1 2 Previous Next 57 Replies Latest reply on Nov 2, 2010 5:23 AM by Steve Grisetti

Premiere Elements 9 was unusable -- working now

patashinka

Just installed Premiere Elements 9 trial on my Mac, OS X 10.5.8. It's unusable. The included sound clips are not even playable. If I double click on one, a wave form pop up, pressing play doesn't do anything. Any video clips I imported are not playable either. Pressing the play button doesn't do anything.

What is going on? Did Adobe even test this software before releasing it?

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 9 unusable
          nealeh Level 5

Assuming it's similar in operation to the Windows version after you load a clip you should wait until PRE finishes preparing it - check the lower right for a progress bar.

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 9 unusable
            pawolverine70

I find Premiere Elements 9 also unusable. I have installed on my late 2009 iMac running 10.6.4 and can't get anywhere with it. When I start PE9, try to start a project, I get a window-blank and white-with the message "initializing user interface" in the bottom left corner. The program then hangs. Both Apple and Adobe have probably gotten tons of crash reports from me. Thank goodness I am still in trial and didn't buy the product.

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 9 unusable
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I'm not sure what's going on on your systems, guys, but version 9 is running flawlessly on my iMac. It runs even better and more stably than Final Cut!

I don't know if you haven't got it configured correctly or if it's a problem with your source files or what. But in my experience, the Mac version of this program is a major accomplishment.

(And I DON'T work for Adobe. In fact, I've been pretty openly critical of some products and features in the past.)

BTW, do you have any CS4/CS5 programs installed on your systems? There are known conflicts that are easily worked around by turning the background processes off during installation.

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 9 unusable
                pawolverine70 Level 1

I have both CS4 & CS5 programs on my computer, but no where can I find the conflict listed nor the work-a-round. Can you direct me to the document?

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 9 unusable
                  chrisgamrat

Hi Folks,

Same problem here on my Corei5 iMac (SL 10.6.2). I can add clips to the timeline but can't play it. If I hit play (or the space bar) then nothing at all happens and I don't see any way to render clips before playing. Clips from my Camera are edited without a glitch in IMovie or FCE.

What's wrong with PRE 9 on the mac?

I have PSE8 and Bridge CS4 installed could it be that?

Cheers,

Chris

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 9 unusable
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

There seems to be a lot of info missing from all of the respondents in this thread. Can each poster list the source footage, in complete detail, and also tell us what Project Preset has been chosen?

Thanks for the info,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 9 unusable
                      chrisgamrat Level 1

OK,

Here are the details on my end:

Clips coming directly from my Canon S5IS Camera: format AVI (MJPEG), 640x480 (VGA), 30fps

Preset used in PRE9: Flip Mino Ultra 30p: 640x480, 30 fps (that's the only preset I found to fit my camera clip format)

Now I can open PRE9, create a new project, drag a clip onto the timeline, I can also scroll manually through the clip but when I press play, nothing, absolutely nothing happens: no video, no audio, just a still frame.

My computer: iMac 27" Corei5, 4GB Ram, Snow Leopard 10.6.2

I have PSE8 and Bridge CS4 installed as well as Photoshop Lightroom.

I uninstalled and re-installed PRE9 several time, I tried logging in from another user, nothing changed, impossible to play a single clip in PRE9.

I tried to export a video (despite the fact I was unable to play it) and ended up with a strange result: no audio, only keyframes were apparently saved in the resulting video, not viewable.

Ah, last thing. When no projects are opened, PRE9 shows a complete white screen with only the mac menu bar on top, normal?

Voila for now,

cheers, Chris

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements 9 unusable
                        John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>Clips coming directly from my Canon S5IS Camera: format AVI (MJPEG), 640x480 (VGA), 30fps - Preset used in PRE9: Flip Mino Ultra 30p: 640x480, 30 fps (that's the only preset I found to fit my camera clip format)

MJPEG requires a codec to work... I don't know about Mac, but over in the Win arena...

MJPG edit with Morgan or MainConcept http://www.morgan-multimedia.com/
                        http://www.mainconcept.com/site/prosumer-products-4/motion-jpeg-codec-785/information-797. html

I'm not sure, but I think the Flip preset is wrong for MJPEG

http://blogs.adobe.com/VideoRoad/2009/12/using_a_flip_minohd_camera_wit.html

• 9. Re: Premiere Elements 9 unusable
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Along with the recommendations by John T (I also do not know if either the Morgan, or the MainConcept will work on the Mac), check your Canon utility disc. Canon is pretty good at including the CODEC needed. It might be an installation with the driver, or it might be installed, when one installs any included viewing/organizing software. Check that out closely, as it should be available on that disc somewhere.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Premiere Elements 9 unusable

Any reason you're not using the DSLR 640x480 project preset? It's designed to interface with this type of video -- which is very, very different than Flip video. (I've got charts in my Premiere Elements 9 books that show you which project presets to use for which video sources, by the way.)

Matching the right project settings to your source footage is one of the most important steps in ensuring a successful project.

• 11. Re: Premiere Elements 9 unusable
                              chrisgamrat Level 1

Hi,

Thanks for the various advices.

However, yes I tested the 640x480 DLSR preset --> Same story: clips not playable in PRE9

I don't know if PRE9 requires a specific codec for the MJPEG format but on the same iMac both iMovie and Final Cut Express can import the Canon S5IS without a glitch, so...

Continuing my investigations

cheers, Chris

• 12. Re: Premiere Elements 9 unusable
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Chris,

CODEC's are interesting things. There are three roles that they play: playability, encoding capabilities and then editing capabilities. Also, and to confuse things, some NLE (Non Linear Editing) programs can use a particular CODEC fine, while another cannot. This ARTICLE will give you a little more background.

A perfect example of the latter is the DivX CODEC. PrE (and PrPro) can Export/Share to it, if it's installed on the system. However, they cannot edit effectively with it. CyberLink's PowerDirector (at least the version that I have) can edit fine with it, but not my $600 PrPro.

All CODEC's are not created equal. Three popular H.264 CODEC's are Apple's, Lead's and MainConcept's. They all do H.264. However, many users have had issues with Apple's version, and have used one of the other two. Most of those issues have been with regard to quality of Export/Share.

It would seem that you have some form of MJPEG installed, since iMovie and FCP can handle the footage. It could well be that that one is just not one that PrE can use. That was why I mentioned the Canon utility disc, as a possible source of a more universal version of that CODEC. I cannot promise you that it's there, but has been for many Canon users.

I also have to plead complete ignorance on how a Mac handles/installs CODEC's. On a PC, they are installed in the system, and are accessible to all programs on the system. Whether that program can use that particular CODEC is discussed in the article, linked above. It could be that the Mac installs CODEC's with the programs, that it assumes will be able to use them, and locks other programs from accessing those. I just have zero knowledge, so might well learn something in this thread.

Please post the findings of your investigations, and good luck,

Hunt

• 13. Re: Premiere Elements 9 unusable

I just tried a video clip from an old Canon PowerShot A60, imported onto my computer using the Premiere Elements Video Importer and loaded into a project using the DSLR 640x480 project preset.

I had to render the clip, but it plays just fine on both my Mac and PC version of the program.

Did you make sure to unplug the USB cable and camera before you played back your video? Did you render it first so that the red line above the clip on your timeline turns green?

BTW, are you all using a trial version of the program? I'm using full versions of the program (one on my iMac and one on my PC). I'd hate to think you need to have a fully-licensed version in order for it to work (in order for certain third-party codecs to activate, for instance). That kind of defeats the purpose of a trial test drive, doesn't it? But I wonder if that's the case.

It's very strange to see three Mac complaints within a few days. Adobe actually began work, I believe, on the Mac version before the Windows version of this current generation, so performance on OSX was the first priority.

As I say, it could be conflicts with CS4/CS5. Particularly if you have Bridge running in the background, it seems to bug up the installation. But after my good experience, I'm deeply surprised to hear of people who can't even get it running on a Mac!

I do encourage you all to contact Adobe (by clicking the Contact button at the top of this web page) and get their tech support working on this. I've got a relatively clean Mac. (I do have After Effects, Bridge and Flash CS4 installed though.) But, if regular Mac users are having trouble doing even basic work, something is very wrong.

Again, please contact Adobe. Don't just post to this forum. They need to be aware of these problems -- and at least be given a chance to help you work through them!

• 14. Re: Premiere Elements 9 unusable
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

I'd also look into filing a Bug Report too. Technical Support is primarily to help users sort issues, and might well not be that good at giving feedback to Adobe's product developers, especially as they are overseas.

Hunt

• 15. Re: Premiere Elements 9 unusable
                                      chrisgamrat Level 1

Thanks Bill,

I'll dig into the realm of codecs and see if I can find a clue.

BTW, I forgot to mention that if the clips from my Camera are not playable in PRE9 they are perfectly recognized and play nicely in "Element 9 Organizer" which was installed together with PRE9!

I will see that tomorrow as it's getting late here on my side of the Atlantic...

Thanks again,

Chris

• 16. Re: Premiere Elements 9 unusable
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Chris,

if the clips from my Camera are not playable in PRE9 they are perfectly recognized and play nicely in "Element 9 Organizer" which was installed together with PRE9!

This is common. The Organizer is but a simple player, like QT Player, VLC, GOM, etc., and is the same for the Source Monitor in PrE, with some limitations. What one is seeing in the Program Monitor is the AV Clip on the Timeline, ready to be edited. They are different enough operations, as to give one a false sense of security.

Also, for the Organizer and Source Monitor, there is less direct interaction with the video driver. That really gets heavily used, when one is playing the Timeline.

Good luck, and hope that someone has an easy fix for you. I know zero about Mac's, so am just talking generalities here.

Hunt

• 17. Re: Premiere Elements 9 unusable
                                          patashinka Level 1
                                          Assuming it's similar in operation to the Windows version after you load a clip you should wait until PRE finishes preparing it - check the lower right for a progress bar.

Yes, Premiere has finished preparing it. Even the sound-clips that is included with Premiere cannot be played, not just the videos that I imported.

• 18. Re: Premiere Elements 9 unusable
                                            patashinka Level 1

Same problem here on my Corei5 iMac (SL 10.6.2). I can add clips to the timeline but can't play it. If I hit play (or the space bar) then nothing at all happens and I don't see any way to render clips before playing. Clips from my Camera are edited without a glitch in IMovie or FCE.

What's wrong with PRE 9 on the mac?

Looks like you have the same problem as me. Thing is, the target of Premiere Elements are the lay users. Having these kind of problems really turn people off (like me).

• 19. Re: Premiere Elements 9 unusable
                                              patashinka Level 1
                                              There seems to be a lot of info missing from all of the respondents in this thread. Can each poster list the source footage, in complete detail, and also tell us what Project Preset has been chosen?

Source video is 720p H.264 video, recorded with Sanyo FH1A camcorder. Played fine in iMovie, QT, and Premiere's own Organizer.

I've tried 2 different Project Preset, including the one for Flip mino HD and the HDV 720p. Either way, the problem persists. Thing is, even the sound clips that are bundled in with Premiere Elements are not playbable. Having to pick presets also baffle me. I don't have to do this with iMovie.

Installed Adobe programs are Lightroom 3, Photoshop Elemets 9 trial, and Premiere Elements 9 trial.

Monitoring Activity Monitor, it looks like a process called "Adobe QT32 Server" is finicky too, not responding very frequently AND readily, although it doesn't really crash the whole program.

• 20. Re: Premiere Elements 9 unusable
                                                patashinka Level 1
                                                BTW, are you all using a trial version of the program? I'm using full versions of the program (one on my iMac and one on my PC). I'd hate to think you need to have a fully-licensed version in order for it to work (in order for certain third-party codecs to activate, for instance). That kind of defeats the purpose of a trial test drive, doesn't it? But I wonder if that's the case.

Yes, I have the trial. I would be more angry if I already paid for this program. If this problem is due to the trial, then Adobe is a d0uchebag.

I do encourage you all to contact Adobe (by clicking the Contact button at the top of this web page) and get their tech support working on this.

Errr, yeah, I would love to do that, except Adobe only provide support for a fully licensed software, or you have to pay them for phone support. No email support that I can see. How convenient for them.

• 21. Re: Premiere Elements 9 unusable

Wow. Sorry your experience is so negative, Pat.

But take it easy on us, okay? We don't work for Adobe -- but we spend hours every day on this forum, helping people out, just because we want to help. Don't hold us responsible for challenges you're facing with the product. We're only trying to help.

• 22. Re: Premiere Elements 9 unusable
                                                    patashinka Level 1
                                                    But take it easy on us, okay? We don't work for Adobe -- but we spend hours every day on this forum, helping people out, just because we want to help. Don't hold us responsible for challenges you're facing with the product. We're only trying to help.

No, it's never my intention to hold anybody here responsible. I want to hold Adobe responsible. Don't get me wrong. I love forums and users that are willing to help each other out. I appreciate any comments that people put here. It's just that I want to approach this software from a lay user point of view, ie I want something that just works. And it's not the case with Premiere Elements 9. I mean I consider myself a power user, and I'm already frustrated. Imagine a lay user buying this program off the shelf, thinking they're getting a great program, and finding out that the program cannot even play its own sound clips. Yeah.

PS: I use Adobe Lightroom since ver 2 (and upgraded to 3), and I love it.

• 23. Re: Premiere Elements 9 unusable

Again, Adobe needs to know this. Even if they don't give tech support on the trials, make sure you're sending in crash reports and that you're posting bug reports. Posting complaints on this forum doesn't do anything but get people riled up. Adobe and Apple need to figure out what's going on (As usual, each will likely blame the other at first).

Meantime, I'd be willing to contact you directly via private message and maybe we could set up a Skype session. (Unfortunately, the Mac version of Skype doesn't include the option to share screens, so I won't be able to see what's going on on your machine, as I can when I work with PC users.)

I'm not a tech person. I can't guarantee I'll get to the bottom of it. And I certainly can't do this on a regular basis with everyone who has a technical challenge. (I do have a job PLUS I write software manuals for products like this for http://Muvipix.com . ) But I would like to see if maybe there's something obvious we're both missing.

The product was very heavily tested on a number of Mac configurations and, as I say, it could not be more stable on my little iMac.

Are you aware of a Mac product that allows us to share computer screens?

• 24. Re: Premiere Elements 9 unusable
                                                        nealeh Level 5

VNC (free / GPL versions available for Mac & Windows)  should allow you to control the remote screen.

Here's a few links for starters:

Google Search

Chicken of the VNC | Download Chicken of the VNC software for free ...

Cheers,
                                                        --
                                                        Neale

• 25. Re: Premiere Elements 9 unusable

Hey, thanks, Neale! Exactly what we need!

• 26. Re: Premiere Elements 9 unusable
                                                            chrisgamrat Level 1

Hi Folks,

A little update on my PRE9 on Mac adventures.

It's been a rainy Sunday over Paris, just the right conditions to investigate the case a bit closer.

What I did was to borrow my daugter's MacBook and install the PRE9 trial on it.

Her macbook is running SL 10.6.2 (same version as on my IMac) but it is not cluttered with Lightroom, Final Cut and other Video/photo software dad likes to play with!... Anyway, the short story is that PRE9 is working like a charm on the Macbook. I used the same clips from my Camera (Canon S5IS) for a test drive and everything seems to work fine, playback within PRE9 works and all the rest.

So, yes, PRE9 is usable  on a Mac, well, at least on my daughter's macbook.

The problem is probably with my iMac software configuration. I will now try to do some cleaning on my Mac to see if there is anything installed that does not play nice with PRE9. I will keep you informed and report to Adobe if I find anything  interesting.

Again thanks everyone for the great feedback,

cheers, Chris

• 27. Re: Premiere Elements 9 unusable
                                                              VDOSurfer Level 3

Video playback works fine (very fine actually) on the licensed version, and starts playing back almost instantly when the trial is activated through a serial number . It does not, as many have already reported, on the trial version.

• 28. Re: Premiere Elements 9 unusable
                                                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Chris,

That is heartening news. Something to be said for a rainy Sunday in Paris. See, I'd have wasted it drinking white Burgs!

I hope that you can isolate the conflict, and if you do, please report on what you have found.

Good luck with the detective work,

Hunt

• 29. Re: Premiere Elements 9 unusable
                                                                  VDOSurfer Level 3

You mentioned "The included sound clips are not even playable. If I double click on one, a wave form pop up, pressing play doesn't do anything."

Really? The solution we have given (activation with a serial number) are for Video alone, I don't know of any reason this could happen. Are you able to hear the audio when playing back other stuff? Other than Premiere Elements 9? I don't see this issue in the "Full version" by the way, but this does not have anything to do with activating any codecs as far as I know...

Even if you are, it is worth checking the Audio settings. Select "System Preferences" -> Sound -> Output tab. Check if this says Built-in output or other device that you know of. Hope the audio driver is not "being held for ransom" by some other application. This has happened in case of a recorder software. Unless I switch it back to native speakers, I don't get an audio. But this was my mistake I thought, then..

• 30. Re: Premiere Elements 9 unusable
                                                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

With Audio issues, there are many places that one needs to check. Along with the system Audio, the VDOSurfer mentions, this ARTICLE will point to some other places too.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 31. Re: Premiere Elements 9 unusable
                                                                      pawolverine70 Level 1

After a busy weekend, I finally go back to trying to get PE9 to work. I am using a Core i7 iMac with 16 GB of memory running 10.6.4. My latest attempt was to uninstall the trial version of PE9, start up in safe mode, and redownload and install PE9. When I did this I was able to at least the home screen but did not do anything with the program. I downloaded the addition content and installed it, restarted in regular mode, and tried starting PE9 only to have the same problem of the program stalling after the small set up window.

This is my PE9 window when the program hangs. I basically can't do anything.

PE9.jpg

• 32. Re: Premiere Elements 9 unusable
                                                                        VDOSurfer Level 3

If the User Interface is not loading up properly, the issue could be with the preferences or the layouts.. Delete the preferences file and the layouts folder, and retry..

Preferences file: <username>\Library\Application Support\Adobe\Premiere Elements\9.0\Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs

Layouts: Wherever the project was created..

Since the app has loaded all the plug-ins this is very likely to fix the problem..

Let us know in any case...

• 33. Re: Premiere Elements 9 unusable
                                                                          pawolverine70 Level 1

I deleted the both the preferences and the layout files and when I started PE9 again I now get the blank white window without the initializing interface message at the bottom and then nothing.

I have uninstalled PE9 again including the preference option and reinstalled the program in safe mode once again. The following results are while still in safe mode:

I can start the program and everything seems to be fine.

I quit the PE9 and try to start again and get to the white window (without the "initializing interface" and then nothing.

I read the notes again and saw that the system requirements are 10.5 or 10.6.3. I am running 10.6.4. I don't know that that is a problem since I can open PE9 in safe mode with normal results one time after installing.

I do have components of CS3 and CS5 installed. PE9 is also in trail mode. I don't want to buy a program which isn't working.

• 34. Re: Premiere Elements 9 unusable
                                                                            nealeh Level 5

Windows PRE9 users have been advised to kill any CS memory resident components during installation - it may be worth trying in Mac world as well.

Cheers,
                                                                            --
                                                                            Neale

• 35. Re: Premiere Elements 9 unusable
                                                                              pawolverine70 Level 1

I guess my frustration is just showing, but after reading all the advice here it would seem many of the problems are with Adobe's other products. I can see where there may be conflicts with other companies' products, but why would you release a product which has conflicts with other of your own products. Why wouldn't you have an installer that would disable these conflicting components, or clear memory, or what ever during installation?

• 36. Re: Premiere Elements 9 unusable
                                                                                the_wine_snob Level 9
                                                                                I can see where there may be conflicts with other companies' products, but why would you release a product which has conflicts with other of your own products.

Well, "we" did not release anything. We are all users, trying to help users.

Hunt

• 37. Re: Premiere Elements 9 unusable
                                                                                  Akshat B Adobe Employee

Try doing File--> New Project from the blank window you are getting.

You might have  launched premiere Elements from Adobe Premiere Elements.app instead of Adobe Premiere Elements 9 alias thats why you are getting the black screen and not a new project screen.

-K

• 38. Re: Premiere Elements 9 unusable
                                                                                    pawolverine70 Level 1

Bill, I appreciate all the suggestions and help being provided and was not referring to those posting on this forum. As I said, I think I'm just frustrated and thinking out loud or possibly hoping someone from Adobe may read some of these threads.

• 39. Re: Premiere Elements 9 unusable
                                                                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

We have been recently blessed with at least one Adobe employee, Ankush, but I do not know exactly what his role with Adobe is. I assume that he's a developer, and is busy with coding, etc.. Also, we do not know when Ankush will stop by, and even what he might, or might not be able to do, regarding user's issues - other than offer an "under the hood" look at the program.

For Feature Requests and Bug Reports, I recommend this ARTICLE.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 2 Previous Next