4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 28, 2010 2:05 PM by adobe-admin

Audio Tracks Are Destructive?

handleyj

I'm quite new to Premiere, but not so very new to NLEs. The biggest hurdle I'm having with my switch to Premiere is that when I drop a new video+audio file on the timeline, or if I drag an already existing file around on the timeline, and that file's audio track should land on top of any other file's audio clip, the audio clip that was there is suddenly truncated. I would expect that the audio clips would just be stacked on top of one another, but it appears that any audio clip that gets all or partially "hidden" by another track is actually destroyed.

I've tried dragging the audio clip back out to be the same length as its associated video clip, but no matter what I do, the audio clip always remains shorter than its associated video clip.

Is there some command to "restore this video track's audio?" A command that would either bring it back if it got totally destroyed, or allow me to "stretch" the audio clip back to the same length as its video track?

I hope that makes sense to someone...

Thanks,

-joe

• 1. Re: Audio Tracks Are Destructive?
          shooternz Level 6

Targeting Tracks is the key to this.

eg Target a track (audio or video) where you wish your clip to be placed in the Sequence ( timeline).

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Audio Tracks Are Destructive?
            Jon-M-Spear Level 4

Editing is non-destructive.  Whaever you do on the timeline does not affect the source material.

To "untruncate" the audio track (or video track, depending upon what you want to do), make sure that the track is not selected, and then alt drag the tail (or head) of the audio track (or video track) back to its original location.  This will not work correctly if the track is selected  before you press the alt key.

You can also separtate the audio and video tracks so that they are independent of each other.

This is also the technique to use if you want to slip edit audio tracks

• 3. Re: Audio Tracks Are Destructive?
              Jim_Simon Level 8
              I would expect that the audio clips would just be stacked on top of one another

Not automatically (and rightly so).  You have to 'stack' them manually, placing the second clip on Audio 2, or 3, or whatever.

the audio clip always remains shorter than its associated video clip.

Hold down the ALT key when you drag the audio portion.

These are both pretty basic items available in the Help file.  I suggest a thorough read before actually using the software.  You'll become much more proficient and have far fewer issues.

• 4. Re: Audio Tracks Are Destructive?
                adobe-admin Adobe Employee

Here's a link to a section of the document that has the basics of audio in Premiere Pro:

"Editing audio"

Here's a section on track targeting:

"Targeting tracks"

1 person found this helpful