8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 26, 2010 3:06 PM by the_wine_snob

CS5 playback lag

GTH2007

Hi all,

I am a first time user of Premier Pro, this is my first day on it and I am already looking for an alternative software...

I am trying to edit a video that is 8 minutes long, just removing a few chunks here and there, so far it has taken me all day just to get half way!

The video preview in the top right corner is delayed every time I click play or stop. When I hit play I have to wait a few seconds for the video to start (upto bout 60 secs), then when it does start the audio is fine, but most of the time the video is stuck on one frame. When I hit stop again I have to wait before I can do anything else (upto 60 secs).

I have tried everything I can find that is related to no avail. My computer is quite up-to-date:

Windows 7 (64 bit)
      Quad core Intel i7 2.80Ghz
      8GB ram
      ATI Radeon HD 5400 series

I think thats all that is relevant, but if anyone has any suggestions I am all ears ... least then I wont have to hunt around for an alternative software.

Cheers

• 1. Re: CS5 playback lag
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Some suggestions... and answer at least the 16 questions at the end of the Wiki article.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: CS5 playback lag
            GTH2007 Level 1

Thank you for the response. Unfortunately I could not find a resolve.

Answers to questions:

1. GSpot result - Codec: WMV2, Name: WMP v8, Status: Codec Status Undetermined.

2. Premier PRO - CS5, English International, no updates (brand new download), project/sequence settings: 30fps DV 48hz

3. Operating System - Windows 7, English International, 1920 x 1080 resolution, True 32bit colour

4. CPU - Quad Core Intel i7 2.80Ghz

5. RAM - 8GB DDR

6. Video Card - ATI Radeon HD 5400 Series

7. Monitors - 2 19inch and 28inch

8. Audio - ATI high definition sound (standard)

9. Hard drives - internal: 1.36TB with 1.29 available, external 1TB with 536GB available.

10. Capture device - HD Contour 1080p camera

11. Capture software - easy edit vholdr software

12. Third party plugins - N/A

13. Error message - N/A

14. Trying to - edit video with a reasonable playback

15. worked before - first time using the product, so never worked

16. Already tried - everything listed on wiki page..

• 3. Re: CS5 playback lag
              shooternz Level 6

edited.

• 4. Re: CS5 playback lag
                Harm Millaard Level 7

The material from the HD Contour was never meant to be edited, so you need to convert it to something that is editable or use different software. There have been a number of posts both here and in the Premiere Elements forum about how to handle that material, so do a search, but my guess is that you need to use Google to find a suitable converter before you can edit that material.

• 5. Re: CS5 playback lag
                  GTH2007 Level 1

Thank you. I will look into it right now.

• 6. Re: CS5 playback lag
                    GTH2007 Level 1

Although I said it was the HD contour I just realised, being the numpty I am, that the video having issues is a WMV file saved from my webcam via Cyberlink YouCam software.

Sorry to be a pain!

• 7. Re: CS5 playback lag
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

With some struggles, WMV (most flavors) can be edited in PrPro, BUT one is always better off converting that heavily-compressed material to something like DV-AVI Type II (for SD material), and Importing and editing that. WMV requires a lot of processing, and the conversion will take care of all that work by the program. I use a shareware converter, but many really like the freeware, Prism, to do the conversion. The included Windows Movie Maker will also do the conversion, but can only Export to DV-AVI Type I, which can give some Out Of Sync issues.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: CS5 playback lag
                        GTH2007 Level 1

Thank you for getting back to me!

I tried the Prism software you suggested and converted it to an mp4 (I could not see any DV option). I imported the result into Premiere Pro and although the audio is out of sync the video look good. So I will carry on playing with it, but looks like we're onto a winner!

Thanks