5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 30, 2010 3:57 PM by prowl

SWF import to AE suddenly not working. HELP! Urgent!

prowl Level 1

I have been importing SWF's fine in to AE CS5 then all of a sudden, it seems to have stopped allowing imports.

Existing swf's remain in the project folder but show as missing.

If I try to import a new swf, even into a new project, it is greyed out and there is no file format

I have all the latest updates to AE cs5 (10.0.1) and flash etc it's on OSX 10.6  and it's been working since then - just seemed to have stopped.

I have installed some plugins and scripts but again was all working before and After.

Tried unistalling and reinstalling

Help!? BIg important project. Dealine looms!

Many thanks in advace for any help

• 1. Re: SWF import to AE suddenly not working. HELP! Urgent!
          prowl Level 1

Speedy answer there Adobe....

help?!?!

• 2. Re: SWF import to AE suddenly not working. HELP! Urgent!
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

This is a user to user forum so officially there is no official Adobe, even if the "Employees" pop in from time to time. I'm sure if someone had an idea, they would already have replied, but obviously nobody has any clue. In any case, forums no doubt are not a substitute for the official support mechanism, so simply consider opening a case there. And I know this hurts and will come off as an insult, but you could at least have asked on the Flash (Player) forums, if someone might accidentally know whether updating Flash has any ill effects on other Adobe products. You haven't done that and this kinda feels like you are "sitting it out"... The same goes for widening the scope of your search to otehr forums and communities. If bad luck has it, there may be a solution somewhere, but you miss it because you never searched for it...

Mylenium

• 3. Re: SWF import to AE suddenly not working. HELP! Urgent!
              bogiesan-gyyClL Level 3

> Tried unistalling and reinstalling<

Yar, hardly ever solves anything on a Macintosh, dunno why people bother with that.

When confronted with seemingly insurmountable technical issues caused by incompatibilities between applications, I assume user error because that's the correct answer, in my case, 90% of the time. So I know my first attempt to solve such problems is focused strictly on workarounds. But in the case of After Effects and Flash, all of my Flash geeks have learned not to even think about giving me their SWF files. We work together to figure out how their stuff gets into my stuff and it's usually a movie or a series of vector artwork I can manipulate.

bogiesan

• 4. Re: SWF import to AE suddenly not working. HELP! Urgent!
                prowl Level 1

You are kidding right? Of course I am exploring every options... but it's not a flash player problem. AE doesn't use the (web) flash player.

"And I know this hurts and will come off as an insult, but you could at least have asked on the Flash (Player) forums"

- Very odd thing to say!?

You haven't done that and this kinda feels like you are "sitting it out"...

er.. again strange thing to say.

I've NEVER had any joy through the official support mechanism - Not in 14 years. I always get the answer through forums.

And in fact I did...

• 5. Re: SWF import to AE suddenly not working. HELP! Urgent!
                  prowl Level 1

"But in the case of After Effects and Flash, all of my Flash geeks have learned not to even think about giving me their SWF files. We work together to figure out how their stuff gets into my stuff and it's usually a movie or a series of vector artwork I can manipulate."

I can't even begin to explain how wrong you are. Flash IS a vector format and it's without doubt the best way to import animations to AE. 

If you are exporting videos from Flash you have lost: built in transparency, Tiny file sizes, and infinite scalability

I know that there have been problems in the past but CS5 flash and AE really does work seemlessly together.

My VERY annoying problem came from an importer script that had an error in it which changed the Adobe importer.

The solution...

"Yar, hardly ever solves anything on a Macintosh, dunno why people bother with that."

Unistall and reinstall - replacing the broken importer and never using the dodgy script again...