18 Replies Latest reply: Apr 29, 2013 7:07 AM by the_wine_snob RSS

Adobe 9 Premiere Elements "file not supported or codec not installed"?

Spacemen Spiff

I am trying the Adobe Premiere Elements 9 trial version to determine if I should upgrade from Premiere Elements 7.  I was able to perform a "get media" on an AVI file and was able to create a DVD (including menus and chapters) that I can view in my DVD player in PE7.

I decided to create the same DVD project using PE9 so I could compare both programs.  When I perform a "get media" on the same AVI file in PE9, I receive the following message: :This type of file is not supported, or the required codec is not installed."  I'm not sure why I was able to successfully process the AVI file in PE7 but not in PE9.

The AVI file characteristics are Video: 640(w)x480(h), data rate: 1329kbps, bitrate: 1448kbps, frame rate: 29 frames/second; Audio: bit rate: 118kbps, channels: 2 (stereo), sample rate: 48 kHz.

Anyone have any ideas or suggesstions?  Thanks!

• 1. Re: Adobe 9 Premiere Elements "file not supported or codec not installed"?
          VDOSurfer Community Member

Is there a way you can share that file with us? I have the full version of PRE9 and if I can

import it, it will mean that it has to do with activation. PE7 could have activated because you have the version with a correct serial number and PE9 didn't because it is trial..

Just a possibility.

I can check on Windows and MAC and let you know if it is alright qith you.... Any file server is fine by me.

• 2. Re: Adobe 9 Premiere Elements "file not supported or codec not installed"?
            Sjokomelk Community Member

Could be a limitation, that the codec you are trying to use is limited by Premiere Elements 9, until you purchase the full product.

I know this is done with premiere pro ( http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/407/kb407938.html ). A lot of codecs are protected by licenses and therefore not available unless you buy the software.

Also remember that .avi isn't a codec, that's a container. Just a filename extension that wraps audio and video inside it, but the codec used can be hundres of different types.

I couldn't find anywhere that there are those limitations in PRE 9, but I assume it is. The error message clearly states that there's a codec issue and that's the same error (if I recall correctly) you get in PPro as well if you have a trial and try to use a codec covered by a license.

• 3. Re: Adobe 9 Premiere Elements "file not supported or codec not installed"?
              the_wine_snob Community Member

The most important aspect of that AVI is the CODEC. This ARTICLE will give you some background and also tell you how to gather the necessary info.

It is odd that and earlier version of PrE has no issues, but PrE 9 does. For working with CODEC's, those are installed on the system, and then the NLE program works with those. What this means is that if a particular CODEC is installed on the system correctly, and PrE can work with it, all versions should be able to work with it.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Adobe 9 Premiere Elements "file not supported or codec not installed"?

PrPro trial does have a major limitation, and that is the crippling of anything MPEG-2. The only limitation (unless things have changed drastically) with the PrE trial is that the Project has a watermark banner.

Hunt

• 5. Re: Adobe 9 Premiere Elements "file not supported or codec not installed"?
                  Spacemen Spiff Community Member

Thank you all for your responses.  I will follow up on some of the suggesstions made, and if all else fails, I will look into sharing the file.  I'll let you know the results of my further analysis.  Once again, thank you all.

• 6. Re: Adobe 9 Premiere Elements "file not supported or codec not installed"?
                    Chris Terblanche

Hi There,

I have the same problem with the full purchased version.  This eliminates the fact that it might have codec limitations on it.  I am very disappointed in ADOBE for selling a product which cannot import AVI files, since all our cameras we use on our Superbikes create AVI format footage.  Any ideas on what to download or how to tweak the Adobe Premiere Elements 9 to allow importing of AVI files?

• 7. Re: Adobe 9 Premiere Elements "file not supported or codec not installed"?

Chris,

Welcome to the forum.

When you say "AVI," it is like saying "automobile." It could be a Lamborghini Gallardo, or a Citroën 2CV. Both are automobiles, though very, very different automobiles. To get a better handle on "AVI," take a look at this ARTICLE. In that article, you will get some tips on finding out the full specs. of the AVI files. If you post those specs., then someone can help you figure out how to handle them.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Adobe 9 Premiere Elements "file not supported or codec not installed"?
                        Chris Terblanche Community Member

Hi Bill,

I see on the link I have to do plenty research and apply a lot of time to obtain information on technical data to get a sufficient result.  In summary, we've purchased the product to work just like Cyberlink PowerDirector 9 without any issues.  I would have thought that ADOBE would be one step ahead.  When I one day have enough time to allocate to this I will pursue it, for now I have a life and will revert back to Cyberlink software.  Perhaps ADOBE should have made it clear on the packaging that it will not work with most AVI files based on the fact that it is only a container.  Thank you for the time though.  Enjoy your day.

Thank You,

Chris Terblanche

• 9. Re: Adobe 9 Premiere Elements "file not supported or codec not installed"?

Chris,

There are probably 2000 possible CODEC's, with all the variations and tweaks, that can be placed in an AVI wrapper. Recently, some camera mfgrs. have begun wrapping H.264 material, tweaked from the norm, inside of AVI's. Why? I have no clue, but those cause all sort of issues with NLE programs - yet it is being done. To a lesser degree, the same can be said for MOV, WMV and even MPEG/MP4 wrappers. Knowing the file's format is meaningless, especially with the above cited case of H.264 inside of an AVI.

The great free utilities, G-Spot, or MediaInfo, will tell you pretty much all that you need to know about the file(s).

Premiere Elements, and also PrPro, are designed to work well with myriad file types, and specs., but certainly not all. PrE handles some consumer file types, better than its "big brother," but PrPro handles many professional file types, that PrE cannot touch.

I have CyberLink's PowerDirector (older version), and Magix MovieEdit Pro (also older), as each handles some specific file types and specs., better than either my PrE, or PrPro. Along wil those, basically used as converters, I have a great conversion program, DigitalMedia Converter 2.7, and will often take "odd" material into it, to be batch converted to something that PrE, or PrPro loves, like DV-AVI Type II's, for SD material.

The world of Video is very involved, and one needs to grasp the concept of CODEC's very early on, as they are the building blocks of Video files (and Audio files too). Each quarter, there are probably a dozen new ones, or variations on older ones, utilized by camera mfgrs. For a bit of background on CODEC's, see this ARTICLE. [Could be linked from the earlier article?]

Good luck, and let us know what is inside that AVI wrapper. Someone will know how best to handle it.

Hunt

• 10. Re: Adobe 9 Premiere Elements "file not supported or codec not installed"?
                            Winter_phnx

I've been having the same problem with avi video not importing. I followed Bill's advice and got the proper CODECs. But PrE9 still wont upload it. Any other ideas?

• 11. Re: Adobe 9 Premiere Elements "file not supported or codec not installed"?
                              Steve Grisetti MVP

Not all codecs are usable by all video editors, Winter. Just because you have the codec doesn't mean you'll be able to edit the file. You'll likely need to convert it.

Which codec did the file use? Is it a standard def or high resolution video?

• 12. Re: Adobe 9 Premiere Elements "file not supported or codec not installed"?

What is that CODEC?

As Steve mentions, not all CODEC's can be used by PrE.

With a CODEC, here are the main functions:

1. CODEC is needed for playback (most systems will work well with most CODEC's for playback)
                                2. CODEC is needed to Encode material (here the NLE, or conversion program will determine if it can use the CODEC for Encoding)
                                3. CODEC is needed to edit the material (here the NLE program will be the limiting factor - some work with some CODEC's, but only a tiny subset of all possible CODEC's)

It just depends on the exact CODEC, and then on the exact NLE (Non Linear Editor) program. For instance, Premiere seldom works with editing DivX/Xvid CODEC, while some other NLE's have little trouble, so long as the exact version of the CODEC is properly installed onto the system. Some users have reported that they can Import and edit the latest DivX material, with that CODEC installed in PrE 9.0, but from other reports, that does not seem to be any sort of universal.

Good luck, and let us know which CODEC you are referring to, please.

Hunt

• 13. Re: Adobe 9 Premiere Elements "file not supported or codec not installed"?
                                  SeattleLee

I  have the full PRE10 and cannot import an AVI file from my Nikon Coolpix. Following other's advice I analyzed it with GSpot and it says there is nothing special about this movie and it plays quite nicely with the GSpot viewer. Movie opens nicely in WMP. Other than to say that Codecs are complicated and there are a lot of them, anyone have any advice on what I need to do to get PRE10 to read this movie? Seems like it's a pretty trivial thing that PRE10 should have supported right out of the box...Thanks!

• 14. Re: Adobe 9 Premiere Elements "file not supported or codec not installed"?
                                    A.T. Romano Community Member

SeattleLee

What model Nikon Coolpix camera is this .avi file coming from?

ATR

• 15. Re: Adobe 9 Premiere Elements "file not supported or codec not installed"?

Many Nikons produce MJPEG CODEC files, wrapped in an AVI container. What did G-Spot say about the CODEC in your AVI file?

Because many Nikons use MJPEG, does not mean that yours does, so ATR's question is very important.

If it IS MJPEG, then this article will be useful: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4079377#4079377

While there are some great "generic" MJPEG CODEC's, like the Morgan and the MainConcept, it is often best (and sometimes necessary), to use the exact MJPEG CODEC from the camera's mfgr. To install that, there are three possibilities, but they depend on the exact camera:

There will be a separate CODEC installer on the utility disc (not as common, as it should be)

There will be a camera driver, that will install the CODEC (less often seen nowadays)

There will be an MJPEG CODEC (the exact one needed) installed along with the camera's editing, and/or cataloging utilities (most common nowadays)

Letting us know more about your CoolPix, and what G-Spot found for the CODEC in the AVI's will be important.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 16. Re: Adobe 9 Premiere Elements "file not supported or codec not installed"?
                                        SeattleLee Community Member

ATR and Bill, thanks for your replies. It is a Coolpix S4000. Seems like yes it is a MJPEG. GSpot says:

Video Codec: MJPG. Name: Motion JPEG.
                                        Audio codec: PCM Audio;
                                        Info: 22050 Hz; 353 kb/s (1 chnl). Stat: No codec required.

I was able to use RealPlayer Converter to convert it to MP4 and it then imported into PRE10 ok, but it would be great to be able to save a step for every video.

Hunt, thanks for the pointer to your article. I will look for the installation disk when I return home. (I'm travelling and this is a new installation on a new replacement laptop)

What I don't understand is why I would need a different, or additional, codec for PRE10 if the video plays nicely in WMP and RealPlayer?

Thanks!

Lee

• 17. Re: Adobe 9 Premiere Elements "file not supported or codec not installed"?
                                          A.T. Romano Community Member

Seattle Lee

Thanks for the additional information.

I have not seen the Motion JPEG and Premiere Elements issue posted in a while. But typically the fix is either conversion to another format or installed of the Morgan MotionJPEG codec (looked at first as the tryout and purchased if that does the job).

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/audio_video/codecs/morgan_m-jpeg_codec.cfm

Typically the codecs required for Premiere Elements come with the program, come from installed players, such as QuickTime and Windows Media Players and other. I do not have all the whys, but, if this is one of these MotionJPEG issues, the installation of the Morgan MotionJPEG codec should solve your problem and avoid the extra step of a conversion. I would encourage you to try it. One way or another, the result will help us to rule in or out the MotionJPEG codec in all this.

We will be looking forward to your results.

Thanks.

ATR

• 18. Re: Adobe 9 Premiere Elements "file not supported or codec not installed"?

Lee,

As mentioned, there are several "flavors" of MJPEG, and some work fine for playback, and some also for Encoding. However, editing can be quite different, and some of those, that work in other cases, do not, when the footage is being edited.

As ATR mentioned, the Morgan (and also the MainConcept) usually work just fine, though they are both "generic" MJPEG CODEC's. There have been many instances, where they did not work with certain camera footage. That is because the camera's mfgr. has tweaked their version of that older MJPEG CODEC, to improve upon its performance. Not a bad thing really, but it can mean that other MJPEG CODEC's do not fully work.

In my family, we have three cameras, from different mfgrs., that shoot video with MJPEG, often in an AVI wrapper. I have installed the editing/cataloging utilities for all three of those cameras, though I do not plan on using that software. The reason is to get the exact version of MJPEG for each of those cameras, though I also have Morgan & MainConcept's versions too. When I was commercially editing, I needed to be able to handle almost everything that a client could throw at me, so have more installed CODEC's, than just for my personal cameras.

I would definitely give the Morgan MJPEG a trial. It is very good, and if it's close enough to that CoolPix's version, you should be able to edit the footage. If not, look at the camera's utility disc. It should have the Nikon version of the MJPEG CODEC somewhere, though that "where" might not be obvious. In my cases, the cameras' MJPEG CODEC's were installed with other software. [Rant Mode ON] I wish that camera mfgrs. would include an installer JUST for their CODEC's, and NOT force the user to install other software, that might never be used. [Rant Mode OFF]

Good luck, and let us know exactly which MJPEG CODEC works for you. You should NOT have to convert the footage, but you might need to install Nikon's utilities, to get their specific version of the MJPEG CODEC.

Hunt