11 Replies Latest reply on Sep 30, 2010 5:18 PM by Flex harUI

ComboBox text not displaying at all.

Gregory Lafrance Level 6

In Flash Builder 4, create a new project using the Flex 4.1 SDK and then set the project compiler properties so "Use Flex 3 compatibility mode" is checked. Run the app and the first item in the ComboBox displays by default, but if you click on the ComboBox so the dropdown opens, you can't see the items.

Changing the ComboBox color style, and changing the itemRenderer do not fix the issue.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
      <mx:Application xmlns:mx="http://www.adobe.com/2006/mxml">
        <mx:ComboBox>
          <mx:dataProvider>
            <mx:String>one</mx:String>
            <mx:String>two</mx:String>
            <mx:String>three</mx:String>
          </mx:dataProvider>
        </mx:ComboBox>
      </mx:Application>

ComboBox.png

• 1. Re: ComboBox text not displaying at all.
          saisri2k2 Level 4

did you try Dropdownlist/spark combobox?

• 2. Re: ComboBox text not displaying at all.
            Gregory Lafrance Level 6

I'm writing an article on importing Flex 3 projects into Flash Builder using SDK 4.1 with "Use Flex 3 compatibility mode checked", so I do not want to use Spark components.

• 3. Re: ComboBox text not displaying at all.
              Gregory Lafrance Level 6

Adobe / Alex, just wondering if you might be able to help out. Thanks.

• 4. Re: ComboBox text not displaying at all.
                Flex harUI Adobe Employee

I think I replied twice to your post on FlexCoders.

• 5. Re: ComboBox text not displaying at all.
                  Gregory Lafrance Level 6

I just checked, and I saw one answer by you Alex. Thanks very much, but unfortunately it does not solve the problem completely. For the people in this forum, Alex said "I think you have to add layoutDirection=”rtl” to the global CSS selector".

That makes the strings appear when the ComboBox is opened, but now when the app
                  is first displayed nothing is showing in the ComboBox. Also, if you make a
                  selection in the ComboBox, when the ComboBox drop down closes, your selection
                  does not display.

BTW, why should we set the layoutDirection to rtl for this? I'm not dealing with
                  Arabic or Hebrew. Is this a hack? Just wondering.

ComboBox2.png

I'm really surprised the "Use Flex 3 compatibility mode" does not do what the documentation I've seen claims it does, no changes necessary to your Flex 3 code, but you can use the more efficient Flex 4 compiler.

I'm also really surprised that Adobe does not have a document telling people the problems they may encounter in these situations, and how to work around them. I've been trying to solve this for two weeks, and have had to pull teeth to get an answer that solves the problem completely. And I'l trying to write a Flex Dev Center article on this very issue.

Sometimes it is frustrating. Adobe puts out some good stuff, but then they baffle us with this type of thing. Is Adobe trying to do too much, and some stuff is falling through the cracks.

Hey Kevin Lynch, if you really, really want to see 1,000,000 Flex developers, do everything you can to help developers learn and adopt Flex quickly, and encourage the Flex team and other relevant teams to pre-think what problems people may have when a new version is released, and then help them out promptly when they need help.

My rant is over, but not my disappointment. Is it just me, or do others feel this way. Have a great day!

• 6. Re: ComboBox text not displaying at all.
                    Devtron Level 3

I definitely feel this way. I've only worked in FLEX for 2-3 months now and have accomplished some great things.

But some of the "easier" things, such as your combobox problem, are big time show stoppers for us. It's cool that my controls can do resize effects with minimal code, but adding a checkbox to a datagrid was a nightmare. Some of the fancy "looking" stuff is rather easy. Some of the trivial programming tasks are very complicated.

I cant really speak on compatibility mode problems, but I can speak for overall development in FLEX 4.

I'd definitely like to see better documentation, in a better format. Some of the web docs are hard to read because they are crowded by the menus around them. It's annoying to have a tiny window to scroll through just to read documentation that is sparse.

I am spoiled having worked with MSDN documentation for almost a decade. As much as I hate MSDN, Id rather use it than Adobe's documentation for sure. It makes me appreciated Microsoft a little more, sorry Adobe guys

• 7. Re: ComboBox text not displaying at all.

BTW, that should have been 'ltr', not 'rtl'.

• 8. Re: ComboBox text not displaying at all.
                        Gregory Lafrance Level 6

Yep. That fixed it.

Thanks Alex. Do you think that fix, setting layoutDirection="ltr" might fix any other issues related to compiling a Flex 3 app with SDK 4.1 with "Use Flex 3 compatibility mode" checked?

• 9. Re: ComboBox text not displaying at all.

I think text and layouts in all popups are prone to problems w/o that fix.

• 10. Re: ComboBox text not displaying at all.
                            Gregory Lafrance Level 6

I don't mean all popup issues, but all issues in general.

• 11. Re: ComboBox text not displaying at all.

I'm pretty sure it won't solve every issue.  You still have to get

embedAsCFF right for your configuration.  I'm sure there are other things

folks will run into.  The migration page on the wiki has some other things

to watch out for.