7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 30, 2010 9:24 PM by kglad

Separate Scenes or Not

Peter Altenberg Level 1

Hi, I'm building a simple interactive video/animation in Flash. I have a sample from the company that I'm going follow and they use separate scenes for different sections of the video. I've read there are disadvantages to using Scenes but I haven't seen any advantages. In fact I haven't found much about Scenes at all. Most people seem to build their stuff in one scene, just labeling frames so they can jump to them to make scenes that way. I also have been looking up tutorials and I can't find anything about using the Scenes palette and how to connect the scenes together. Is there any reason I should use this Scenes palette and not do my whole video in one scene?

• 1. Re: Separate Scenes or Not
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

there are no significant benefits to using scenes and there are plenty of drawbacks.

basically, scenes are used by novices who know no better.  they are sometimes used by designers/animators who utilize almost no coding and that have been using scenes since flash 4 (we're now on flash 11).  and scenes are avoided by developers/coders.

as soon as a designer tries to expand their skill set to use actionscript, they either run into problems using scenes or stop using scenes.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Separate Scenes or Not
            Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What he said!  (thought it would be good to help reinforce the message).

• 3. Re: Separate Scenes or Not

• 4. Re: Separate Scenes or Not
                Peter Altenberg Level 1

Thanks for the advice, I figured it wasn't good if I couldn't find any advantages of Scenes or any tutorials how to use them. I'm just making different "scenes" for my project by using labels which seems nice and straight forward.

• 5. Re: Separate Scenes or Not

and that's exactly how it should be done.  everything is transparent when you use one scene with frame labels.  with scenes there are some things happening that are unexpected and that you cannot control (except by removing all but your main scene).

please mark this thread as answered, if you can.

• 6. Re: Separate Scenes or Not
                    carl schooff Level 3

scenes are practical if you are doing very long timeline-based animation.

scenes allow you to have multiple timelines that aren't cluttered with content that is no longer needed occupying dozens of layers.

furthermore scenes allow you to navigate to the part of the timeline you want to work on without having to scrub for miles.

for example:

not everything done in flash is solved by scripting.

• 7. Re: Separate Scenes or Not

i wouldn't argue with that.

but if you hit an issue where you need to use actionscript, you have a fair chance of encountering problems that you won't be able to solve because you're using scenes and lack significant actionscript expertise.  and that's a problem.

unlike many situations where attempting to use a little actionscript only requires a little bit of knowledge (which you can then expand with more and more experience), when using scenes with actionscript you can quickly find yourself needing a lot of actionscript knowledge when you're only trying to do something simple (like move the playhead from one scene to another).

and then there's the as2 bug where trying to use scene info to navigate just fails if you move a scene at some time during production.