14 Replies Latest reply on Oct 31, 2010 9:27 AM by r.bruce27

AP9 not 100% useful for MAC?

r.bruce27

I am a user of FCE4 on a MAC and not happy with FCE for several reasons. So, I was very happy to know that AP is available for MAC now!

I tried the trial but that does not work .... but I read the help and discovered the many options. Made me very enthousiastic! But... I read to many times by the transitions and effects: "windows only"... Very disapointing! But, is this really so or an old information or a matter of time?

Who knows more about this?

Thanks!

r.bruce27

• 1. Re: AP9 not 100% useful for MAC?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

Not sure what you have read about the line up of Effects and Transitions between the two platforms. I have not see a list for PrE yet, but HERE is one for PrPro CS4 (CS5 is similar, and both platforms lost some Effects and Transitions in that process).

Maybe Steve Grisetti, our tireless MOD and noted author, can do a chart on the included Effects and Transitions, based on platform, as he runs the program on both platforms?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: AP9 not 100% useful for MAC?
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Well, I haven't done a side-by-side comparison of effects, transition, etc., to compare the Mac to the PC version -- but the difference are not terribly significant. Well, at least I haven't noticed them in my work.

About the only BIG omission on the Mac side is that it does not include Chroma Key or Blue Screen or Green Screen Key effects. It does, however, include Videomerge, a simplified version of these effects.

Just as a quick overview though, here are some numbers:

PC version: 86 video effects, 23 audio effects

Mac version: 71 video effects, 19 audio effects

PC version:111 video transitions

Mac version: 50 video transitions

Over the week, I can try to determine which are missing from the Mac version. But I hope that's not a dealbreaker for you in any event. I really love this program on my Mac, and I've been slowly transitioning my projects over to it there.

• 3. Re: AP9 not 100% useful for MAC?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve,

Thank you for that Effects and Transitions count. It seems that PrE is a bit closer together on each platform.

Appreciated,

Hunt

PS - from some Adobe developers, there are two main reasons for there being missing Effects between the Mac and PC, in PrPro:

Some could not be ported to the Mac OS, without complete reworking from the ground up. [Some of the missing ones could be 3rd party, like NewBlueFX?]

Some did not interface with the way that Mac's handle graphics.

• 4. Re: AP9 not 100% useful for MAC?
                r.bruce27 Level 1

Thanks for these very quick response, amazingly! Dealbreaker? em... especially the missing of the blue or green screen is a very big disapp.!

I need this in a sales trainingprogramm I plan to make...

We 'll see. Thanks and I am looking forward to your next evaluation!

r.bruce

Op 27 sep 2010, om 22:55 heeft Steve Grisetti het volgende geschreven:

Well, I haven't done a side-by-side comparison of effects, transition, etc., to compare the Mac to the PC version -- but the difference are not terribly significant. Well, at least I haven't noticed them in my work.

About the only BIG omission on the Mac side is that it does not include Chroma Key or Blue Screen or Green Screen Key effects. It does, however, include Videomerge, a simplified version of these effects.

Just as a quick overview though, here are some numbers:

PC version: 86 video effects, 23 audio effects

Mac version: 71 video effects, 19 audio effects

PC version:111 video transitions

Mac version: 50 video transitions

Over the week, I can try to determine which are missing from the Mac version. But I hope that's not a dealbreaker for you in any event. I really love this program on my Mac, and I've been slowly transitioning my projects over to it there.

>

• 5. Re: AP9 not 100% useful for MAC?

In case you're interested, I've posted a list of omitted effects and transitions as a sticky at the top of this Muvipix forum.

http://muvipix.com/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=89

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: AP9 not 100% useful for MAC?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Good work Steve, and thank you.

Hunt

• 7. Re: AP9 not 100% useful for MAC?
                      r.bruce27 Level 1

Hi, thanks for your quick response!

I found in the AP9-help the following number of missing aspects :

transitions: http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premiereelements/using/WS73c05ee9864270ea-1b15f44912917239d44- 8000.html

audio: http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premiereelements/using/WSF8CBE888-6702-4f8b-A85E-71B4B1531883. html

video effects: http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premiereelements/using/WS887E5241-726F-483c-8A08-291DC82A8683. html

Important and much used basics in my opinion. May be there is (much) more. It should not be so or with the promises to heal this soon free of charge. Disappointing for me, a reason for waiting till FCE comes (if so...) with an answer.

anyway, good luck!

bruce

Op 27 sep 2010, om 21:10 heeft Bill Hunt het volgende geschreven:

Welcome to the forum.

Not sure what you have read about the line up of Effects and Transitions between the two platforms. I have not see a list for PrE yet, but http://forums.adobe.com/thread/460313?tstart=1470 is one for PrPro CS4 (CS5 is similar, and both platforms lost some Effects and Transitions in that process).

Maybe Steve Grisetti, our tireless MOD and noted author, can do a chart on the included Effects and Transitions, based on platform, as he runs the program on both platforms?

Good luck,

Hunt

>

• 8. Re: AP9 not 100% useful for MAC?

Since Adobe is pretty upfront about the fact that these are two programs -- each with its own feature set -- I doubt you'll see some sort of patch to make them both identical.

But I can understand that some of these omissions can be a bit frustrating. Particularly its lack of Chroma Key.

Again, I encourage you to contact Adobe and let them know your thoughts. They may well be working on version 10, which will likely put even more focus on building a full-featured Mac version (assuming the market justifies it, of course).

1 person found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: AP9 not 100% useful for MAC?
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Thank you for the links to the Help files.

As for there being major additions for the Mac, I feel that will be unlikely. Similar differences existed when PrPro CS3 was released. They remained with CS4, and still do with CS5. Part of that platform difference is due to how Mac's handle graphics, and part of it is due to 3rd party developers, like NewBlueFX, not offering a Mac version to included Effects and Transitions.

I find it a shame, as I did going back to PrPro CS3, but do not think that things will change, until 3rd party suppliers write Mac versions.

Also note that when PrPro went 64-bit only, several 32-bit only Effects and Transitions were lost on both platforms. It happens.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: AP9 not 100% useful for MAC?
                            Chelseamorning2010

Call me naive, gullible or just plain dumb.  But I stupidly assumed that when I purchased the Premiere Elements 9 for Mac that it would include the SAME features as its PC sibling!  So I am stuck without the chromakey greenscreen effect feature.  Woulda been nice--scrupulous even--if Adobe had made this abundantly CLEAR when they rolled it out.

• 11. Re: AP9 not 100% useful for MAC?

It would probably be a good idea to let Adobe know how you feel. You can contact them by clicking the Contact button at the top of this forum.

Otherwise, you're just talking to fellow users, and that doesn't accomplish much.

• 12. Re: AP9 not 100% useful for MAC?
                                r.bruce27 Level 1

After correct downloading AP (guided by your suggestions, thanks for that! The site is not clear enough for that) I tried AP9 for several days and ours.

Indeed, it is very nice to be seen program and to work with and many items are much easier than FCE but yet a big disapointing surprice for me..... i got so many, many, many crashes and every time with loss of my work for a big part....

During +/- 3 our work 3-5 times a crash... that is not funny...

So, I may try it still for a few days left (and do so) but I am not convienced about the usability for mac. Pitty...

The DVDmenu-maker is very nice and easy to use (better than iDVD) but the templates are not so professional in my opinion. Maybe I did not find every option?

As I expected, sometimes I prefer FCE and than AP9 ... The best of both in one programm.... wah!

But that shall be a dream.

Good there probably be a reason for those crashes?

Thanks!

bruce

• 13. Re: AP9 not 100% useful for MAC?

Without knowing more about your system and the type of camcorder your video is coming from, it's hard to say, Bruce. Particularly on a Mac, it should run virtually bug-free!

• 14. Re: AP9 not 100% useful for MAC?
                                    r.bruce27 Level 1

Hi, thanks for the respons. Here are the specs, I hope it will be clear to you:

Why the information did not appear I don't understand but here it is again:

Crashes occur by doing nothing special or complicated things; just total unexpectedly... I have stopped trying the trial version till I know a solution for this, there is no fun in using it anymore. There are no special programs running or installed and all standard/other are closed. I use safari with the standard protection on.
                                    May be this is helpfull: after updating a few month ago my iPhone (multitasc function etc) I have an unsolved problem with synchronisation of iCall on the mac. Totally wrong, incomplete, different time by time. Not predictable. (The agenda on the iPhone remains proper, thanks!) No one could solve this problem and it seem to be that I am the only one in the world with this stupid foult... No helpfully answers on the forums. Now I use gmail for the update en backup for my calendar but even there are (less) missing dates... May be the same problem in de mac? (but I have accepted this problem, I live with it)

I use the ( perfect!) camcorder sony VX 2000 (DV tape and still with the original batteries bought in 2000!!)

May be any idea for the AP9 crashes? Thanks!
                                    bruce.