7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 8, 2010 11:21 AM by allpar

Can't even install

allpar Level 1

Since the docs just say that it shoudl work and there seems to be no Adobe support that doesn't require a week of "You're sure you're running Contribute?" (24 hours pass) "And you're not using Windows?" (48 hours pass) etc...

I am trying to install CPS onto a Linux server. This seems to be the way it's supposed to work. It supposedly includes a JRE engine already.

I would appreciate any help anyone can provide. Adobe has proven itself fairly useless in my opinion. I spent an hour on the phone with them over why the downloader didn't work to find out there IS no downloader. Then they sent me a CD whose documentation consists mainly of links to Macromedia's web site, which is no longer with us. So I can only imagine what the future of this software is.

I guess one question is whether it assumes I have a graphical user interface? Which would be an odd assumption for a server product.

Here is what happens.

me ~> sh cps-linux.bin

Preparing to install...

Extracting the JRE from the installer archive...

Unpacking the JRE...

Extracting the installation resources from the installer archive...

Configuring the installer for this system's environment...

awk: error while loading shared libraries: libdl.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

dirname: error while loading shared libraries: libc.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

/bin/ls: error while loading shared libraries: librt.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

basename: error while loading shared libraries: libc.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

dirname: error while loading shared libraries: libc.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

basename: error while loading shared libraries: libc.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Launching installer...

grep: error while loading shared libraries: libc.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

./cps-linux.bin: line 2317: /tmp/install.dir.5665/Linux/resource/jre/bin/java: Permission denied

./cps-linux.bin: line 2317: /tmp/install.dir.5665/Linux/resource/jre/bin/java: Success

• 1. Re: Can't even install
          Dominic Michael Adobe Employee

1. Rename binary

[root@machine]# cp pubserver-linux.bin cpubserver-linux.bin.backup

2. Use the following string replace command on the binary to comment out the line that is causing the problem

[root@machine]# cat pubserver-linux.bin.backup | sed "s/export LD_ASSUME/#xport LD_ASSUME/" > pubserver-linux.bin

3. Make the modified binary executable

[root@machine]# chmod 755 pubserver-linux.bin

Step 2: - rerun the installation script

Hope this helps you.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Can't even install
            allpar Level 1

I tried that but then I get stuck on "uncompress" not working. The Z binary appears to be corrupted. I'm going to try re-uploading but would I even get that far if the upload was bad?

PS> I was told by someone at Adobe that CPS was end-of-lifed some time ago, with no revisions (security or otherwise)... yet, they're still selling (and marketing it) as though nothing had happened. If I could figure out how to get a refund at this point I probably would, not that I don't appreciate your answer, but it's still not installing! I do get past the odd requirements though -- odd because I have all those modules.

• 3. Re: Can't even install
              allpar Level 1

Get this message:

awk: cmd. line:6: warning: escape sequence `\.' treated as plain `.'

Launching installer...

./cps.bin: line 2317: /tmp/install.dir.19547/Linux/resource/jre/bin/java: Permission denied

./cps.bin: line 2317: /tmp/install.dir.19547/Linux/resource/jre/bin/java: Success

If I alter your sed line to  cat cps.bak|sed "s/export LD_ASSUME/#/" > cps.bin

I get:

Preparing to install...

Extracting the JRE from the installer archive...

Unpacking the JRE...

gzip: /tmp/install.dir.19782/Linux/resource/vm.tar.Z: not in gzip format

./cps.bin: line 569: uncompress: command not found

gzip: /tmp/install.dir.19782/Linux/resource/vm.tar.Z: not in gzip format

The included VM could not be uncompressed (GZIP/UNCOMPRESS). Please try to

download the installer again and make sure that you download using 'binary'

mode.  Please do not attempt to install this currently downloaded copy.

It should be noted that I gzipped the bin file, uploaded, and then decompressed just to make sure I wasn't screwing it up.

I do appreciate your tip and hope you will follow through. This has now taken far too many hours from the "downloader available when you buy but not when you try to download nonsense to my order being lost in Adobe's systems to mistakenly thinking tech support via email would take less than 24-48 hours for each response.

• 4. Re: Can't even install
                Dominic Michael Adobe Employee

Please have a look at http://www.billmitchell.org/coldfusion/centos5/mx7_apache.php, which might be useful.

• 5. Re: Can't even install
                  allpar Level 1

That's pretty involved. I'll try it next week... wow, this is turning into quite the project. Shame Adobe dropped this software, it really fills a need and a niche that's not answered anywhere else, but it's pulling teeth to get it working, and even then - I don't want to think of what I'm doing to my site security with it.

• 6. Re: Can't even install
                    allpar Level 1

The hotfix file leads to a nonexistent page at Adobe (404 error) so I'm stuck at the very first step.

[snarky comment removed by poster]

Can you save me some time and tell me how I can get a refund?

• 7. Re: Can't even install
                      allpar Level 1

... just a quick reminder: can't install a hotfix Adobe no longer provides.