10 Replies Latest reply on Sep 29, 2010 9:25 AM by the_wine_snob

APE7  Autogate

Phil.com Level 1

Audio Effects Dynamics/Auto Gate - "Use this to remove unwanted background noise , such as a background noise behind a voiceover".

That is exactly what I wan to do.  How do I set the four knobs and what do they mean?  Is this explained somepalce?

Cheers!  Phil

• 1. Re: APE7  Autogate
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Phil,

Gating is basically a hard EQ (Equalizer). I do not have PrE 7, so do not have the AutoGate Effect. If you would be so kind as to do a screen-cap of the "knobs," I'll see if we can figure out what each does, so you can then go about applying the EQ. My guess is that it's a 4 band EQ, but could be wrong. In the meantime, this ARTICLE might be useful too.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: APE7  Autogate
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

There are brief descriptions of each of these filters and what they do in the program's Help files. But they likely still won't be of much help, since this is a very complicated tool.

As I say in my books, the most effective and easiest way to set this tool is by selecting one of the presets from the drop-down list that appear just to the right of the effect's listing in the Properties panel. (There are ten different presets.)

Here's Adobe's official definition of Autogate from the Help file:

AutoGate
            Specifies the level (in dB) that the incoming signal must exceed. Signals below this level are muted. Use this control to remove unwanted background noises, such as a background noise behind a voiceover.

In other words, it filters away some background noise by eliminating all except the loudest sounds in a clip, based on the levels you set.
            • 4. Re: APE7  Autogate
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Pretty sophisticated Effects! This is a Dynamics Processor, and it has an Auto function too.

The Thresholds setting is to define the Amplitude Range that will be processed, and the Attack Time determines the amount of time in milliseconds, that it takes for the Effect to react to amplitudes that exceed the Threshold. The Release is the amount of time for the effect to return to the Threshold amplitude. Hold determines how long the Effect will be enacted for, between the Attack and the Release. I am guessing that Soft Clip will smooth out any linear nature of the Processor.

Because the effects of Dynamics Processing can be very subtle, I strongly suggest that you use a good pair of noise-canceling headphones to make the corrections.

Depending on the Frequency Range of your noise, I would also look into invoking the Compressor too.

I’m impressed with PrE. I would not have expected to see something like this outside of SoundBooth, or Audition. Nice addition Adobe.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - I am a bit surprised that Adobe did not include some common presets for this Effect, like in Audition. They at least give the user a starting point, but maybe the “factory defaults,” accessible via Reset, are where Adobe feels the setting should start for critical listening.

• 5. Re: APE7  Autogate
                Phil.com Level 1

Thanks for the reminder on the presets.  None of them really solved my problem.I'll just live with it.

Thanks again for all the help.

Cheers!  Phil

• 6. Re: APE7  Autogate
                  Phil.com Level 1

Bill, I am a little confused by using noise cancelling headphones. If the headphones cancel the noise how can I correct it in the software if I can't hear it?

Cheers!  Phil

• 7. Re: APE7  Autogate
                    nealeh Level 5

They cancel noise occurring OUTSIDE the headphones (TV's on in other rooms, cars driving past your house, someone's car alarm going off, your children arguing with each other .....). This leaves you hearing JUST the sound coming from your video clip so that you know exactly what you need to take out / keep in.

As well as noise canceling you can also use in-ear noise muffling ear-pieces, they work pretty well and are usually much cheaper than noise-canceling as they don't need the sound canceling electronics.

Cheers,
                    --
                    Neale
                    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 8. Re: APE7  Autogate
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

As Neale points out, the "noise" that gets canceled is any ambient noise in your environment, like the fans in your computer, your air conditioning unit, etc.. Ideally, you want to hear 100% of the signal from your audio card, and 0% of your ambient room noise. Otherwise, one can spend days trying to eliminate noise, only to find that it's the fans on their computer, and not part of the signal. I like headphones, as few of us have perfect listening environments and studio monitors, and all of our hardware in another room. Noise canceling headphones get very close to that.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: APE7  Autogate
                        Phil.com Level 1

Duh!!!  Red faced and slightly embrassed.  Of course,

I should have know better. Not thinking clearly.

Thanks again for all the great help I get here.

Cheers!  Phil

• 10. Re: APE7  Autogate
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Phil,

Easy assumption - you want to remove "noise," and I'm telling you to get "noise canceling" headphones.

Not that long ago, I was doing some Photoshop work on my laptop. I kept working on a "spot" on an image, and nothing seemed to be working. I checked my Layers, and everything. My Tools seemed to work everywhere, but that spot. Suddenly, I realized that it was dirt on my monitor!!!! That's basically what I like about noise canceling headphones - one does not spend hours trying to get rid of "wind noise," when that is coming from the computer below the desktop. Let's just say that I have "been there - done that," and it can be very frustrating.

Good luck,

Hunt