20 Replies Latest reply on Dec 7, 2010 6:43 AM by outwirednet

future linux support?

shorecreature
      I've had to move between platforms to develop applications for linux based servers. Dreamweaver is most def'nately my choice editor, which only runs in windows. On linux I'm forced to use applications like bluefish and zend, while these each have there appeal, nothing beats dreamweavers mix of client and server side tools. If a mac version is out, why is dreamweaver not available for linux?

• 1. Re: future linux support?
          Level 7
          On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 07:16:49 +0000 (UTC), "shorecreature"
          <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote:

>I've had to move between platforms to develop applications for linux based
          >servers. Dreamweaver is most def'nately my choice editor, which only runs in
          >windows. On linux I'm forced to use applications like bluefish and zend, while
          >these each have there appeal, nothing beats dreamweavers mix of client and
          >server side tools. If a mac version is out, why is dreamweaver not available
          >for linux?
          >
          >
          I would much rather do all my web based work on my Linux box - but
          Macromedia steadfastly refused to port it - even though they do a
          Flash player for Linux.

It is a great shame that Adobe didn't port CS3 to *nix, as many
          people doing web based work use Apache / MySQL etc - which are all
          originally *nix.

I thought that the underlying system in Macs was Unix - or is there a
          Windows layer on top ?

--

~Malcolm N....
          ~
          • 2. Re: future linux support?
            Level 7
            shorecreature wrote:
            > If a mac version is out, why is dreamweaver not available
            > for linux?

This question gets asked on a regular basis. The answer is always the
            same: It costs money to develop software for different platforms. If
            there is a strong enough business case for Linux, a version is likely to
            be developed; but there's not sufficient demand at the moment. Why Mac?
            At a recent conference of web developers, near 50% of the laptops I saw
            were Macs, a much higher proportion than the Mac's overall market share.

--
            David Powers, Adobe Community Expert
            Author, "The Essential Guide to Dreamweaver CS3" (friends of ED)
            Author, "PHP Solutions" (friends of ED)
            http://foundationphp.com/
            • 3. Re: future linux support?
              shorecreature Level 1
              not that I'm an expert on the matter Malcolm, but linux (in general) uses x-windows/xorg as its gui agent, with gnome and kde offering the bells and whistles. On a mac I beleive it's a little dif'rent with it using another gui agent. Hence it's not as simple as porting from mac to linux... though not as complicated as porting from windows to linux.

give us some crumbs here Adobe, you're almost there, there's a community begging for this.
              • 4. Re: future linux support?
                Level 7
                Malcolm N_ wrote:
                > I thought that the underlying system in Macs was Unix - or is there a
                > Windows layer on top ?

The underlying system of Mac OS X is Unix, but there's a lot of Mac
                technology on top. I'm not an expert in the technical side, but I
                imagine that one of the main things holding back a Linux version of
                Adobe software is the plethora of Linux distros.

CS3 supports only 32-bit Windows XP SP2 and Vista, and Mac OS X 10.4. It
                won't run on Windows 2000 or earlier versions of Mac OS X. The
                explanation that I heard from Adobe officials is that it was becoming
                too difficult to provide the same functionality in the different
                operating systems. To get Dreamweaver working on Linux, it would need to
                be tested on Red Hat, Ubuntu, Suse, and other popular versions of Linux.
                Sounds like a technical nightmare to me.

--
                • 5. Re: future linux support?
                  Level 7
                  .oO(shorecreature)

>I've had to move between platforms to develop applications for linux based
                  >servers. Dreamweaver is most def'nately my choice editor, which only runs in
                  >windows. On linux I'm forced to use applications like bluefish and zend, while
                  >these each have there appeal, nothing beats dreamweavers mix of client and
                  >server side tools. If a mac version is out, why is dreamweaver not available
                  >for linux?

On a modern machine with enough horse power and RAM you could use a
                  Linux-hosted virtual machine and run a Windows with DW in it ...

Micha
                  • 6. Re: future linux support?
                    Level 7
                    On 26 Jul 2007 in macromedia.dreamweaver, shorecreature wrote:

> I've had to move between platforms to develop applications for linux
                    > based servers. Dreamweaver is most def'nately my choice editor,
                    > which only runs in windows. On linux I'm forced to use applications
                    > like bluefish and zend, while these each have there appeal, nothing
                    > beats dreamweavers mix of client and server side tools. If a mac
                    > version is out, why is dreamweaver not available for linux?

Why do you need to develop FOR Linux (or any other platform, for that
                    matter) ON Linux? I develop a lot for *nix servers, and work almost
                    entirely on Windows machines. I have a FC4 box in my basement which I
                    can SSH into if I need to. For that matter, the FC4 box also acts as a
                    Samba server, and I can edit direct if I want to.

--
                    Joe Makowiec
                    http://makowiec.net/
                    Email: http://makowiec.net/contact.php
                    • 7. Re: future linux support?
                      Level 7

> On a modern machine with enough horse power and RAM you could use a
                      > Linux-hosted virtual machine and run a Windows with DW in it ...

or a windows or mac box networked to the linux server box.

--
                      Alan
                      Adobe Community Expert, dreamweaver

http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/

• 8. Re: future linux support?
                        Level 7
                        On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 10:00:54 +0100, David Powers <david@example.com>
                        wrote:

>Malcolm N_ wrote:
                        >> I thought that the underlying system in Macs was Unix - or is there a
                        >> Windows layer on top ?
                        >
                        >The underlying system of Mac OS X is Unix, but there's a lot of Mac
                        >technology on top. I'm not an expert in the technical side, but I
                        >imagine that one of the main things holding back a Linux version of
                        >Adobe software is the plethora of Linux distros.
                        >
                        >CS3 supports only 32-bit Windows XP SP2 and Vista, and Mac OS X 10.4. It
                        >won't run on Windows 2000 or earlier versions of Mac OS X. The
                        >explanation that I heard from Adobe officials is that it was becoming
                        >too difficult to provide the same functionality in the different
                        >operating systems. To get Dreamweaver working on Linux, it would need to
                        >be tested on Red Hat, Ubuntu, Suse, and other popular versions of Linux.
                        >Sounds like a technical nightmare to me.

I am not a Linux expert, but there are plenty of programmes that work
                        across all distributions, such as Apache, MySQL,Firefox, OpenOffice,
                        VNU - the html programming tool that does some of what Dw does but not
                        enough - yet !!!.

etc etc etc, in fact thousands of programmes. The distributor does do
                        some tweeking - but it's fundamentally the same programme.

I sure that as the use of Linux grows - what with many countries
                        demanding competion and open tendering etc etc - the pressure on Adobe
                        may well grow.

At least the good old Auntie Beeb supports Linux - in fact I think
                        some of the servers, systems etc etc do use Linux applications.

--

~Malcolm N....
                        ~
                        • 9. Re: future linux support?
                          Level 7
                          Malcolm N_ wrote:
                          > I am not a Linux expert, but there are plenty of programmes that work
                          > across all distributions, such as Apache, MySQL,Firefox, OpenOffice,
                          > VNU - the html programming tool that does some of what Dw does but not
                          > enough - yet !!!.
                          >
                          > etc etc etc, in fact thousands of programmes. The distributor does do
                          > some tweeking - but it's fundamentally the same programme.

There's a fundamental difference between Dreamweaver and all the
                          programs you have mentioned. Dreamweaver is a commercial, closed-source
                          program. The others are open source. The fact that the distributor has
                          to do some tweaking is one of the hurdles. With a closed-source program,
                          Adobe is unlikely to hand responsibility for the tweaking to outside
                          sources.

Considering the major problems with the new CS3 installer, I'm sure the
                          vast majority of Dreamweaver users would prefer to see efforts poured
                          into that area before embarking on a Linux version.

Adobe is full of savvy people. I'm sure they keep the idea of a Linux
                          version under review.

--
                          • 10. Re: future linux support?
                            Level 7
                            Malcolm: These decisions are not made on the basis of how many other guys
                            do it. It's purely economic. If the dollars aren't there, the project
                            won't happen. *nix remains principally a server OS, NOT a workstation OS,
                            according to Macromedia/Adobe, and I'm inclined to agree with them.

--
                            Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                            Adobe Community Expert
                            (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
                            ==================
                            http://www.dreamweavermx-templates.com - Template Triage!
                            http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                            http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                            http://www.macromedia.com/support/search/ - Macromedia (MM) Technotes
                            ==================

"Malcolm N_" <malcom@mgnixon.org.uk> wrote in message
                            news:vf6ia3phjs1ab0a7c8v1bgn78g8gj79cmi@4ax.com...
                            > On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 10:00:54 +0100, David Powers <david@example.com>
                            > wrote:
                            >
                            >>Malcolm N_ wrote:
                            >>> I thought that the underlying system in Macs was Unix - or is there a
                            >>> Windows layer on top ?
                            >>
                            >>The underlying system of Mac OS X is Unix, but there's a lot of Mac
                            >>technology on top. I'm not an expert in the technical side, but I
                            >>imagine that one of the main things holding back a Linux version of
                            >>Adobe software is the plethora of Linux distros.
                            >>
                            >>CS3 supports only 32-bit Windows XP SP2 and Vista, and Mac OS X 10.4. It
                            >>won't run on Windows 2000 or earlier versions of Mac OS X. The
                            >>explanation that I heard from Adobe officials is that it was becoming
                            >>too difficult to provide the same functionality in the different
                            >>operating systems. To get Dreamweaver working on Linux, it would need to
                            >>be tested on Red Hat, Ubuntu, Suse, and other popular versions of Linux.
                            >>Sounds like a technical nightmare to me.
                            >
                            >
                            > I am not a Linux expert, but there are plenty of programmes that work
                            > across all distributions, such as Apache, MySQL,Firefox, OpenOffice,
                            > VNU - the html programming tool that does some of what Dw does but not
                            > enough - yet !!!.
                            >
                            > etc etc etc, in fact thousands of programmes. The distributor does do
                            > some tweeking - but it's fundamentally the same programme.
                            >
                            > I sure that as the use of Linux grows - what with many countries
                            > demanding competion and open tendering etc etc - the pressure on Adobe
                            > may well grow.
                            >
                            > At least the good old Auntie Beeb supports Linux - in fact I think
                            > some of the servers, systems etc etc do use Linux applications.
                            >
                            >
                            >
                            >
                            >
                            >
                            >
                            > --
                            >
                            > ~Malcolm N....
                            > ~

• 11. Re: future linux support?
                              shorecreature Level 1

Seems I haven't kept up here...

first off the why:
                              most of my applications integrate with the platform (UNIX), nothing beats developing on the server... far fewer errors. Tools like memcache (only recent emulation on windows), bitMagic, dbFast, etc all are developed on unix. Then you've still got all the c stuff to be compiled...

the why NOT:
                              I'm well aware of what kinds of emulation are available Cygwin, CoOperativeLinux, Wine, etc. I've given them all a decent shot, but bugs creep in all kinds of points... halfway emulation just costs too much time and frustration.
                              And networking? Simple, I can't carry multiple machines between work and home and the management starts to take up time too.

current solution:
                              What I do have at the moment is a dual boot system, with both OS's running VMWare. This enables me to boot from either OS and emulate the other through VMWare. VMWare incorporates a virtual network between the two.
                              This works to a degree, but requires heavy resources. When you have Dreamweaver, Gimp, IE6/IE7/FF/Safari, virtual handsets, test apps all running the system tends to choke when starting VMWare. On top of which the shared drive often gets corrupted with both OS's accessing it at the same time.

final words:
                              Life would be so much easier if Dreamweaver and IE could exist on Linux, I agree with David, I can't see Dreamweaver on Linux for ..., but it would be nice... but I am certain there is a market for this to make it worth Adobe's while.

• 12. Re: future linux support?
                                Level 7
                                > but I am certain there is a market for this to make it worth Adobe's
                                > while.

So far, all reports on market share for Linux that I have seen do not
                                indicate this to be the case (don't ask me for citations). To date, the
                                Linux niche seems largely servers, and that's not DW's playground.... If
                                the market is there, they will build it.

--
                                Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                                Adobe Community Expert
                                ==================
                                http://www.dreamweavermx-templates.com - Template Triage!
                                http://www.macromedia.com/support/search/ - Macromedia (MM) Technotes
                                ==================

"shorecreature" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                                news:f9c20h$2q0$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                > Seems I haven't kept up here...
                                >
                                > first off the why:
                                > most of my applications integrate with the platform (UNIX), nothing beats
                                > developing on the server... far fewer errors. Tools like memcache (only
                                > recent
                                > emulation on windows), bitMagic, dbFast, etc all are developed on unix.
                                > Then
                                > you've still got all the c stuff to be compiled...
                                >
                                > the why NOT:
                                > I'm well aware of what kinds of emulation are available Cygwin,
                                > CoOperativeLinux, Wine, etc. I've given them all a decent shot, but bugs
                                > creep
                                > in all kinds of points... halfway emulation just costs too much time and
                                > frustration.
                                > And networking? Simple, I can't carry multiple machines between work and
                                > home
                                > and the management starts to take up time too.
                                >
                                > current solution:
                                > What I do have at the moment is a dual boot system, with both OS's running
                                > VMWare. This enables me to boot from either OS and emulate the other
                                > through
                                > VMWare. VMWare incorporates a virtual network between the two.
                                > This works to a degree, but requires heavy resources. When you have
                                > Dreamweaver, Gimp, IE6/IE7/FF/Safari, virtual handsets, test apps all
                                > running
                                > the system tends to choke when starting VMWare. On top of which the shared
                                > drive often gets corrupted with both OS's accessing it at the same time.
                                >
                                > final words:
                                > Life would be so much easier if Dreamweaver and IE could exist on Linux, I
                                > agree with David, I can't see Dreamweaver on Linux for ..., but it would
                                > be
                                > nice... but I am certain there is a market for this to make it worth
                                > Adobe's
                                > while.
                                >
                                >
                                >
                                >

• 13. Re: future linux support?
                                  BradwJensen
                                  One of the big things here that people don't always think of is, a lot of people WOULD use Linux if apps Like Dreamweaver, Photoshop, and so forth were available for Linux.. Then Adobe really would have a market here.. NOT TO MENTION if Adobe made a port to Linux more people would use Linux because it usually Costs them Nothing - leaving more money to be spent on the Adobe Creative Suite applications.. Linux is catching up and i can only think that if one has a 100% FREE Operating System out there for them to download that only gets better over time, that Operating System is going to over rule marketshare of Operating Systems that cost money like Windows and Mac OS over time.. So really its a matter of Adobe porting the apps to Linux to create themselves a BIGGER customer base.

*Adobe Ports to linux
                                  *More people use FREE linux
                                  *FREE Linux = extra money for people from not buying windows or Mac OS
                                  *More people with more money than once before = even more customers that there used to be.

Adobe Please Port to Linux!!!
                                  You'll most likely have to do it someday.. Why not get a head start?
                                  • 14. Re: future linux support?
                                    Level 7
                                    > You'll most likely have to do it someday

Not if the market estimate doesn't justify the expense of adding another
                                    platform to the development process.

> Why not get a head start?

Do you pay your taxes in advance?

--
                                    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                                    Adobe Community Expert
                                    ==================
                                    ==================

"BradwJensen" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                                    news:ffcark$2rb$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                    > One of the big things here that people don't always think of is, a lot of
                                    > people WOULD use Linux if apps Like Dreamweaver, Photoshop, and so forth
                                    > were
                                    > available for Linux.. Then Adobe really would have a market here.. NOT TO
                                    > MENTION if Adobe made a port to Linux more people would use Linux because
                                    > it
                                    > usually Costs them Nothing - leaving more money to be spent on the Adobe
                                    > Creative Suite applications.. Linux is catching up and i can only think
                                    > that if
                                    > one has a 100% FREE Operating System out there for them to download that
                                    > only
                                    > gets better over time, that Operating System is going to over rule
                                    > marketshare
                                    > of Operating Systems that cost money like Windows and Mac OS over time..
                                    > So
                                    > really its a matter of Adobe porting the apps to Linux to create
                                    > themselves a
                                    > BIGGER customer base.
                                    >
                                    > *Adobe Ports to linux
                                    > *More people use FREE linux
                                    > *FREE Linux = extra money for people from not buying windows or Mac OS
                                    > *More people with more money than once before = even more customers that
                                    > there
                                    > used to be.
                                    >
                                    > Adobe Please Port to Linux!!!
                                    > You'll most likely have to do it someday.. Why not get a head start?
                                    >

• 15. Re: future linux support?
                                      BradwJensen Level 1
                                      "Not if the market estimate doesn't justify the expense of adding another
                                      platform to the development process."

Come on now, don't be a downer.. ALL i was doing was at least trying to give some POSITIVE thoughts towards Adobe and Linux coming together which most people here didn't seem to be doing at all.. Honestly thinking about it, what does your comment help? It's just the same thing being said over and over. If it's already posted on this thread then why say it again? Come up with something new, possibly positive towards the fact if you would like it to happen or else why are you even in this thread if you don't care for it to happen?

"Do you pay your taxes in advance?"

I don't have to pay taxes, but i do like to get my work done before its due.
                                      • 16. Re: future linux support?
                                        Level 7
                                        Hey - all I'm saying is that Adobe constantly evaluates markets for their
                                        potential size and return on investment. It's not a popularity contents -
                                        it's a strict business analysis. So far their results seem to have shown
                                        that the primary market for web dev tools is not in the Linux area (servers)
                                        it's in the workstation area. If that changes, I'm sure you will see a
                                        development effort begun.

--
                                        Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                                        Adobe Community Expert
                                        ==================
                                        ==================

news:ffcpri$nak$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                        > "Not if the market estimate doesn't justify the expense of adding another
                                        > platform to the development process."
                                        >
                                        > Come on now, don't be a downer.. ALL i was doing was at least trying to
                                        > give
                                        > some POSITIVE thoughts towards Adobe and Linux coming together which most
                                        > people here didn't seem to be doing at all.. Honestly thinking about it,
                                        > what
                                        > does your comment help? It's just the same thing being said over and
                                        > over.
                                        > If it's already posted on this thread then why say it again? Come up with
                                        > something new, possibly positive towards the fact if you would like it to
                                        > happen or else why are you even in this thread if you don't care for it to
                                        > happen?
                                        >
                                        > "Do you pay your taxes in advance?"
                                        >
                                        > I don't have to pay taxes, but i do like to get my work done before its
                                        > due.
                                        >

• 17. Re: future linux support?
                                          Level 7

> were
                                          > it
                                          > that if
                                          > only
                                          > marketshare
                                          > So
                                          > themselves a
                                          > BIGGER customer base.
                                          >
                                          > *Adobe Ports to linux
                                          > there
                                          > used to be.
                                          >

While you wait hoping for Adobe to port to linux,
                                          < http://www.codeweavers.com> have the CrossOver products that make windows
                                          applications easier to run on top of WINE in linux. Dreamweaver MX is listed
                                          as a compatible product but the page explicitly notes there's no support
                                          for Dreamweaver MX 2004.
                                          < http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/name?app_id=14>

Joris

• 18. Re: future linux support?
                                            Level 7
                                            You go to the Adobe stockholders and tell them that Adobe should invest
                                            millions of $$ in porting the apps over to Linux just be it MIGHT have
                                            people buy more Linux. They don't care what platform it runs on, it's ONLY
                                            about making money for the stock holders. Linux just isn't there for making
                                            lots of money for major application developers.

Maybe, if people start buying more Linux, then maybe. But you aren't going
                                            to sell anyone on the reverse.

> were
                                            > it
                                            > that if
                                            > only
                                            > marketshare
                                            > So
                                            > themselves a
                                            > BIGGER customer base.
                                            >
                                            > *Adobe Ports to linux
                                            > there
                                            > used to be.
                                            >
                                            >

• 19. Re: future linux support?
                                              cyndimcdowell
                                              FYI to -m-@v@-m-

People dont "Buy Linux" it is free. Just thought I would fill you in on that point.

Now with Dell shipping their desktops with Ubuntu (latest Linux Desktop) preinstalled as an option, Adobe may be forced to eventually develop for Linux -- someone might get that market before they do.
                                              • 20. Re: future linux support?
                                                outwirednet Level 1

Hey,

I bought my version of Mandriva and there are tons of companies making for profit versions of their software.  Free in the GNU/Linux world only refers to source code, think of Freedom not Free Beer.  Sure you can download hundreds of free (no money requires) distros, but in the enterprise world you'll end up shelling out some cash for your OS, if for nothing else other than support from the maintainers of your distro.  Novell releases several editions that are in the $1000+ range, Mandriva's Enterprise Server is around $400, there are dozens of companies who put out products similar to these.

Just thought I'd clear up the confussion.