4 Replies Latest reply: Sep 28, 2010 9:55 AM by Rich BioDude RSS

IMAGE FOLDER NOT INSIDE THE SITE

Rich BioDude

Hello, I am just starting to learn how to use Dreamweaver and the tutorial they have is related to Old NextBest Fest to learn how to create a web. I am getting the error message of, "THE IMAGE FOLDER NOT INSIDE THE SITE" The help menu does not help, any suggestions? I know once I get an answer, I know what to do next time [and hopefully avoid it as well]. thanks richard

• 1. Re: IMAGE FOLDER NOT INSIDE THE SITE
          Brad Lawryk ACP/MVP

The message means pretty much exactly as it says .... you have an images folder but it isn't with in the site you set up in your site definitions. When you first create a site you need to set up your site definitions pointing to where the root folder of your website is. Your images folder and all other files need to be within the root folder .... anything outside that root folder will give you that warning and will not work when uploaded to the server.

Google 'How do I set up site definitions in Dreamweaver' if you are having issues with how to set up your site definitions properly. You also didn't let us know what version you are using. The site definition setup changed drastically in CS5 from earlier versions.

So in short I guess ... make sure your site definition is set up properly and your images folder is within that root folder.

Brad Lawryk

Adobe Community Professional: Dreamweaver

Northern British Columbia Adobe Usergroup: Manager

Thompson Rivers University: Dreamweaver Instructor

My Adobe Blog: http://blog.lawryk.com

• 2. Re: IMAGE FOLDER NOT INSIDE THE SITE
            Rich BioDude Community Member

Thanks for the reply. I just bought Dreamweaver CS5, so it is the version 11.0 Build 4909.

This is what I have done. When I first go to the Site tab on dreamweaver and click on New Site, I then go to the Local Site Folder after creating a name on the Site Name [calling Old NextBest Fest] that also has the graphics folder in it. Is that setting up the root? Then I go to Advanced Settings to Local Info, I make sure the Document is checked and go above that to Default Image Folder to the Graphics folder, as the tutorial states, within the site name I called Old NextBest Fest. This is where I get the IMAGE FOLDER NOT INSIDE....

After going through many of Googles 'How do I set up site definitions in Dreamweaver' I'm having the problem, as what they show visually does not match my CS5 screen.

I still need a more visual explanation if possible.  thanks richard

• 3. Re: IMAGE FOLDER NOT INSIDE THE SITE
              Brad Lawryk ACP/MVP

Is the tutorial available on the web that i could see or is it in a book?

After going through many of Googles 'How do I set up site definitions in Dreamweaver' I'm having the problem, as what they show visually does not match my CS5 screen.

Yeah, it has to be a CS5 tutorial to match. The Site definition setup was completely changed in CS5.

Anyways, back to the problem. It sounds like you are doing it right - but I tend to leave that default images folder out. You don’t have to identify an images folder, but if you try to insert an image into a page in Dreamweaver that’s not stored in your main site folder, Dreamweaver will offer to copy the image in your default images folder. I am in the habit of not storing my image files outside my site so its never been an issue. So I always skip the default folder as it's really just a safegaurd to make sure you have inserted an image that is in your site root.

But, reading over your explanation, it looks like you named a your root folder 'Old NextBest Fest', right away that is bad and likely the cause of your problems. You should get in the habit of not using spaces in any file or folder names. Never use spaces or special characters other than an underscore or hyphon in your file or folder names.

Try renaming your root folder without spaces and try again. Can you supply a screenshot of what you have set up in your site definition so we can be sure its set up right?

Brad Lawryk

Adobe Community Professional: Dreamweaver

Northern British Columbia Adobe Usergroup: Manager

Thompson Rivers University: Dreamweaver Instructor

My Adobe Blog: http://blog.lawryk.com

• 4. Re: IMAGE FOLDER NOT INSIDE THE SITE
                Rich BioDude Community Member

Thanks for the reply.  Attached is the screen shot on page 1. 

thanks

richard