9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 11, 2011 1:16 PM by scfarrant

Can Fireworks CS5 import a Word document?

bikrrr Level 1

I just watched a Fireworks CS5 tutorial where the author imported a Word document into Fireworks. The import dialog showed "All readable files" and Word documents just showed up in the list view. When he chose a Word document, he got the "place" cursor and when placed, a new text object was created with text from the imported doc.

I thought that was cool so I wanted to try it myself. When I opened the Import dialog, Word documents don't display in my listview, and the "Files of type" menu doesn't contain "Word" as any of the options. If I choose to show "All files", then choose a Word doc, I get "Could not import the file. Unknown file type."

I'm wondering if I'm missing a converter? Or maybe the tutorial author was using a third-party extension?

FWIW, I'm using Fireworks CS5 and Office 2010 32-bit (although I tried some older docs authored in Word 2003 and 2007 and they don't work either).

• 1. Re: Can Fireworks CS5 import a Word document?
          Jim_Babbage Level 4

Are you on Mac or PC? What tutorial are you referring to?

Jim Babbage

• 2. Re: Can Fireworks CS5 import a Word document?
            bikrrr Level 1

Hey Jim, it was actually your tutorial! Fireworks CS5 Essential Training on Lynda.com, in the "Using text in Fireworks" video at around the 4-minute mark.

I just re-watched it and realized that you mentioned it was an *.RTF file. I missed that the first time and only saw that you selected a document with a Word icon (you probably have Windows set up to open RTFs with Word). So I was mislead that it was a real Word document. Now it makes sense! Unless you know otherwise, I'm assuming it's not possible to import real Word docs (*.DOC or *.DOCX) into Fireworks.

I'll try to listen more carefully next time I watch your tutorials! :-)

• 3. Re: Can Fireworks CS5 import a Word document?
              Jim_Babbage Level 4

You can copy/paste from a Word doc, but for sure you can't import a word doc on the Mac.

In order to copy/paste, select the text int he word doc, then move to Fireworks. Select the Text tool, click on the canvas with the tool and then press CtrlV/CommadV to paste. You will lose all your formatting though.

On the Mac, at least.

Jim Babbage

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Can Fireworks CS5 import a Word document?
                bikrrr Level 1

You can't import on Windows either...which is what I'm using (and what it looks like you used for your tutorial).

Yeah, the copy/paste option would work. Another workaround would be to save the Word doc as RTF, and then import.

• 5. Re: Can Fireworks CS5 import a Word document?
                  Jim_Babbage Level 4

I'm pretty sure FW used to import standard word .doc files on Windows, but that was at least a version ago. It's been a while since I've used CS4 on the PC to confirm it.

Keep in mind too, that when we create the training, we're working on a beta product. Sometimes things change a little by the time the software is released.

I'll review that segment of the training this week and see if I can shed more light on it for you.

Jim Babbage

• 6. Re: Can Fireworks CS5 import a Word document?
                    bikrrr Level 1

Don't waste your time, Jim. It was in fact a rich text document (RTF) not a Word doc, in that video. I was thrown off because it had a Word icon, since Word associates itself with RTFs when installed.

No need to do any extra work...I've got my answer. But thanks for quick replies!

• 7. Re: Can Fireworks CS5 import a Word document?
                      scfarrant

Hi there,

I'm also watching the "Rapid Prototyping" CS5 tutorials by Jim, and when I follow his actions exactly, attempting to import the RTF, I also get that error message.  I've double and triple checked, and I am following exactly.  Any suggestions?

Christopher

• 8. Re: Can Fireworks CS5 import a Word document?
                        Jim_Babbage Level 4

Hello Chris:

I can test things out from here, but it'd be better if I have your source file.

• 9. Re: Can Fireworks CS5 import a Word document?
                          scfarrant Level 1

Oh, Hi Jim. 

First of all, you are one of my favorite Lynda.com teachers.  Thanks for working so hard to share this knowledge with us in such a carefully thought out way.

Secondly, the file is "Tour Spotlight.rtf" from Chapter 03 of Fireworks CS5 Rapid Prototyping Exercise Files.  Or I should say 'was'.. I've just tried it again on my CS5 install on my other laptop and it imported just fine.  I'm not sure why I had an error on the other one...

So, no worries, thanks for your timely response, that is very appreciated, but the problem was on my end.

-Christopher