8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 30, 2010 2:30 PM by Phr3ak 69

r3d problems between mac and pc

Phr3ak 69

Hi i have a project using r3d files that I can see, access and edit on a friend's imac, but I cannot on my pc.  I have (as far as I know) the latest updates to Premiere CS5 but Premiere sees the r3d files, but when I try to access them, it says file damaged or unrecognized format.  Someone on the reduser forum suggested to me that if the file names have unicode characters in it, the pc version of premiere won't recognize them.  Is there a workaround that I can do to get this project completed.  As of right now I am rendering a 40min timeline to a 2k quicktime in an attempt to take the large quicktime into a new project on my pc, but the thing has been rendering for 17 hrs and has another day to complete.  HELP! PLEASE!

• 1. Re: r3d problems between mac and pc
          the_wine_snob Level 9

I do not know about CS5, but it seems that the RED CODEC was a separate install in earlier versions.

When one receives "unrecognized format," it is often that the necessary CODEC has not been properly installed. If you installed from media, I'd check for any "Extras," or "Goodies," on the installation disc. Maybe someone can point you specifically to the RED CODEC's.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: r3d problems between mac and pc
            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> I have (as far as I know) the latest updates to Premiere CS5 but Premiere sees the r3d files,

Tell us the exact version number of what you are running. Premiere Pro CS5 5.0.0? 5.0.1? 5.0.2?

Here's information about the Premiere Pro CS5 (5.0.2) update.

• 3. Re: r3d problems between mac and pc
              Phr3ak 69 Level 1

Thanks all, I will take a look at what version I have and if not the latest update, i will install the latest update.  Just to ask, is there any truth to the statement that if the file names have unicode characters in them that pc version won't open them.  If that is true, would changing those characters to underscores or some other character fix that issue? 

• 4. Re: r3d problems between mac and pc
                Jim_Simon Level 8

R3D files originated from the RED ONE™ camera are using only ASCII characters in their file names.

So this begs the question, how did you get some with Unicode characters?

• 5. Re: r3d problems between mac and pc
                  Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> Just to ask, is there any truth to the statement that if the file names have unicode characters in them that pc version won't open them.  If that is true, would changing those characters to underscores or some other character fix that issue? 

If you pay attention to the "someone" who said that on the RED user forum, you'll see that the person identifies himself as David McGavran, the engineering manager for the team who created the RED importer and does all engineering for RED workflow software for Adobe. So, to answer your question "is there any truth to the statement...", I'd say to trust Dave.

BTW, Unicode characters in this context can mean anything like a Japanese character, or maybe an accented roman character... These things pop up a lot in file names and path names in non-US contexts.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: r3d problems between mac and pc
                    Phr3ak 69 Level 1

It was David McGavaran who mentioned the unicode characters.  I am not sure how this happened, we dumped the camera drive using a macbook pro and a 2 TB WD My Book Studio Pro drive formatted to mac os journaled.  I transfered them to a drive compatible with windows and when I look at the files on the pc, there are box like characters where there were underscores on the mac, in the file name.  My question now is, if on the pc I rename the files by putting the underscores back in in place of the box like characters, will that fix my problem??

• 7. Re: r3d problems between mac and pc
                      Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> My question now is, if on the pc I rename the files by putting the underscores back in in place of the box like characters, will that fix my problem??

It's hard to answer a question as definitively as you can do yourself by trying it.

• 8. Re: r3d problems between mac and pc
                        Phr3ak 69 Level 1

I have been trying out a few things since my last post, such as changing the file names of the r3d files, and no luck.  I also checked my version of premiere and it is 5.0.2. I am at a loss.  The only thing that I can figure out is that it has something to do with the drives it originally was stored on are mac os journaled and somehow that has made them unreadable on my pc, even when transfered to a pc compatible drive first.  I am going to do the old workaround and render off the file to 2k and put on pc drive and edit that one file.