4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 6, 2010 7:27 PM by kding

computer for CS5 After Effects and Premiere

kding

Hi

I start bulding a new computer for my CS5 production premium

my main usage is for HD motion desing, after effects 70% of all my work

other usage

15% premiere for editing short clip (10 min max) ( footages from my canon 5d mark2)

8% photoshop

5% 3d modeling and rendering

2% illustrator

Power Supplies: CORSAIR TX Series CMPSU-950TX 950W ATX12V v2.3/EPS12V v2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE
      case: COOLER MASTER ATCS 840 RC-840-SSN1-GP
      GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD5 or ASUS Rampage III Formula
      memory:Patriot Viper II DDR3 1600MHZ 24GB Triple Channel
      prossesor:Intel Core i7-980X Extreme Edition Gulftown
      gpu: Galaxy 70XKH3HS3CUB GeForce GTX 470
      other: blackmagic Intensity Pro

hard drive option 1

4x OCZ Vertex Series OCZSSD2-1VTX120G (raid 0) (Scratch / Temp / Pagefile/ Media / Project)
      OCZ RevoDrive OCZSSDPX-1RVD0120 PCI-E x4 120GB (system and application)
      HITACHI Deskstar2TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s ( photos, vector and others files)

hard drive option 2
      4x SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 1TB (raid 5 motherboard)(Scratch / Temp / Pagefile/ Media / Project / others files)
      OCZ RevoDrive OCZSSDPX-1RVD0120 PCI-E x4 120GB (system and application)

Any advise for the hard drive option or other component would be greatly appreciate.,
      because its mostly for use after effects maybe is better to me to go with a dual xeon(4core) and a nvidia quattro card ?

Thanks,
      Fred

• 1. Re: computer for CS5 After Effects and Premiere
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Simple advice for After Effects:

RAM is king. Spend your money on getting at least 2GB (preferably 3 or 4GB) per processor core before you even think about spending money on a high-end graphics card.This advice differs from that for Premiere Pro CS5, which uses the graphics card very effectively.

Having two (or three) fast local disk drives is a good idea. This is also true for Premiere Pro.

Having multiple processor cores is good. Don't worry quite as much about clock speed as number of processor cores.

Again: For After Effects, only after you've taken care of RAM and CPUs and fast disk drives should you think about the GPU.

Once you've got the hardware, see this page about preferences and such for optimum performance:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/543440

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: computer for CS5 After Effects and Premiere
            kding Level 1

Thanks Todd

so you think i will be better for me to start whit someting like that:

Prossesor: 2x Intel Xeon E5620 Westmere 2.4GHz

Memory: 32GB Crucial 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) ECC Registered

motherboard: ASUS Z8PE-D12(ASMB4-IKVM) Dual LGA 1366 Intel 5520

still good for premiere ?

• 3. Re: computer for CS5 After Effects and Premiere
              ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

The 980X will be better for AE or Premiere until you get to the Xeon 5650's 6 cores or higher. Then you start to see the Dual Xeon performance gain in AE. The other benefit to the Xeon platform is the larger ram capacity.The 980X system will max out ram at 24GB. The Xeon boards max out ram at 48 to 96 GB on most. Some allow even more but are not the best for ram or slot configurations. If you plan on staying with 24GB of ram and wont get the 5650's or higher Xeons, then stay with the 980X system. If you plan on adding more ram in the future and also can budget for 2 of the Xeon 6 cores, then go the Xeon route. Whether you go the Xeon or 980X route, go with unbuffered Dimms. The ECC Registered Dimms slow the ram performance down and are meant for server critical applications that are run 24/7 365 days a year. Also take a look at the EVGA SR2 board if you plan on going Dual Xeon. It will give you the best performance options with ram and CPU and allow you to overclock the Xeons if you would like to at some point. It also has the best slot configuration for Xeon boards.

Eric

ADK

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: computer for CS5 After Effects and Premiere
                kding Level 1

Thanks for the infos

That`s really help me, i finnaly go whit i7 980x

I order my last parts of the computer today

the main components will be :

MB: Rampage III Extreme

GPU: Galaxy GTX 470 GC

Memory: 24GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600

Raid controller: areca ARC-1210

Raid: 4x 1TB F3

System: Vertex 2 120GB

Now i just have to wait 1 week to get it.

Ciao,

Kding