylight Time, forums@adobe.com 

writes:

PM is  completely unsupported on Windows 7. This has been discussed to 

death.

Search the forum and then do the smart thing and move to  InDesign.

Bob

• 3. Re: Pagemaker to PDF
              BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Well, this is just one of the reasons PM is dead...because even back when it was supported these kinds of things happened.

InDesign does a pretty good job opening most PM documents and creates PDFs without the use of postscript or the need for distiller.

If you want to stick with PM, I suggest you find an old machine running XP and use that. I'm sorry but that's the best advice you're going to get.

Bob

• 4. Re: Pagemaker to PDF
                BigJohnD Level 3

What Bob says is correct - there's no guarantees with PM and Win 7 as PM was never designed or adapted for it.  Run PM on Win2K or WinXP SP2 for more reliability.

You're free to see if my 10 year old pages on troubling-shooting making PDFs from PM offer any help, but the latest versions of Win 7 are very different.

http://bigjohnd.org.uk/PageMakerExportPDF/troubleshoot.htm