16 Replies Latest reply on Oct 1, 2010 6:35 AM by ECBowen

Raid is beeping  Raid Set #000 :3.4 Disks:Degraded

Rowby Goren Level 1

Hello all,

I have a

Areca  ARC-1680D-IX 12-ports SAS RAID

This morning it started rapidly beeping during edit session.  I tried several fixes, none worked.  I have a call into Areca tech support.  Hopefully they will get back to me today.

One issue is this, and perhaps someone on this board has an answer.

I have 4 hard drives in my raid.  And a separate operating OS hard drive (Windows 7)  According to my notes I have a "Raid 3"

During the boot I can get into the Areca raid configuration.

System info:

CPU ICache Size:  32KB

CUP DCache Size:  32KB/Write Back

CPU SCache size:  512/write back

SYstem memory:   512MB/533MHzzECC

Firmware version: V1.48 2010-07-08

Boot Rom version:  V1.48 201001-04

SAS Firmware Versin 4.7.3.0

Controller Name:  ARC-1680

Today's date  07:47:57  Enc#2 SLOW 10  TIme Out Error

Today's date: 07:48:03   ARC-1680-VOL#000 Volune Degraded

Today's date: 07:48:05   Raid Set # 000  RaidSet Degraded

Today's date: 07:48:16   Raid Set # 000  Time Out Error

Under PHYSICAL DRIVE FUNCTION > View Drive Information I see this:

Select the drive

Blahblah 09    1000.2GB   RaidSet Member SamSung HD103SJ

Blahblah 10    1000.2GB     Free                 SamSung HD103SJ

Blahblah 11    1000.2GB   RaidSet Member SamSung HD103SJ

Blahblah 12    1000.2GB   RaidSet Member SamSung HD103SJ

The "FREE" looks suspicious.

Unerer Raid Set information I get "Raid Set #000 :3.4 Disks:Degraded"

Any thoughts if this could be the cause?  And if so how to fix it.

BTW under "Rescue Raid Set"  It says Enter The Operation Key"  Not sure what that means.

----------------  AS I WAIT FOR a response, I have found more infomration: -------

In the ARECA configurator I find this snippet in the error log:

Today's date  07:47:57  Enc#2 SLOT 10  TIme Out Error

Today's date: 07:48:03   ARC-1680-VOL#000 Volune Degraded

Today's date: 07:48:05   Raid Set # 000  RaidSet Degraded

Today's date: 07:48:16   Raid Set # 000  Time Out Error

--------------------------

I found this on http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1303102

This is all too common with areca cards, heres what you need to do

go to "rescue RAID set" in the webgui

then follow this sequence (case is important)

RESCUE
      reboot
      SIGNAT

LeVeL2ReScUe
      reboot
      SIGNAT

That usually saves most arrays.  IVe never seen RESCUE to work on its  own, but LeVeL2ReScUe almost always works.  Also, SIGNAT is important,  dont forget it

Hope that helps (i originally learned all i know at 2cpu, as was mentioned above)

----------------------------------- END OF FORUM POST---------------------

FYI    Below is what I sent Areca support:  (Any help on this forum is always valued!)   ...Rowby

-------------------  To Areca Tech support ----------------------------------

This morning while editing I suddenly starting hearing rapid beeping.  I turned off the machine.

When I rebooted it went through the startup and just as it was in "PCI functionality" the computer started rapid beeping.

After several seconds I got the message "Reboot and select proper boot device or instert boot media in selected boot device and press a key".

I rebooted several times and got the same message.

I disabled your board and was able to start windows 7 normally.  Without any beeping.

• 1. Re: Raid is beeping  Raid Set #000 :3.4 Disks:Degraded
          ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

You ran into the Drive timeout issue I have spoke about before. Looks like the raid controller was trying to address to a bad block on that Samsung drive that shows as free now and did not get a response back from the drive. The controller marked the drive out as bad.  When the system booted to windows the drive still initialized and now the controller is confused and does not recognize the metadata on the drive as part of the raid 3 array that is now showing as degraded since it thinks the drive is missing. The command listed in the forums sounds right. Intel controllers have a similar command called scan for foreign configurations which looks for drives with raid metadata on them. Then it gives you a rescue options which allows you to import that drive back into the raid volume. The commands the  poster lists likely does the same thing for the Areca controller. I would definitely follow the instructions listed. BTW that Samsung drive might be starting to fail. If it drops out again then bad blocks are developing on that drive or it's non responsive during smart queries. Either one normally points to a drive failure probably is coming in the near future.

Eric

ADK

• 2. Re: Raid is beeping  Raid Set #000 :3.4 Disks:Degraded
            Rowby Goren Level 1

Hi Eric

I think I have been able to restore the raid using the suggestions on the other board.

Now I am having this problem.  And since you seem knowledgeable on ARECA cards, here is my latest issue.

Perhaps you or someone else can help me here.  (I also sent it to ARECA tech support.  But it's a friday and I'm asking as many people as possible!)

See attached screne shots:

Problem:

WITHOUT the ARECA card plugged in the MOBO bios is showing the OS hard drive as the first boot dirve.  ANd windows 7 starts normally

However  with the ARECA card plugged in the MOBO bios is NOT showing the OS hard  drive at all.  HOWEVER before the MOBO BIOS displays, DOS is showing the  os hard drive -- just like it does withOUT the areca card plugged in.

Please see attached SCREEN SHOTS

It's almost as if the areca card  is preventing the MOBO motherboard  BIOS Setup from seeing the OS hard  drive.  Because with the areca card NOT installed the MOBO Bios IS seeing  that OS hard drive.

I'm sure there is a simple solution

• 3. Re: Raid is beeping  Raid Set #000 :3.4 Disks:Degraded
              Rowby Goren Level 1

Fixed.

I dug deeper into the MOBO configuaration and was able to resolve the boot issue.

Now all is fine!

I think the original problem was caused by a loose cable to one of the hard drives.  While it might be a signal of future hard drive failure, I think, in fact, it was a cable issue that caused me all these headaches this moring.

Rowby

• 4. Re: Raid is beeping  Raid Set #000 :3.4 Disks:Degraded
                Harm Millaard Level 7

Rowby,

Out of curiosity, the D version you have, is that a new updated version? I notice that your SAS firmware version is 4.7.3.0 and I have not found anything later than 4.4.3.0. The other firmware is the same as I have, so where did you get this SAS firmware version?

Glad you solved your issue. I was looking into it, but you were too fast for me to respond.

• 5. Re: Raid is beeping  Raid Set #000 :3.4 Disks:Degraded
                  Baz R Level 3

Harm

I will check my setup and be in touch,

Baz

• 6. Re: Raid is beeping  Raid Set #000 :3.4 Disks:Degraded
                    rowby Level 1

Hi Harm,

I just double checked, and yes I have SAS Firmware version 4.7.3.0  See screenb shot.

Not sure how it got there, however Areca replaced my problem board with a new one, so perhaps the firmware came pre-installed?

BTW I am now making a backup of my current project  from my raid.  For now I'm using an external drive to back it up, since I have one.

I will shortly be re-reading your post regarding backups of raids.  Can you point me to it.

As I recall you said in that post, to get a couple of 1TB internal drives and make them hotswappable.

Rowby

• 7. Re: Raid is beeping  Raid Set #000 :3.4 Disks:Degraded
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

Rowby,

If you use hot-swappable bays, you can use multiple sets of disks. Swap out your raid for client X and insert a new raid for client Y. An alternative may be to use a NAS, especially if you can use teamed NIC's. Look at this list:

25-9-2010 10-29-17.png

I don't remember having done an article on backup of raid systems, but I consider that a sensible request.

• 8. Re: Raid is beeping  Raid Set #000 :3.4 Disks:Degraded
                        rowby Level 1

Looking forward to an article from you on backing up of raids.   More and more of us are going to need to do this with raids.

• 9. Re: Raid is beeping  Raid Set #000 :3.4 Disks:Degraded
                          JEShort01 Level 4

Rowby,

Just a quick FYI, your exact model number of Samsung hard drive does not show up on Areca's compatibility matrix, however EVERY Samsung drive that was tested has been marked NOT COMPATIBLE with SAS RAID Cards (your 1680 I belive falls into that class). You may have better luck in the long term by changing drives as messy as that may sound.

Sorry for that news, but do realize that I'm only trying to help.

BTW, I have and love a 1680ix card too and run a combination of WD RE3 1TB drives which have TLER enabled by default and WD Black 1TB drives with TLER enabled (these were purchased and TLER'd before WD changed their firmware to prevent this tweak). This array has NEVER missed a beat, never had an error, and performs so well on everything that it does.

Good luck!

Jim

• 10. Re: Raid is beeping  Raid Set #000 :3.4 Disks:Degraded
                            rowby Level 1

Thanks for that info Jim.

Once I finish this project I think I will get the drive compatibility issue fixed!

Rowby

• 11. Re: Raid is beeping  Raid Set #000 :3.4 Disks:Degraded
                              rowby Level 1

What TB brand drives and model would you recommend (Western Digital?) since the ones you have apparently are not available now.

I would think I will replace (sooner than later) my Samsungs with more relable drives -- and perhaps use the Samsungs for archiving projects that are unlikelyi going to ever be needed to be recreated in the future!

(For now I need to stick with my current samsung until I finish this project hopefully this week).

At the moment, if you look at my other thread here, I am reinstalling the raid and replacing the main offending drive.

Since this started, I have been doing multiple backups daily!

Rowby

• 12. Re: Raid is beeping  Raid Set #000 :3.4 Disks:Degraded
                                JEShort01 Level 4

Rowby,

I'm just a user and am not current on all drives that are currently available, so I certainly cannot recommend what you should get. I do believe though that the RE3 1TB WD's that I use are certainly still available but are probably more than twice the cost of what you can buy Samsungs for; 1TB WD Blacks that accept the TLER setting are not likely available any more. Possibly someone can offer Areca drive recommendations that has a lot more knowledge than I.

Do be aware that "RAID" drives, often called Enterprise drives by the SATA manufacturers, are WAY more expensive than their consumer brethern. That being said, your current issues do sound like a nightmare and you may prefer to throw dollars (pounds, Reals, whatever) at if for now to insure that this problem would go away forever. If so, do check out Areca's recommended drive list. I use hard drives to backup my RAID data, and if you do the same your Samsung 1TB's should work great for that purpose.

Jim

• 13. Re: Raid is beeping  Raid Set #000 :3.4 Disks:Degraded
                                  rowby Level 1

Hi

That's what I have been thinking.  I would confirm with Areca which drives the recommend, replace them, and then use the Samsungs for backups only not as active raid drives.

Anyway that will be about a week off until I finish this project.  (I am doing regularn twice daily backups in the meantime)

In the meantime I am replacing one failing drive later today (as soon as it arrives from Amazon).

Rowby

• 14. Re: Raid is beeping  Raid Set #000 :3.4 Disks:Degraded
                                    Harm Millaard Level 7

Rowby,

Despite the fact that Areca mentioned that Samsung drives were not on the approved list over a year ago, I have been rather obtuse in doing anything about it. Mind you I have 16 1TB Samsungs in my system and just throwing them away seemed like a waste. In the past year and a half I had two disk replacements under warranty, one on a two disk raid0 on a Marvell chip, and one on my 12 disk raid30. Both replacements were more than a year ago. I haven't had a single problem since then. However there are many people around here who use and have used Samsung disks for a long time with Areca controllers without any problem.

I consider the warning as overly cautious. Also keep in mind that it is far easier for a disk manufacturer to test with a raid controller, than the other way around, so maybe Areca did not even test with Samsungs. Last, I have had much more problems with Seagates than with Samsungs. I mean 2 out of 16 Samsungs to replace versus 5 out of 7 Seagates.

• 15. Re: Raid is beeping  Raid Set #000 :3.4 Disks:Degraded
                                      rowby Level 1

Hi Harm,

It's good to hear your good results with the Samsung,  so I will be aware of the warning but not hurry to do a replacement.  I have done some googling on the issue and saw at leaset one post saying that Areca needs to update their recommended list for the samsungs.

I am certainly learning more about raids here!!

Rowby

• 16. Re: Raid is beeping  Raid Set #000 :3.4 Disks:Degraded
                                        ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

It looks like all of the drive manufacturers are locking  down their timeout feature to the enterprise drives. If you are not going to get those drives then I would stay with the Samsung drives you have. You may have a drive occasionally prematurely drop out of a raid with them  if the drive tries to address to a bad sector. Just mark the drive as good and rebuild the array. Make sure you run a parity  check after. Then see if the same drive drops out again within a short time. If it does then RMA  the drive. If not that was just 1 bad sector the drive had. Also potentially you could write zeros to  a drive that drops out to eliminate bad sectors in the table and then rebuild the drive in the array.

Eric ADK