9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 26, 2012 9:06 PM by punopunopuno

Fireworks CS5 crashes often due to buggy memory handling. Will there be a patch?

jschlink

Fireworks CS5 has a major bug that causes a memory leak or memory "cap" where the application stops functioning once it has used approximately 1.5 GB of memory or so. (I read that 2GB was the cap, but I have never seen Fireworks make it to 2GB).  I only have 10 undos set in Fireworks, so I know that's not the problem. I have searched high and low to resolve this, but it seems like Adobe just hasn't recognized this as a high priority.

I read other discussions about the same problem and I now believe that Adobe either doesn't read the forums or they don't care. I hope this is not the case because I truly love the product. But, for the record, I shouldn't have to:

- "Limit the number of undos to less than 100" (I have limited mine to 10, but after 6 months of trial and error I have found that to be irrelevant. The errors occur anyway). Don't encumber your users with such an archaic request. This is like a software bug from 1985.

- "Save, shut down, and restart Fireworks every hour or so". Are you kidding? I can't believe someone on the forums even suggested this. This isn't a solution to the Fireworks bug. This is a work around that does nothing to prevent the error from occuring. Sometimes the error occurs on the very first click after opening a file in Fireworks, after a full system restart. A 5MB file takes 3 minutes to open in Fireworks on my quad-core 3Ghz machine with 8GB of memory. I don't mind that, but I shouldn't have to do it every 30 to 60 minutes. Users shouldn't have to look for "workarounds" to keep a software application running without crashing, especially such an expensive application. I think Fireworks is worth every penny, but only if it runs without crashing.

Perhaps most importantly, I cannot - ever - open two 5MB files in Fireworks at one time. Which makes it extremely cumbersome to impossible to copy/paste content between two files. In fact, I am designing a web application in Fireworks, and I've had to split the app into approximately 15 different files because Fireworks can't handle files bigger than 6 or 7MB.

I had the same problem with CS4 on a different machine, so I know it's not a new issue.  I have Fireworks installed on two PCs, both have quad core 3Ghz processors, one PC has 6GB of RAM, the other has 8GB. Once an hour I have to shut down what I'm working on and wait several minutes for Fireworks to reopen the file.  Sometimes Fireworks just stops responding and won't let me save my work at all. And since there is no autosave in Fireworks, I probably lose work at least once a day.

Please, please, please address this... I love Fireworks, and I'd really like to keep using it.

• 1. Re: Fireworks CS5 crashes often due to buggy memory handling. Will there be a patch?
          Linda Nicholls Level 4

What kind of Web App can you be building in a graphics program? What are the dimensions of your canvas? How many pages does the document contain? Unless your PCs use 64 bit operatng systems they are using only 3 GB of RAM, regardless of how much you have installed.

• 2. Re: Fireworks CS5 crashes often due to buggy memory handling. Will there be a patch?
            fabio_love Level 1

i see many times fireworks cs5 crashing when the memory exceed 1.4 gb

a normal 1920x1200 canvas document with 10 pages and some 2000x2000 pixel picture inside every page can consume 1gb of ram when opening the document.

the only fireworks cs5 with this problem is windows version, on windows 7 this problem appear normally

different on macosx where i see no problem of this kind.

i think is  a bug of the windows version and it's very annoying, because your work can be in danger, like u work and do multiple page and then save is not workimg anymore because of memory limit bug

hope this move adobe team to work seriously on this

• 3. Re: Fireworks CS5 crashes often due to buggy memory handling. Will there be a patch?
              ManticoreDentist

I completely agree-- this is an extremely disappointing problem.  I often forget to save, so have autosave set up on many of my apps.  Every 10 min. or so I sit and wait for an autosave in products like MS Visio, but I don't care about the wait.  It's worth it, instead of losing hours and hours worth of work.  I do not THINK about saving every 5 minutes on my own.  I'm involved in the task at hand, and totally bent on web app/screen design.

When my CS5 freezes up, I've tried shutting down nearly every other process on my machine, but there is no way to revive it.  4 GB ram, windows7, and with canvases that are often 3000x6000 px dimensions (typically at least 1 working canvas of that size).  I need a lot of room to design!  There is no excuse for CS5 to crash on me without prompting to save (ever).

Adobe is quickly mucking up what was once a beautiful suite of tools.

• 4. Re: Fireworks CS5 crashes often due to buggy memory handling. Will there be a patch?
                Linda Nicholls Level 4

> 4 GB ram, windows7, and with canvases that are often 3000x6000 px dimensions (typically at least 1 working canvas of that size)

Tha's your problem right there. 6000px along any dimenson is the very top size that Fireworks can handle. Add a lot of pages and layers to that and it won't work. You must keep in mind that Fireworks was developed for creating designs for Web pages. Web pages are never a large as 3000x6000 px. Also, unless you are using a 64 bit operating system, your machine isn't using more that 3 gigs of that ram.

• 6. Re: Fireworks CS5 crashes often due to buggy memory handling. Will there be a patch?
                  j.fuller@sensusmi.com

I am using Fireworks CS5 in Windows 7 to sketch a large site, and it was taking an extremely long time to do anything and seemed to crash on me once or twice every hour. I saved every couple of minutes and could at least rely on my last save being able to be reloaded. However, a few days ago, I lost a lot of work when Fireworks crashed halfway through the save and destroyed the file. At the time, my most recent backup copy that I had on another drive was a day old, so that crash was not only frustrating but hazardous to my project deadlines (needless to say, I've since implemented a more aggressive backup policy). Anyway, I searched for answers and forums about the problem, and I'm disappointed that it seems that it's a common problem for a lot of folks that has been around for a very long time throughout multiple releases of the software. Memory and resources also seem to be a common factor in contributing to the crashes and are also a theme in the few solution responses that I was able to find. I hope that Adobe will respond with a once-and-for-all fix / a much more efficient and stable way for Fireworks to do its magic. I typically have had very positive things to say about Adobe software and was even the one who recommended the suite for my work, but especially as "well seasoned" and *expensive* as the software is, there is no excuse for any major, well-tested component of it by now to be crashing so consistenly and causing so many problems for so many people.

The solution to the crashing that seems to work for me so far - and I hope that it works for you as well: I doubled the size of my swap/paging file to ~4GB and set the maximum to double that (~8GB). Since I did that, Fireworks has only crashed once (only once.. as if that is even acceptable considering the short time since then). It still runs fairly slowly (granted, I'm working on a large project, so I can tolerate that more), but at least I can use it again.

Hope that helps! Best,

-j

• 7. Re: Fireworks CS5 crashes often due to buggy memory handling. Will there be a patch?
                    pordux2

Im so disapointed... every new fireworks release is worst than the previews version... i cant remember this crashing problems when fireworks was a macromedia product... it worked just fine...

I have a windows 7 prodessional  pc, 64bit- 

16 Gb memory,

inteCore i5 3.3Hhz,

2 Tera hdd for files

dedicated 256Gb SSD hdd for WindowsOS and Adobe Design premium cs5.5

Even with this good machine, fireworks crashes 4 or 5 times a day, sometimes it just crashes when i export a png image of 200k, and sometimes it just appears som "not enough memory" sign, and then crashes....

and is the only program that crashes, everything else works perfect!

I really like Fireworks, everything i do i do it with this program but is so frustraiting....

• 8. Re: Fireworks CS5 crashes often due to buggy memory handling. Will there be a patch?
                      autonomously

The previous post was correct. I've used Fireworks since version 4 – when it was a Macromedia product – and the memory leak has always happened.

The only thing you can do is save all files, close the app, and restart it.

It's particularly noticeable when working with large amounts of text. It's always been like that and most likely it will never be fixed.

• 9. Re: Fireworks CS5 crashes often due to buggy memory handling. Will there be a patch?
                        punopunopuno Level 1

Hi Jim,

The link is taking me to an Adobe Marketplace Become a Published form. Do I have to sign that to get the extension?