5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 29, 2010 10:04 AM by MelloMellem

Dynamic Link video clip missing frames

MelloMellem

When I use Dynamic Link to import a video file from Premier it comes in missing the first 17 frames. I can pull the clip forward, then stretch it out so that the first 17 frames show up, but I'm wondering whether this might be a problem with some settings I'm using. The video contains AVCHD and Canon T2i footage and I'm on a PC i7-860 with 16 gigs RAM.

• 1. Re: Dynamic Link video clip missing frames
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

The video contains AVCHD and Canon T2i footage and I'm on a PC i7-860 with 16 gigs RAM.

Exactly the problem, I'd say. The missing frames are in an unclosed GOP, which is quite possible with long GOP/ variable GOP formats such as these, and AE does not reconstruct the image data until you force it to. A technical limitation in working with such formats. You may get around it by forcing scene markers and a fixed minimum GOP interval in the camera when next you are recording something, if the camera provides such options in its setup menu.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Dynamic Link video clip missing frames
            MelloMellem Level 1

Thanks for responding. Can you tell me will the video still render properly or does this cause other issues? And just to throw out another possibility, this isn't a drop-frame / non-drop-frame issue, right?

• 3. Re: Dynamic Link video clip missing frames
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

This has nothing to do with framerates, it's inherent how AVCHD works and if I may put it that way: You camera is perhaps not doing a good job of creating the format because it leaves out too many optional "comfort features" like scene markers...  Once you have adjusted your stuff, it should render properly, but as you will see in various threads, there are still occasional problems with footage recorded on some specific camera models. That may not affect your model, though....

Mylenium

• 4. Re: Dynamic Link video clip missing frames
                MelloMellem Level 1

Please excuse my inarticulate language as I try to describe my problem, but when I place the dynamically-linked video clip on to the timeline in AE there's a little tiny triangle at the end, but not one at the beginning of the footage. I then move the clip forward a bit on the timeline, grab the front end of the clip and pull it out and then little triangle shows up at the start of the clip too, as it should. Have I actually s-t-r-e-t-c-hed the footage, or were the missing frames there all along and by pulling on the front of the clip I just forced the missing frames to show up?

PS - In the event others reading this post have similar issues, I used both the Canon T2i and the Sony NX Cam HXR-NX5U for my footage, and don't know whether I can force scene markers or set a fixed minimum GOP interval with either of the cameras, but I'm guessing that it's unlikely with the T2i, at least.

• 5. Re: Dynamic Link video clip missing frames
                  MelloMellem Level 1

Say Mylenium guy, are you still there? Was my folo-up question too dumb? The reason I asked, is because when I started my project I didn't realize the front part was missing, so I put many, many little yellow keyframes onto the timeline and I should be able to just move them all 17 frames down (the number of frames that didn't show up at the start of the clip) and all would be well, but not so. Something is not quite right.