14 Replies Latest reply on Dec 6, 2010 2:35 PM by Kurt Gold

Perplexed by gradient mesh

jkinsman

I have used gradient mesh along time. Usually it does exactly what I want it to do so I never questioned how it worked. Today, I was working on a project and I can't seem to get the mesh to do what I want.

So I went out to do some research and I can't seem to find information on this topic anywhere. It seems almost mystical. So if there is a great resource that explains the logic behind how Illustrator choose the start and end point of a mesh line, please send it to me and I apologize in advance if this info is easily found.

Here is my problem. I have a curve. If I click into the curve where I want a mesh line, the mesh line doesn't follow the shape of the object.

Here is my shape

Screen shot 2010-09-24 at 2.21.52 PM.png

When I use create gradient mesh, this is the mesh that I get. My question is why didn't the mesh lines follow the curve of the object. The first two columns are fine but the last column is totally messed up. Why did it choose to use the points on the outside of the curve instead as the end points? I get similar results when using the mesh tool.

Screen shot 2010-09-24 at 2.22.05 PM.png

As far as I can tell there is no way to change this once the mesh is created. You can't delete an end point and you can't move it without totally rebuilding your shape.

I created a simplified shape with less points and it did the exact same thing.

Does anyone have any help or advice on this topic. I don't understand why you aren't able to control where the start and end point is of a mesh line when you use the mesh tool. How does it choose a start and end point? This just perplexes me. It just seems random to me but I am sure that is just because I haven't figured the pattern yet.