6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 5, 2010 8:33 AM by John T Smith

System crashes while capturing in CS5

Kum Ruzvelt

Recently installed Samsung Kies software for supporting my Galaxy cell phone. Same day Win7 started crashing while capturing video in Premiere Pro CS5. It crashes after random number of minutes capturing. There's no problem with any other aplication, Adobe or not, and Premiere Elements7 captures video with no problem at all. Uninstalled Kies but Win7 keeps crashing. Any experience with this combination of softwares?

• 1. Re: System crashes while capturing in CS5
          Jim_Simon Level 8

I know this is sort of a "told you so" rather than directly helpful to you, but other readers may learn something.

This situation is precisely why one should never use their production rig for anything BUT production work.  Always use a second computer for everything else.

This software ain't cheap.  If you're going to shell out the money for it, you really should do things right and use it only on a dedicated editing computer.

• 2. Re: System crashes while capturing in CS5
            Kum Ruzvelt Level 1

Huh, I was hoping for something like - yes, it's Kies, or - no, it's not Kies, so I could share the information... I bought my PC on 3 years leasing, hardly I could afford another one with my 300e monthly wage. So this one IS for everything else. My previous PC worked for 4 years on XP, and neither the system nor any Adobe product had ever crashed, and it swallowed a few tons of every kind of stuff you can imagine. So, now I'm kind of suprised, but never mind, I'll just reinstall it. Tnx anyway

• 3. Re: System crashes while capturing in CS5
              Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Lots of people use editing computers for other things, and there are often problems because of it.  Standard advice (whether using other programs or not) is to keep a backup image so you can quickly reinstall.

My current system is used only for editing, and a recent problem was solved by using a windows restore point.

• 4. Re: System crashes while capturing in CS5
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I have one computer for everything http://forums.adobe.com/thread/652694?tstart=0 and have not had any problems

But, I do not have and have never heard of "Kies" software

Generally speaking... if something works and then stops working when new software is installed... that is clear to ME that the new install is the problem

I always make a full boot drive image before installing anything

You should buy software to make a full backup of your hard drive to an external USB hard drive... which makes restoring very easy

The product I use is at http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/image-for-linux.htm

Image runs off of a bootable CD via Linux (the Zip you download includes a program to make the bootable CD) and it reads EVERYTHING on the drive, even the hidden registration information, so everything is restored when needed... and you may restore the image to a brand new drive and not have to re-install anything

Please note that I own no part of Image, and I don't get a referral fee (that is just a plain web link) but I use the program and it has saved me a LOT of trouble when I had a hard drive die... and I was able to restore everything and not have to re-install or re-activate a single program, from Windows on up

• 5. Re: System crashes while capturing in CS5
                  Kum Ruzvelt Level 1

Tnx people, but turned out it's no Kies after all. But a new, more interesting puzzle occured - AE CS4 had recently some troubles while closing, then started crashing - on closing also, and finaly wouldn't start at all (could not load preferences something...). Reinstalled AE and now Premiere works like a charm... Wierd, isn't it?

• 6. Re: System crashes while capturing in CS5
                    John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>Reinstalled AE and now Premiere works like a charm

Soapbox ON

In my opinion, Microsoft made a HORRIBLE design decision when Windows was first created

The idea of using a "system registry" to store all program's operating variables results in a file that is ripe for corruption

Again in my opinion, each program's operating variables should be entirely maintained and loaded and unloaded with the program, and the system registry should be used only for those operating variables that truely relate to the system

Soapbox OFF

My best guess is you had a partially corrupted registry, and a reinstall fixed the problem

There are several companies that make a good living by selling registry cleanup software