5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 22, 2014 10:41 AM by A.T. Romano

how to i apply cross fading in adobe premiere elements 8?

saraysounds Level 1

Hi, i am using adobe premiere elements 8 and i would really like to know how to cross fade video like in windows movie maker.  I have tried the cross dissolve and addictive dissolve as well as the fade in and out options and the even the opacity option, but its not getting the same result as windows movie maker.  I really like the way the drag and drop option automatically cross fades the audio and video together and then you can drag it out or in, depending on how much you want to cross the 2 sections.  Is there a way i can do this in adobe premiere elements 8?

• 1. Re: how to i apply cross fading in adobe premiere elements 8?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I'm not sure what you're seeing, Saray, but the Cross Dissolve video transition and Cross Fade audio transition function exactly the same way in Premiere Elements as they do in MovieMaker. (Except, maybe, that there is a separate transition for the video and audio.) You just drag them to the point where two clips meet on your timeline.

Is that you're doing? If not, can you describe in detail what you are doing and what you are or are not seeing?

As I said in your other post, you should also check out my free Basic Training with Premiere Elements tutorials on our Premiere Elements support site http://Muvipix.com. They'll definitely get you started with some of these basic tools and functions.

And, if you need more help, my books are available on Amazon.com and at the Muvipix.com store. They cover virtually every tool in the program and show you, step by step, how to use them.

• 2. Re: how to i apply cross fading in adobe premiere elements 8?
            romuloffreitas

It's not the same, and I would like to know how to do that too. Like Sony Vegas do too.

When joining two videos on these softwares, both videos plays together.

That's not what happens in Premiere, because the second video appears as still image, until the video really starts in timeline.

• 3. Re: how to i apply cross fading in adobe premiere elements 8?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

romuloffreitas

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running?

I had not seen this 2010 thread before. Now when I do (2014), I believe that you are quite right to question what was written and the impression implied

the Cross Dissolve video transition and Cross Fade audio transition function exactly the same way in Premiere Elements as they do in MovieMaker.

Premiere Elements and Windows Movie Maker transitions do not "work" the same, at least in slideshow with photos.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE: Video Transitions - Part 1 Slideshow Duration

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE: Video Transitions - Part 2 How They Work

This same decrease in total duration of the Timeline content can also be seen by addition of video clips and application of Crossfade video transition in Movie Maker.

What are you using as your Premiere Elements Cross Dissolve transition alignment? Try "Between Clips" if versions 11 or 12 OR "Center at Cut" for versions earlier than 11.

Please review and consider.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: how to i apply cross fading in adobe premiere elements 8?
                jazzman42

I have a sneaking suspicion that this member is not using the edit transition facility and centering the transition on the split. I feel silly suggesting this but I have been using Premiere's various versions for years and still occasionally get caught out by this. To make it simple, when  you have dropped a cross fade or any other transition on the join check out the editable parts which will enable you to start or end the transition at the join or centre it there which would give the smoothest dissolve. Forgive me if I am being patronising but it is easily overlooked. I deplore the tendency to automate everything which is robbing video-makers of the creativity which manual  control gives you.....and leading to some gaps in user knowledge. 

• 5. Re: how to i apply cross fading in adobe premiere elements 8?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

jazzman42

There are a lot of answers we need from romuloffreitas, including what I have asked in post numbered 3 of this thread, in particular.....

What are you using as your Premiere Elements Cross Dissolve transition alignment? Try "Between Clips" if versions 11 or 12 OR "Center at Cut" for versions earlier than 11

Yours is not a silly question. We have yet to find out what version of Premiere Elements romuloffreitas is using and on what computer operating system it is running.

ATR