4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 21, 2007 5:25 AM by stevenicel

Help Please...Incorrect image optimisation in Fireworks

stevenicel
      Hi All,
      I am having a very frustrating time with fireworks CS3 at the moment. I have an image in layered png which I then optimize using save as copy. I am using the GIF format and get the image i needed down to a 3.5k file size using the image preview feature, but when i save the image and check the properties of the file it says 16k file size, not 3.5k. This is really annoying. Does anyone have a heads up on this at all?

Regards Steve
        • 1. Re: Help Please...Incorrect image optimisation in Fireworks
          Level 7
          If you post a link to the original png file I'm sure we can pinpoint the
          problem, without it we're guessing.

I find the best way to Export an image is through the File > Image Preview
          route. 'Save as' is designed to save your original file with any layers in
          tact so you can reedit it in FWs

Peter

"stevenicel" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:f7pddc$mla$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          | Hi All,
          | I am having a very frustrating time with fireworks CS3 at the moment. I
          have
          | an image in layered png which I then optimize using save as copy. I am
          using
          | the GIF format and get the image i needed down to a 3.5k file size using
          the
          | image preview feature, but when i save the image and check the properties
          of
          | the file it says 16k file size, not 3.5k. This is really annoying. Does
          anyone
          | have a heads up on this at all?
          |
          | Regards Steve
          |

• 2. Re: Help Please...Incorrect image optimisation in Fireworks
            Level 7
            Steve,

I believe that if you do a Save As, metadata is saved as well. If you
            Export the image it will not.

alex

stevenicel wrote:
            > Hi All,
            > I am having a very frustrating time with fireworks CS3 at the moment. I have
            > an image in layered png which I then optimize using save as copy. I am using
            > the GIF format and get the image i needed down to a 3.5k file size using the
            > image preview feature, but when i save the image and check the properties of
            > the file it says 16k file size, not 3.5k. This is really annoying. Does anyone
            > have a heads up on this at all?
            >
            > Regards Steve
            >
            • 3. Re: Help Please...Incorrect image optimisation in Fireworks
              Level 7
              stevenicel wrote:
              > Hi All,
              > I am having a very frustrating time with fireworks CS3 at the moment. I have
              > an image in layered png which I then optimize using save as copy. I am using
              > the GIF format and get the image i needed down to a 3.5k file size using the
              > image preview feature, but when i save the image and check the properties of
              > the file it says 16k file size, not 3.5k. This is really annoying. Does anyone
              > have a heads up on this at all?
              >
              > Regards Steve
              >

You don't optimize an image by saving as, you optimize by exporting
              the file. There is a bug in FW right now where if you save as during a
              session, FW will write meta data to any file, even if you export. Shut
              down FW, restart it and re open your image, then EXPORT the file.

--
              Jim Babbage - .:Community MX:. & .:Adobe Community Expert:.
              Extending Knowledge, Daily
              http://www.communityMX.com/
              CommunityMX - Free Resources:
              http://www.communitymx.com/free.cfm
              ---
              .:Adobe Community Expert for Fireworks:.
              news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.fireworks
              news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.dreamweaver
              • 4. Re: Help Please...Incorrect image optimisation in Fireworks
                stevenicel Level 1
                Ok, will use the export feature from now on....

Just for interest sake. 'Save As' does still give you the "options" tab which allows you to optimize and preview your image when saving, and since I was saving as a gif with the file type dropdown and selecting 'save as copy' I would have assumed that this should still work ok. But obviously not.....

Thanks for your replies