8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 28, 2010 3:16 PM by Steve Grisetti

Blurry/Scanlines where ever there's motion when rendered as Windows Media

imsam67 Level 1

Hi,

I'm using PrE 9 and trying to save/share/render my clips as Windows Media -- as it seems to have the best compression without sacrificing video quality too much.

However, no matter what I set the quality settings to, I get motion blur - more like horizontal scan lines where ever there is motion. If there's no motion, quality is fine. It only shows up, when there's motion e.g. hand gestures or head movements produce it and it's quite visible.

If I use the MPEG setting, I get perfect quality. Clearly it's a setting somewhere in the WMV preset. I used the HD 720p 30 preset to export my clip.

Any idea what might be causing these blurry scan lines where there's motion?

P.S. My footage is shot as 1080i using my Canon Vixia HF200 camcorder.

Thanks,
      Sam

• 1. Re: Blurry/Scanlines where ever there's motion when rendered as Windows Media
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Is there a lot of motion or camera movement in your video?

Highly compressed formats, like WMVs, base their compression on the ability to reuse as much color information as possible over the course of your video. The more movement there is in the frame, the more you'll see compression artifacts (and, naturally, the more compressed the file, the more you'll see -- which is why MPEGs don't look nearly as bad as WMVs).

Can you post your video for us to see so we can see if this is the case? If your problems are especially bad, it could be a project settings mismatch with your source video. (Remember, your source video has its own compression going.)

• 2. Re: Blurry/Scanlines where ever there's motion when rendered as Windows Media
            oRBIT1975 Level 1

This sounds similar my issue I'm having aswell. The "visible scanlines  during motion" sounds pretty much like interlacing-artifacts.  It appears for me (in another thread) when saving a 720p WMV from a 1080i source.

The interlacing artifacts are much more visible during motion so that's why I suspect you're having trouble with it. Double check your projectsettings. There's also a setting that can be adjusted (right click on the clip in the timeline, there's a setting somewhere that says something like "no flicker"). Try that one and see if that artifacts are gone.

• 3. Re: Blurry/Scanlines where ever there's motion when rendered as Windows Media
              imsam67 Level 1

I did some reading and like orbit1975 says, I'm convinced this is an interlacing issue. I upgraded to PrE 9 a couple of days ago. I had rendered this same video as WMV in PrE 8 and it looked fine. I didn't have those blurry scanlines during motion.

How do I fix the interlacing issue? I couldn't find a setting for it anywhere.

• 4. Re: Blurry/Scanlines where ever there's motion when rendered as Windows Media

Again, it depends on what kind of camcorder your video is coming from, how you got it into your computer and which project settings you're using.

Once you know that, you can fix your interlacing issues while limiting the damage you may cause your file.

• 5. Re: Blurry/Scanlines where ever there's motion when rendered as Windows Media
                  imsam67 Level 1

It's the HD 720p 30 setting. Exactly what oRBIT1975 said.

I rendered the same project as WMV at different settings. If I export it at HD720p, I have this issue. I also rendered it as WMV at 1920 x 1080 and the artifacts were gone.

I captured the footage using my Canon Vixia HF200 at 1920x1080, 24Mbps quality and 30 fps (PF30). So I figured HD720p 30 would be a nice way to downsize the footage. I really want to be able to bring the size down because my videos are for web and don't need the full HD size or the huge file size that comes with it.

One idea is to capture my footage at HD 720 but I'm old school and I always try to keep my footage at highest possible quality because I can't predict what I'll do with them in the future e.g. what if I want to make DVDs out of them. So I really want to keep my "input" files at the highest possible quality I can, given my current equipment.

I do want to get to the bottom of this issue. Looks like lowering the frame size to 1280 x 720 is producing these interlace artifacts because I keep everything else the same. Is there a way to fix this issue and still export WMV's or will I simply have to export them as MPEGs because MPEG at 1280x720 produces nice results.

Thank you all for your help.

Sam

• 6. Re: Blurry/Scanlines where ever there's motion when rendered as Windows Media

Your project preset, as we've said, must match your source footage. You should not be using a 720p project setting if your source video is 1920x1080 AVCHD. (There are more things in a project preset than the size of the frame. It also takes into consideration file format, frame rate, compression and, as in your case, interlacing.)

You should be using the project preset for 1920x1080 and, if your camcorder shoots in 5.1 audio, you should be using the preset for 5.1 audio.

This is very important if you want high quality output!

If you do this, you won't need to deinterlace your footage or reverse field dominance. All you need to do is edit it and select the output format for the delivery avenue you're using (DVD, onscreen, Web, etc.).

Although, as I've said above, a small, highly-compressed files, like a WMV, is likely to show more compression artifacts if there's a lot of motion in your video or constantly changing images. It's just the nature of compression.

• 7. Re: Blurry/Scanlines where ever there's motion when rendered as Windows Media
                      imsam67 Level 1

Steve,

My project preset matches the footage i.e. AVCHD 1080i 5.1.

The preset that I was referring to is the "Share Preset". I'm trying to downsize the video for web usage while preserving image quality.

• 8. Re: Blurry/Scanlines where ever there's motion when rendered as Windows Media

As I said, Sam. You can only go so far with that.

Video for web needs to be very highly compressed in order to stream over the web. So there's going to have to be a lot of compromise. No video you shoot in high-def is going to look the same on the web. It needs to be compressed, and it needs to be compromised.

Take a look at this thread from a few weeks ago. oRBIT75 was dealing with a similar situation. Neale and Gspecht did a terrific job coming up with output specs that involved the least compromise of quality. I'm not sure you can get much better than this!

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/717959?tstart=120

But, before you convert too much video to this quality, post it on your web site and make sure it's not such a bulky file that it won't stream.