13 Replies Latest reply on Sep 26, 2010 1:25 PM by Ann Bens

Premiere and Encore Project settings for 1440 x 1080i (1.333)

Tminus10web Level 2

Can someone please help me choose the proper settings or presets for both Premiere and Encore?

My 1080i footage imports from my Sony HDR FX7 into premiere as 1440 x 1080 (1.3333) at 29.97 fps.

My goal is to make a DVD, preferrably widescreen, and also build a menu in Encore.  I used to use Pinnacle, and everything pretty much happened automatically, and now I just get lost when choosing project settings for both Premiere and Encore, and the learning curve is too great in the amount of time I have before this project needs to be finished.

Any help choosing presets would be much appreciated.

• 2. Re: Premiere and Encore Project settings for 1440 x 1080i (1.333)
          Powered by Design Level 4

You could use the New Item button to have Premiere create a sequence that matches your video.

This would create a HDV sequence and you can edit that.  You would only have to export it to DVD later.

Also you can down-convert your HDV to standard DV in camera and capture SD video.  This is best if you have a slower computer.

Since you say your end goal is a standard DVD you dont need to edit in HDV unless you want to.

If you down convert then its already at the correct size for DVD.

I have the HDR FX1 so its a little older then your FX7 but still has miniDV tape.

I down convert in camera.

Drag your footage to the New Item icon.

GLenn

New-Item.jpg

1 person found this helpful
          • 4. Re: Premiere and Encore Project settings for 1440 x 1080i (1.333)
            Tminus10web Level 2

Ann:

You may as well have given me a link to a Multimedia Degree program at some college.  I was just looking for someone to help me choose the right preset that would work for my footage as I attempt the transition from DVD authoring in Pinnacle to CS5.   Of course I realize that there are tons of resources out there, and I am already pursue them at both Adobe TV and Lynda.com.   In the meanwhile this simple question that could have been given simple answer.

• 5. Re: Premiere and Encore Project settings for 1440 x 1080i (1.333)
              the_wine_snob Level 9

I think that Ann and GLenn have helped you with the Project Preset issue.

For Encore, there is a great Encore Forum, with a lot of knowledgeable people (and then there's me), who will be happy to speed things up for you.

You are correct that PrPro and Encore are not as "automatic," as either Adobe PrElements, or Pinnacle Studio. However, with a bit of planning, and some instruction, you will be blown away at the power and control. I would not give up that power for all the automation in the world. Do not give up. With the help of the fora, you can get the job done, and done well.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - being new to Encore, I have one other rec., Jeff Bellune's great Encore book, The Focal Easy Guide to Adobe EncoreDVD 2.0, Focal press. Though for an earlier version, 100% of that book will apply to En CS5. CS5 has added some new features, and those are covered in the Help Files. Still, Jeff will get you up and authoring instantly, and the correct way.

• 6. Re: Premiere and Encore Project settings for 1440 x 1080i (1.333)
                Tminus10web Level 2

@Glenn:

Thanks for the helpful response.  I like to have the flexibility of making HDV and SD DVD and F4V, so I wont likely be down-converting.   My computer is fast.

I have been creating sequences that match my footage specs in Premiere (1440 X 1080 1.3333) but have simply noticed alot of weird re-sizing during screen transitions on an Encore authored DVD (ie transitioning between menus and footage, and then again back to the menu).

Any more insight would be much appreciated, as there is alot of material to sort through on Adobe TV and Lynda.com to nail the exact culprit.

Thx,

Dave

• 7. Re: Premiere and Encore Project settings for 1440 x 1080i (1.333)
                  Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

That is quite a list of tutorials!

Part of the problem is that your question is not simple, because so much has been debated about downrezing HD footage.

To keep it simple:

a) Do what Glenn suggested and down convert in camera.  You will then be SD widescreen through Premiere and Encore.  Do an HD version next time and deal with the down conversion issues then.

b) After editing, send the Premiere sequence via dynamic link to Encore.  (I.e. don't export transcoded files.)

c) Let Encore do the transcoding set on automatic and it will max the quality for the amount of video you include.

d) Use one of the Encore menu templates for SD widescreen and modify as needed.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 8. Re: Premiere and Encore Project settings for 1440 x 1080i (1.333)
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

And Stanley is one of those knowledgeable folk from the Encore forum (we let him come here, if he's been good), that I was talking about. He'll meet you at the door, get you a locker and a seat, and help you author your Project. Trust me, you will never go back to Pinnacle again.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Premiere and Encore Project settings for 1440 x 1080i (1.333)
                      Tminus10web Level 2

@ Stan:

Thank you for your reply.

Another extenuating circumstance is that I have already shot 2 weeks of footage with Pinnacle before I got my hands on CS5... and that footage was not downrezed and still needs to be edited. 

If there is no simple answer to project settings for HDV footage eventually burned to a DVD, than I guess my only option is to abandon my CS5 dreams until this current project is complete, as Pinnacle handles all of this without even telling me what is going on...  lol.

• 10. Re: Premiere and Encore Project settings for 1440 x 1080i (1.333)
                        Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Some days I 'm just a little distracted.  You're the "omg I've got 3 files for one clip L and R I'd better finish this one in Pinnacle" guy!

I'd stay with the old workflow for what you have captured.  But you are going to do fine whatever road you pick.

Look for the Jeff Bellune recent comments about down converting and sending to Encore.  I believe that he has been okay with dynamic link in CS5.

• 11. Re: Premiere and Encore Project settings for 1440 x 1080i (1.333)
                          Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                          function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

dasaven2 wrote:

Ann:

You may as well have given me a link to a Multimedia Degree program at some college.  I was just looking for someone to help me choose the right preset that would work for my footage as I attempt the transition from DVD authoring in Pinnacle to CS5.   Of course I realize that there are tons of resources out there, and I am already pursue them at both Adobe TV and Lynda.com.   In the meanwhile this simple question that could have been given simple answer.

There are a ton of questions in that post.

You do not learn CS5 in a weekend its no way near Sttudio.

If you watch some of these tutorial they give the answers to some of your questions.

But anyway for hdv to keep it simple.

Settings for Premiere hdv

ntsc new sequence hdv.png

I do not use Dynamic link, i export my stuff direct out of Premiere and import manually into Encore.

Export settings for Premiere.

I prefer H264 because it gives the cleanest picture, but takes longer to render.

The top four are my own presets.

export hdv ntsc.png

Set up for Encore:

new project ntsc.png

• 12. Re: Premiere and Encore Project settings for 1440 x 1080i (1.333)
                            Tminus10web Level 2

Thanks for the reply, very helpful stuff.

Can I ask why is it that you export from Premiere, and import into Encore rather than using dynamic link?  What I have been doing is importing the premiere sequence straight out of the PRPROJ into encore as an asset. Is there quality or performance gains to be leveraged by exporting from premiere first?

• 13. Re: Premiere and Encore Project settings for 1440 x 1080i (1.333)
                              Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

That way i have more controle over the export settings.

Quality wise they are the same, they use the same AME.