10 Replies Latest reply on Sep 24, 2010 1:14 AM by VDOSurfer

No Green Screen?

hlef Level 1

So, I downloaded the trial of Premiere Elements for the Mac.  I am pretty impressed, except for one major thing.  I noticed, from looking under the keying effects, and then searching in the help files, that Blue Screen and Green Screen effects are not available in the Mac version of PE9 (though they are available in the Windows version).  WHAT?  One of the major things I do with video is shooting with green screen effects.  Why is this missing from the Mac version?  Is this just in the trial?  Is it going to be added into a future version?  I can do this with almost any other Mac video editor.  I actually own FC Express, and in many ways, except for this one problem, I like PE9 better.  This seems like an outrageous mistake, or shameful omission.

I am really upset about this, and this for me is a dealbreaker for buying PE9 right now.

With peace,

Henry

• 1. Re: No Green Screen?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Wow! I'm as surprised as you -- but the Mac version indeed does not include Green Screen, Blue Screen or Chroma Key. (They are included with the PC version.)

The only alternative is Videormerge, which functions essentially the same way but without as many adjustment controls.

Guess this means you'll be moving on to another program. Hope you'll contact Adobe and let them know your thoughts.

• 2. Re: No Green Screen?
            hlef Level 1

I would like to contact Adobe about this, but I can't find a suitable way to do this, and more importantly, a way where my opinion will really be heard and responded to.  I think this is perhaps something that a large group of people should respond to.

With peace,

Henry

• 3. Re: No Green Screen?

There's a Contact button at the top of every page on this web site, including this one. That's the best way to contact Adobe.

Meantime, I'm installing the additional content pack for Premiere Elements Mac to see if maybe the effects are included in it.

Have you installed it yet?

• 4. Re: No Green Screen?
                hlef Level 1

I would install it, but I had the same problem that I saw mentioned elsewhere in the forum with downloading the file.  The last time I tried to download it, it pointed me to the install file (in spite of the description on the web page).  Also, I doubt that the effects would be part of the additional content, given that the help file says that Green Screen is for Windows only.

Also, the contact button doesn't seem to lead me to any options for contact which fit my situation, especially since I am not a registered user.

With peace,

Henry

• 5. Re: No Green Screen?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

In PrPro, there are quite a few Effects that do not exist X-platform. This CS4 LIST covers them. Now, CS5 also lost some Effects and Transitions, due to both 64-bit (not an issue with PrE), and with the MPE (again, not an issue here).

Still, different Effects for different platforms.

Hunt

• 6. Re: No Green Screen?
                    hlef Level 1

Green Screen/Chroma Key should be a basic effect.  Almost every video editor on any level of any platform I've ever seen has it.

This is not good!

With peace,

Henry

• 7. Re: No Green Screen?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

I would think so too, but if you look at that list, some of those are pretty common and basic, but do not exist X-platform.

To date, I have not gotten a good reply as to exactly why there is such a difference.

For the loss of some recently, Adobe employees have been quick to explain the loss of each, but this is different.

Hunt

• 8. Re: No Green Screen?

Well, I've installed the additonal content for the Mac version and, indeed, there is no Green Screen, Blue Screen or Chroma Key included with the program -- major omissions, if you ask me. Although Videomerge at least makes the effect somewhat available on a reduced scale.

I must say, I'm pretty shocked myself! These effects have been a part of the PC version of the program since version 1!

• 9. Re: No Green Screen?
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve,

Thanks for checking that one out. I hope that an Adobe employee can address this omission on the Mac, and explain why. It has to be related to the graphic display differences, but so far, we've never gotten a definitive answer on the PrPro Effects.

Hunt

• 10. Re: No Green Screen?
                            VDOSurfer Level 3

To get around wth the Green screen omission, we can use VideoMerge and get the same result. In fact, with Videomerge + Track Matte, we can get the exact effect.. This is what I tried.

Video track 1 - Any video

Video track 3 - Video that has the green screen-ed video

Video track 2 - A video whose mask can be used.

On Video track 3, apply videomerge

On Video track 2 - apply Track Matte effect

Check if you get the same effect, I did... Hope I am not completely off track.