11 Replies Latest reply on Feb 9, 2011 5:06 PM by the_wine_snob

Help with Premiere Elem. 9 VST dir scan crashes

xgman Level 1

On a Mac, starting the Premiere Elemnts 9 program, the splash screen scans the VST plugins directory and crashes closed on each of about 7 different .vst audio plugins. Premiere CS5 scans ths same VST dir and has no issues. If I rename the VST plugins folder or remove the offending plugins, PE9 will startup, but I need these plugins for other programs and they work fine, Therefore I wish to know if there is any way possible to tell Premiere Elements 9 in Mac to NOT scan the VST directory at startup so I can use the program?  In windows there was some comment about a blacklist.txt file in the vst fir to avoid these plugins, but that doesn't woek in the Mac and with PE9 at least.  Any ideas?  Thanks.

• 1. Re: Help with Premiere Elem. 9 VST dir scan crashes
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

This is well worth contacting Adobe Tech Support about. Have you contacted them yet?

Some people with CS4/5 on their computers are finding conflicts between Premiere Elements installation and Creative Suite programs that run in the background, like Bridge. On Windows, it's possible to turn these background processes off until Premiere Elements is installed. I'm not sure how to do it on a Mac.

But either way, Adobe should be made aware of it.

• 2. Re: Help with Premiere Elem. 9 VST dir scan crashes
            xgman Level 1

Yes I contacted them but they don't have any cases like it so I doubt they will follow up.  If CS5 Premiere works fine with the vst scan, then Elements 9 should also I would think.  Simple solution would be for Adobe to allow to turn off scan for vst option at startup, but there is no such preference setting for mac.

• 3. Re: Help with Premiere Elem. 9 VST dir scan crashes
              the_wine_snob Level 9

There is a difference in how PrPro handles VST's, than how PrE does. With PrPro, the program will stop launching, when it encounters a VST that causes a problem. Then, it adds that VST to a blacklist, so that it will not attempt to load that one again. One has to keep launching the program, until all problem VST's are in the blacklist. Depending on the number of problem VST's, this can be many relaunches.

I had hoped that PrE 9 would adopt the "blacklist" method, but it seems that it has not - at least not that we know of. Now, that behavior in PrPro was not documented, so it took some study to figure out exactly what was happening.

For some general background on VST's, and how they work, or do not, in PrE and PrPro, this ARTICLE might offer some insight.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Help with Premiere Elem. 9 VST dir scan crashes
                xgman Level 1

Yes I tried many different starts and stops  and multiple launches of the .app to see if it cleared itself out, but it does not.  I also tried placing the blacklist.txt folder in every sinmgle conceivable location including iside (show contents) of the vst's. I can't believe they would allow this sort of behavior where you are dead in the water if a plugin is unsuitable. I'm talking about plugins like amplitube etc.  Oh well, maybe there is some way to blacklist this. I'd be happy to blacklist the entire VST dir if I could figure out how.  Is there a blacklist file in the CS5 premiere mac setup? maybe I could copy it over somehow?  Anyway thanks for your suggestions.

• 5. Re: Help with Premiere Elem. 9 VST dir scan crashes
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

I agree with you. Going back in PrPro, one user, Eddie Lotter, wrote a little program to blacklist VST's. With CS4, IIRC, that was no longer necessary. I doubt that Eddie's program would work with PrE though, and as he had major health issues, has not touched that program's development in some years. Not even sure if it's still available on line to test, and from memory, it was only available for the PC.

For me, I would love to see a blacklist system, whether automatic, or manual. The next best would be to be able to direct and limit PrE to just a folder, or two, and limit its accessing of any other folders. I can see why Adobe would like to help a user use all available VST's, but with what I term "Level 3 VST's" that is not really a "feature."

It seems that in general, the instrument VST's comprise the largest number of the Level 3 VST's, but the Level 3's are not limited to instruments.

I will also file a Feature Request with Adobe, to provide some form of blacklisting, or limiting of VST loading.

Good luck, and wish that I had some way to be of more help,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Help with Premiere Elem. 9 VST dir scan crashes
                    xgman Level 1

Any fix for this with the 9.0.1 update?

• 7. Re: Help with Premiere Elem. 9 VST dir scan crashes
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Did you see the response from Adobe Engineering, that was added to this ARTICLE? Did anything there help?

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Help with Premiere Elem. 9 VST dir scan crashes
                        xgman Level 1

Thanks. I'll try the plist editor, but the crashes repeat and PRE ELE does not remember which VST's crash and crashes over and over. It should simply automatically blacklist the offending plugins and move on, like every other similar program including Adobe Audition beta for MAC.  To make the user start editing plists is rediculous, but I do appreciate the workaround in any case.  I'll try it and see what happens.  This should be a simple thing for adobe to fix to make it transparent and usable.

by the way, what "patch" are they speaking of?

• 9. Re: Help with Premiere Elem. 9 VST dir scan crashes
                          the_wine_snob Level 9
                          It should simply automatically blacklist the offending plugins and move on...

Yes, that is the way that it works in PrPro CS3 and above. I did not know how PrE worked with the VST's, and that is why I contacted Adobe Engineering - to get a look "under the hood."

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Help with Premiere Elem. 9 VST dir scan crashes
                            xgman Level 1

The update and reinstall seemed to get past the vst scan now, so I will say this is solved. thanks again.

• 11. Re: Help with Premiere Elem. 9 VST dir scan crashes
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

That is great, great news! Kudos to Adobe Engineering for handling this situation, and including it in the patch. Good move Adobe.

Thanks for reporting your success.

Maybe mark this thread as "Answered," so that others, with this issue can come to it, for a solution.

Good luck,

Hunt