4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 24, 2010 9:40 PM by JamesBeschen

AE CS3 Parenting not yielding good results...

JamesBeschen

Hello All,

Curious to know if there is a particular method to get a child layer/object to retain all the applied effects of the parent layer/object...?

My parent layer, which is a frame for a video thumbnail, utilizes a few transform properties and a wiggle effect. When I place the actual video thumbnail on a layer and parent it to the frame, the movements/transformations and wiggle do not align properly. After some research, it seems I am doing this correctly; however, my results do not keep the two objects in sync very well...

Any direction is greatly appreciated,

Jim

• 1. Re: AE CS3 Parenting not yielding good results...
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Effects aren't transferred to a child from a parent. A child layer only inherits the transform properties from the parent. See "Parent and child layers".

You can link properties of effects and such from one layer to another using expressions. It's quite common to create a master null object layer and then use the pick whip to attach other layers to its properties so that changes made to the master apply to other layers.

• 2. Re: AE CS3 Parenting not yielding good results...
            JamesBeschen Level 1

Thank you for the response Todd!

I saw that the Wiggle Effect wasn't inherient so I'll have to figure that at so they wiggle the same amount at the same time...

As far as inherient transform properties for the child, I do not see why the two layers/objects are so different...

As I scrub the timeline and check all the transform attributes, both the child and the parent transform settings are the same... I'm only altering position and scale but when I add the thumbnail video to a layer and parent it to the thumbnail frame, I have to maually edit transformations for the child layer to maintain the proper relationship as the parent, video frame, moves onto the screen...

Is there something I'm missing here, or is there another method...?

Thank you for your time!

Jim

• 3. Re: AE CS3 Parenting not yielding good results...
              Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Might be easier to assess if you post an example clip or project file.  I can' quite grasp what you're describing, sorry.

An important thing to realise about parenting is that the children adopt the anchor point of their parent.  So if you scale the parent, the children will scale too, but they'll grow from their parent's anchor point, not their own.  Same with rotation.  This can affect the position of the children, despite the fact that you haven't changed any position settings.

Using expressions to link scale, rotation and position will allow layers to mimic each other's transformations whilst retaining their own anchor points.

• 4. Re: AE CS3 Parenting not yielding good results...
                JamesBeschen Level 1

Thanks Andrew!

That's a good explanation!

I have a work around that may or may not be the best course of action, but it seems to be functioning...

I just created new comps for each of the videos w/ frame/border, add them to the main comp and animate as needed...

So far so good...

Thank you for your input!

Jim