8 Replies Latest reply: Feb 2, 2011 4:39 PM by davonator RSS

After Effects CS5 Crashes At Startup

pvisser78

I have been looking all over for the solution to this problem, but nothing I have found has worked so far.

1. I have taken out all of the plugins and tried.
      2. Uninstalled AE CS5 and downloaded a fresh copy
      3. Taken out all fonts

Yet I still get an error message which states

"Crash in progress. Last Logged message was: <6552> <AppDirs> <5> Required Dir = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe After Effects CS5\Support Files\Required

Does anyone know what the solution might be?

Thanks

• 1. Re: After Effects CS5 Crashes At Startup
          Todd_Kopriva Adobe Employee

What operating system? What version (exactly) of After Effects? Have you installed the After Effects CS5 (10.0.1) update?

• 2. Re: After Effects CS5 Crashes At Startup
            Mylenium CommunityMVP

We need more info on your system. The error referring to the "Required" folder however strongly suggests there is an issue with OpenGL or MediaCore, meaning something is not configured correctly on your system in terms of hardware acceleration with the graphics card. This also would affect certain CoDecs, so removing third-party stuff like CoDec packs is also advisable.

Mylenium

• 3. Re: After Effects CS5 Crashes At Startup
              pvisser78 Community Member

I have Windows 7 and yes I have installed the update so I suppose I have AE CS5 10.0.1.

Regards,

Peter

• 4. Re: After Effects CS5 Crashes At Startup

I do have a media core folder inside of the AE directory. Do you think I have files missing from the required folder?

It was working fine yesterday morning, but just started crashing out of nowhere. I can't see how my hardware is all of the sudden not compatible.

I have a NVIDIA GeForce 310 graphics card

DAC Type: Integrated RAMDAC

Total Avaliable Graphics Memory: 4095MB

Dedicated Video Memory: 512MB

Let me know if there is any other information you need.

• 5. Re: After Effects CS5 Crashes At Startup

I have now tried several different things, including going through the OpenGL troubleshooter on the adobe website.

I uninstalled all the plugins, fonts, deleted AE files etc. I then opened a new user on my PC and it worked! But when I tried opening it for the second time it came up with the same error message.

This happened straight after I installed all the Cycore FX plugin, so I repeated everything as before and opened a new user account. I didn't install anything and like before it opened up the first time, but the second time it crashed with the same message without me having changed or installed anything!

So to summarise:

A new user account in windows allows me to open AE once, the second time it crashes.

Should I just leave AE open all the time? That seems to be the only thing that works!

Regards,

Peter

• 6. Re: After Effects CS5 Crashes At Startup
                    sa_forensics

I was having the same issue.  Make sure to check out your Event Log in Windows.

In my case I had this error:

Faulting application name: AfterFX.exe, version: 10.0.1.19, time stamp: 0x4c785da6
                    Faulting module name: vhscrcap.ax, version: 3.0.0.1, time stamp: 0x4bc1b767
                    Exception code: 0xc0000005
                    Fault offset: 0x000000000002ce7f
                    Faulting process id: 0x1abc
                    Faulting application start time: 0x01cb65c244529749
                    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe After Effects CS5\Support Files\AfterFX.exe
                    Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\SplitMediaLabs\VHScrCap\vhscrcap.ax
                    Report Id: 9c773f5a-d1b5-11df-a87b-90e6baa60f35

After uninstalling this capture driver AE loaded just fine.

• 7. Re: After Effects CS5 Crashes At Startup

Thanks, but I cannot find

C:\Program Files\SplitMediaLabs\VHScrCap\vhscrcap.ax

I have had to get around this problem by using a MAC, but it's not the ideal solution, because my CycoreFX plugins don't work with it!

Regards,

• 8. Re: After Effects CS5 Crashes At Startup
                        davonator

My boss found a fix for this problem:

Go to C>Users>(your user name)>Appdata>Roaming>Adobe>After Effects>10.0    and rename thefile  "Adobe After Effects 10.0-x64 Prefs.txt"

to "Adobe After Effects 10.0-x64 Prefs_old.txt"   Might need to show hidden files for this.

Then open After Effects - it will create a new preferences file, and should open fine.