4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 25, 2010 4:56 AM by John Waller

Lists JS question

iconofsin14 Level 1

look at the side menu on this page

http://www.houseoffraser.co.uk/tops+for+men/207,default,sc.html

I am trying to recreate it, except i only want the sub items (the grey ones) to be displayed when the mouse moves over its headder catagory (IE the relevant blue one)

this should be done with a list but dreamweaver does not give me the option to apply a on mouse over style change to a list element, so i cant make a section appear/dissapear when a different element is mouse-overed
      i have had to use DIV's because dreamweaver does allow this

(note that i would create a sub list for each set of grey list items so that for each group i need only target one element with the JS

does anyone know why this is?

and while i am at it is there anything wrong with using DIVS to create menus?

and also while i am at it, my menu is 3 tiers high, the one on that site is only 2 tiers high, so i need a 3rd colour. can anyone suggest an apropriate one?

• 1. Re: Lists JS question
          MurraySummers Level 8

this should be done with a list but dreamweaver does not give me the option to apply a on mouse over style change to a list element, so i cant make a section appear/dissapear when a different element is mouse-overed

i have had to use DIV's because dreamweaver does allow this

THis would be exactly how PVII's TreeMenuMagic or even PopMenuMagic work.  Why recreate the wheel?

And you can certainly make list elements contain anchor tags to which you can apply the mouse events.  So there would be no reason to use <div> tags at all except as an overall container.

• 2. Re: Lists JS question
            iconofsin14 Level 1

I try to ovoid using pre wirtten scripts because these always have limitations which can only be overcome if a person fully understands the

code used

by creating my own i overcome such limitations, sometimes it may take many hours of problem solving but ultimatly i have freedom over the output.

for this reason i only use pre-written scrips if i feal that i am unable to create the desired result myself.

speaking of solutions

dreamweaver writes this code into the target tags

onmouseover="MM_changeProp('FA','','display','block','DIV')

would replacing DIV with UL or LI acheive the desired result?
            if not why not?

• 3. Re: Lists JS question
              MurraySummers Level 8

I try to ovoid using pre wirtten scripts because these always have limitations which can only be overcome if a person fully understands the

code used

by creating my own i overcome such limitations, sometimes it may take many hours of problem solving but ultimatly i have freedom over the output.

for this reason i only use pre-written scrips if i feal that i am unable to create the desired result myself.

Spoken like a true "never used a PVII product" person!   Give it a try - I wouldn't be without mine.  You'll be surprised how much you will learn reading their documentation.

onmouseover="MM_changeProp('FA','','display','block','DIV')

If you are applying this to anything other than an anchor tag, then you should think again - such usages are unreliable.

would replacing DIV with UL or LI acheive the desired result?

Yes, it could.

• 4. Re: Lists JS question
                John Waller Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Admirable although sometimes you may find yourself trying to re-invent the wheel for no real reason.