5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 28, 2010 9:55 AM by zbova

Mask Issues

zbova

Hi Everyone!

I am sure there is a simple fix to this, but I havn't been able to wrap my brain around it just yet.  Basically I would like to make a curves adjustment on some footage, but mask an area on the lower thirds where that curves adjustment could fade in and out.

So right now I have an adjustment layer (with the curves and the mask) and my footage underneath.  If I set my current mask to add it turns off the adjustment to the entire footage, then allows me to fade the curves INSIDE the mask using the mask opacity.  If I switch it to subtract it keeps the curves on the footage but the mask opacity changes the content OUTSIDE the mask

I have also tried to dup the adjustment layer, and switch the masks to add AND sub but when I set the footage so it uses the curves adjust you can see a 1pixel border of my mask....

Any ideas or help!?  I thought maybe precomping or an expression could change the way it behaves. but no luck

THANKS!

• 1. Re: Mask Issues
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
          you can see a 1pixel border of my mask....

Layer blending modes --> Alpha Add

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Mask Issues
            zbova Level 1

Sorry Mylenium, that did not work.  Attatched is an example.

Capture01.JPG

If there is another way to achieve the same effect I would be glad to use that.

Thanks,

Zach

• 3. Re: Mask Issues
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Perhaps you simply need to enable the repeat edge pixels option in your blur? I stil lcan't quite full picture what it actuall is you are trying to achieve. if al lelse fails, you can always duplicate the layer and blur it without using an adjustment layer...

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Mask Issues
                antidepressants

This might not be the most elegant solution, but I guess it will work (otherwise I have never experienced the described problem).

Try to duplicate your original footage, leave the lower layer as is and add a mask (mask the area you want to change/correct) to the upper layer and just adjust this layer.

Again, not very "workflow-conserving" but it might be worth a shot.

Hope that helps a bit

• 5. Re: Mask Issues
                  zbova Level 1

Awesome, that worked antidepressants!  But you are right, it is a bit of a work around. Unfortunately it has to be done.

Thanks to both of you for your help!

Zach