10 Replies Latest reply on Sep 27, 2010 2:41 PM by fuzzball874

Audio Problem in Editor

fuzzball874

I am using Premiere Elements 9, With AVCHD (.M2TS or .MTS) files from a Panasonic HD Camcorder HDC-SD10. In the organizer, I can play the files with audio. In the editor, I have no audio. I have imported the files right from the camera with the import feature in Premiere and I get the same results.

If I bring in files to the editor from another HD Camera, Kodak Zi8, with a .mov extension. I have audio and no problems.

• 1. Re: Audio Problem in Editor
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

Are you running the full-paid, Activated version, or the trial version?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Audio Problem in Editor
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Also, which project preset are you using for your Premiere Elements project?

• 3. Re: Audio Problem in Editor
              fuzzball874 Level 1

I'm running the Full-Paid activated version. And I just tried the project preset with 1920 x 1080i 30 5.1. My camera says it does dolby digital so I tried several profiles still no audio. When I add the video clip, I only have video, nothing is added to the audio line. The other clip I tried from a kodak Zi8, Added the video to the video line and audio to audio line.

I have Cyberlink Powerdirector 8 Deluxe and it handles these files fine. I was looking for something a litttle more advanced and hoping this was it. Seems strange it can't see the audio.

• 4. Re: Audio Problem in Editor
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve,

You know your AVCHD cameras far better than I do, so I have a question:

Does this camera do a full folder structure, that needs to be Copied over to the HDD. This line catches my attention, and hope that you can address this a bit more closely.

I have imported the files right from the camera with the import feature in Premiere and I get the same results.

Just thinking here,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Audio Problem in Editor

I assume you've ensured your operating system is completely up to date and (very important) you have the latest version Quicktime from Apple.com.

Did you use the Premiere Elements Video Downloader to load this video from your camcorder onto your computer and into your project?

If so, did you then give the program a couple of seconds to conform the file? (You can watch the progress in the lower right corner of the interface.)

BTW, as I say in my books, AVCHD can require a quad core processor, 4 gigs of RAM and many, many gigs of hard drive space. If your system has less than that, you may well see greatly decreased performance.

Finally, your Panasonic camcorder has a number of recording modes. In order to edit it as AVCHD, it's likely you must shoot in HA or HG mode. And, yes, your project preset should use the 1920x1080 standard stereo -- not the 5.1 audio project preset.

• 6. Re: Audio Problem in Editor
                    fuzzball874 Level 1

Just updated Video Driver, Updated quicktime, everything else seems ok, still with no luck.

With my Camera, I record in HA1920 mode.

My machine isn't a quad core, it's a dual core 2.4 ghz, 8 gigs memory, geforce GT 240 with 512MB DDR5 memory.

Went back and loaded the organizer, when I play the video there, in my task panel at the bottom right, I get ffdshow audio decoder, ffdshow video decoder, and halli media splitter that pop up and the video runs with picture & audio. Close the organizer, load the same video into the editor, video is fine, no audio.

I've tried with the file from the Panasonic software that downloads the file as a M2TS file, and I've also downloaded the video directly from camera thru Premiere and it names it as a MTS file, same results, no audio.

Don't know where else to go. Have to drop back to my old program. Deadline next Thursday to have video ready.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks for all your help

• 7. Re: Audio Problem in Editor
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Oh, so you have FFDShow installed?

That program has caused all sorts of problems with Adobe editing software. Did you install that separately, or as part of a CODEC pack, like K-Lite?

That could be too easy a target, but it has caused all sorts of playback issues with Adobe programs.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Audio Problem in Editor

I don't know, Bill. All I know is that the new Video Importer, built into Premiere Elements 9, makes it very easy to select which clips get downloaded from the camcorder. You shouldn't have to mess with any folder structures. The clips just appear as thumbnails when the Video Importer launches.

After that, it's as simple as checking a few boxes and clicking on the Get Media button.

• 9. Re: Audio Problem in Editor
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve,

Thank you. Some file formats do require the entire folder structure, and I was wondering about this particular one.

Appreciated,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Audio Problem in Editor
                            fuzzball874 Level 1

ffdshow and hali media spliter I installed separatly.

I just uninstalled both.

Now, I can't get the videos to play in the organizer. I'm going backwards. :-(

I think were on the right track, just hopefully, I don't have to reinstall windows to clear this up.