3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 25, 2010 9:57 AM by ~graffiti

Printing from a 'Print to file' file

XtremAdobe

Hey there,

We had a serious issue trying to print a job application. The application had a 'send' button but didn't allow us to save the file after filling it in. Unfortunately, the computer used wasn't connected to a printer, so we tried Print to File. This crashed Adobe, losing all of the application form data, so our only copy is now in the output from the Print to File.

How do I go about printing that file now? I can't open it in any application I've tried.

Is it possible to convert the 'print to file' ouput file back into a pdf?

Hope somebody can help us out.

X

• 1. Re: Printing from a 'Print to file' file
          ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You basically created a postscript file (it's probably labeled as .prn?)

There is nothing Reader can do to take it back to a PDF. If you just need a print out of it, you may be able to either right click and choose print or go to the DOS screen and print from there (you'll have to excuse the lack of deatails on the last one, I don't use Windows very often).

You could also use Acrobat to convert it back to a PDF but I assume you don't have that if you were using Reader?

XtremAdobe wrote:

Hey there,

We had a serious issue trying to print a job application. The application had a 'send' button but didn't allow us to save the file after filling it in. Unfortunately, the computer used wasn't connected to a printer, so we tried Print to File. This crashed Adobe, losing all of the application form data, so our only copy is now in the output from the Print to File.

How do I go about printing that file now? I can't open it in any application I've tried.

Is it possible to convert the 'print to file' ouput file back into a pdf?

Hope somebody can help us out.

X

• 2. Re: Printing from a 'Print to file' file
            XtremAdobe Level 1

That's what I'd assumed. When the file was created though, it was created without an extension. I tried using a Postcript printing utility on the file, but it didn't like it. I tried renaming the file and giving it a .prn extension, but that didn't seem to help.

I'm thinking that the file itself may be corrupted as a result of the crash which occurred while printing to file... but I'd be happy of any other known solutions for printing out the file that is produced by Print to File.

X

• 3. Re: Printing from a 'Print to file' file
              ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP

XtremAdobe wrote:

I'm thinking that the file itself may be corrupted as a result of the crash which occurred while printing to file... but I'd be happy of any other known solutions for printing out the file that is produced by Print to File.

I'm not sure of any other way to do it especially if it is corrupt (which is highly likely).