35 Replies Latest reply on Nov 21, 2010 3:03 PM by Moxtelling

Premiere CS5 Temporary "No Response"

MCRoberts

Greetings:

Having a little problem here. I did not have this issue with CS4 and I did not have this issue right away when I first upgraded to CS5. I'm trying to put my finger on exactly when it started. Anyway, here's what happens:

PPro CS5 seems to run very nicely. I am editing AVCHD Video and everything is going along tickety-boo. However, if for any reason, I switch tasks on my system - say, to check the internet for something or read a new e-mail, when I return to PPro, it is unresponsive. I click my mouse anywhere on the application and I get the "Not Responding" text in the caption bar. However, this situation does not last. If I wait 30 seconds, or a minute, or two minutes, then it comes back and resumes as if nothing happened.

This doesn't happen just "sometimes", but every single time a switch away from PPro. I'm still able to work but it's become a real nuisance. I should mention that, while PPro is in this "No Response" state, any other applications that I might be running are all fine and there is no harddrive activity going on. I have 8GB of RAM in this thing.

Anybody else out there having this kind of problem?

Thank you for any advice.

Mark

Here are my system particulars:

System:

It's an up-to-date HP-Pavilion system running Windows 7 Home Premium (6.1.7600 Build 7600).

Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q8300 @ 2.5GHz,

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
      Version 6.1.7600 Build 7600
      System Type x64-based PC
      Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU    Q8300  @ 2.50GHz, 2499 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
      BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 5.09, 19/08/2009
      SMBIOS Version 2.5
      Windows Directory C:\Windows
      System Directory C:\Windows\system32
      Locale Canada
      Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7600.16385"
      Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB
      Total Physical Memory 8.00 GB
      Available Physical Memory 6.14 GB
      Total Virtual Memory 16.0 GB
      Available Virtual Memory 13.9 GB

Video:

Name ATI Radeon HD 3600 Series
      Adapter Type ATI display adapter (0x9598), ATI Technologies Inc. compatible
      Adapter Description ATI Radeon HD 3600 Series
      Adapter RAM 1.00 GB (1,073,741,824 bytes)

Audio:

Name Realtek High Definition Audio
      Manufacturer Realtek
      Status OK
      Name USB Audio Device
      Manufacturer (Generic USB Audio)
      Status OK

• 1. Re: Premiere CS5 Temporary "No Response"
          tclark513 Level 3

Anti Virus Software??

• 2. Re: Premiere CS5 Temporary "No Response"
            Colin Brougham Level 6

Have you updated to 5.0.2? If not, reboot your system, open Bridge, go to Help > Updates and close Bridge. Let the update finish; this should take care of this issue.

• 3. Re: Premiere CS5 Temporary "No Response"
              MCRoberts Level 1

Norton Internet Security. Been running it for years.

• 4. Re: Premiere CS5 Temporary "No Response"
                MCRoberts Level 1

Hi Colin:

Yes, I had updated within a day or so of 5.0.2 being released. A few days ago, I tried un-installing and then re-installing everything, including all the updates. It didn't help.

Thanks,

Mark

• 5. Re: Premiere CS5 Temporary "No Response"
                  jimclark1947 Level 1

I too am experiencing a similar no response issue.  But mine is not necessarily associated with running other programs.  I normally don't run any other programs while editing just to reduce the memory and CPU overhead.  I can be working along in CS5 and simply click on an asset or shift a clip on the timeline.  Doesn't happen all the time, but enough to be a concern.

I too find that waiting a while will allow the program to return to normal and everything picks up where it left off.

I'm running an i7 980X with 12Gb memory so I don't think I'm running up against any limitations in that area.  I've tried running the resource monitor while editing some AVCHD footage just to see if anything showed up there while this problem was happening, but nothing noteworthy to report.

I did consider a few days ago that perhaps Norton antivirus might be getting into the act somehow but haven't had time to research it further.  Someone mentioned that in this thread.  Are there some issues with antivirus and PPRO that we should know?

• 6. Re: Premiere CS5 Temporary "No Response"
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Well, there are many reports that "real time" virus scanning really hampers performance in NLE's (Non Linear Editors). As with most scanning, and even indexing programs, I recommend turning them off, when editing.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Premiere CS5 Temporary "No Response"
                      jimclark1947 Level 1

Good advice Bill.  I had planned to give that a try next time I start an editing session, but wanted to hear what others have experienced as well.

Thanks

• 8. Re: Premiere CS5 Temporary "No Response"
                        Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Norton is notorious for lagging.

You could tell Norton not to scan Program Files or just Adobe products (if possible).

• 9. Re: Premiere CS5 Temporary "No Response"
                          jimclark1947 Level 1

I just installed Norton a short time ago and have not gotten familiar with all the various controls.  It's a bit daunting when you open the control panel.  My hope is to find a setting that will allow me to turn off everything associated with antivirus, without disturbing the firewall, while editing.

Thanks

• 10. Re: Premiere CS5 Temporary "No Response"
                            tclark513 Level 3
                            function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

Ann Bens wrote:

Norton is notorious for lagging.

You could tell Norton not to scan Program Files or just Adobe products (if possible).

That was the point I was also trying to make.  You need to shut it down to see if that helps.

• 11. Re: Premiere CS5 Temporary "No Response"
                              adobe-admin Adobe Employee

Here's a thread with more detail about anti-virus software and performance problems:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3108914

• 12. Re: Premiere CS5 Temporary "No Response"
                                MCRoberts Level 1

Hi Everybody:

Thanks for all the input. I did try disabling Norton for 15 minutes, but it didn't change anything. I'm a little confused about some of the comments pertaining to not scanning Adobe files. My understanding was that anti-virus software in general performed scheduled scans of files to check them for viruses. But if Norton is not actually performing a scan while I am working, what interaction would it have with PPro?

I will follow that link provided and read up on anti-virus software and the havoc that it causes. It's probably not as simple as I thought.

But I have to say that I don;t know why it would be a problem now when I've been using it for years. CS4 did not exhibit this problem and CS5 didn't until recently.

I'm wondering if some hardware configuration has gone loopy and it has something to do with either PPro or some procedure deep within the system waiting for something to become available or whatever and then eventually timing out. But no other application other than PPro CS5 is doing this...

If I solve this problem, I'll be sure to update this thread.

Cheers,

Mark

• 13. Re: Premiere CS5 Temporary "No Response"
                                  ISHRAT

Hi Bill, I have the same problem with two different machines and one of them just came from HP and I install CS-5 and next day I have this problem. Computer is connected to the internet for update.Here I'm posting windows application error report.I have a copy of the 4 files which this error report talk about in the end. Thanks   Description A problem caused this program to stop interacting with Windows. Faulting Application Path:     C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS5\Adobe Premiere Pro.exe  Problem signature Problem Event Name:     AppHangB1 Application Name:     Adobe Premiere Pro.exe Application Version:     5.0.2.0 Application Timestamp:     4c731297 Hang Signature:     db9d Hang Type:     0 OS Version:     6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3 Locale ID:     1033 Additional Hang Signature 1:     db9d73861cc870992719a1805a937a6a Additional Hang Signature 2:     54f8 Additional Hang Signature 3:     54f896ba0ceb58b7b8c95873e69e4a38 Additional Hang Signature 4:     db9d Additional Hang Signature 5:     db9d73861cc870992719a1805a937a6a Additional Hang Signature 6:     54f8 Additional Hang Signature 7:     54f896ba0ceb58b7b8c95873e69e4a38  Files that help describe the problem AppCompat.txt Adobe Premiere Pro.exe.xml WERInternalMetadata.xml memory.hdmp minidump.mdmp  View a temporary copy of these files Warning: If a virus or other security threat caused the problem, opening a copy of the files could harm your computer.

• 14. Re: Premiere CS5 Temporary "No Response"
                                    ISHRAT Level 1

I have same problem with two machins. It is not temporary Hag . If we go to "task manager" it say  PPro not responding. I have this problem with 5.0.0 and also 5.0.2. No anti virus sofwar.

• 15. Re: Premiere CS5 Temporary "No Response"
                                      jeremy d. Level 3

Even if it seems like it hangs forever, it doesn't, and it should become usable again after a while.

This issue has been raised a few times in this forum, you can do a search. Please follow the advice here in this thread, and please go check out Todd's link.

• 16. Re: Premiere CS5 Temporary "No Response"
                                        ISHRAT Level 1

How I can check Todd's link? Where is that link?

Thanks

Ishrat

• 17. Re: Premiere CS5 Temporary "No Response"
                                          jeremy d. Level 3

I thought is was from Todd; it's:

Here's a thread with more detail about anti-virus software and performance problems:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3108914

• 18. Re: Premiere CS5 Temporary "No Response"
                                            rejdmast1 Level 2

I have read all the threads about this problem.

I think it would be very beneficial if Adobe whould spell out exactly what is happening

under the hood (file locking, memory locking, waiting for replay from system, etc.).

This would give everyone better insight into the problem and possible remedies on how

to adjust our computers to minimize the problem.

• 19. Re: Premiere CS5 Temporary "No Response"
                                              expeditionwest Level 1

When I had quirky little problems like that, I'd first do a registry scan, then defrag my registry. It actually worked (for me). It seems that when you're switching in and out of PrePro, this might be the problem. If not, at least you're keeping your registry clean.  It's always worth a try.

expeditionwest

• 20. Re: Premiere CS5 Temporary "No Response"
                                                MCRoberts Level 1

What registry clean-up tools are you using? My experience with registry scanners / cleanup tools makes me very cautious about going this route. Every time I've used one of those things it ends up causing a random assortment of subtle problems with random applications. I've ended up having to re-install a bunch of things after "cleaning" my registry.

As it is right now, I've read all the threads pertaining to this problem. I have disabled Norton Internet Security, as this seemed like the most likely suspect. It has has no effect on the problem what-so-ever.

I would consider a registry scan, but I'm nervous. I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium. If any one can recommend a scanner that will fix more than it screws up, I'd appreciate it.

Regards,

Mark

• 21. Re: Premiere CS5 Temporary "No Response"
                                                  Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I think it would be very beneficial if Adobe whould spell out exactly what is happening

under the hood (file locking, memory locking, waiting for replay from system, etc.).

This would give everyone better insight into the problem and possible remedies on how

to adjust our computers to minimize the problem.

I agree in principle, but that is a harder task than it may appear, and some of the problems that were true earlier are resolved or different.

The following are reasonable stabs at what I think you are looking for.

In the thread that Todd and Jeremy pointed to, Wil has this post that deals with PR releasing file when minimized (and then needing to reestablish contact):

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3104373#3104373

And also recently, this one that deals with xmp file stamping and sidecar files:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3154370#3154370

• 22. Re: Premiere CS5 Temporary "No Response"
                                                    ISHRAT Level 1

I have no anti-virus running on this system.

Ishrat

• 23. Re: Premiere CS5 Temporary "No Response"
                                                      expeditionwest Level 1

I've had REGSCAN on both my old XP system and now my new WIN7-64 system. I have never had dropped apps, files or the like. One thing I did notice is that things just seem to run/switch/load a bit faster and cleaner. Again, no problems with my cleaner.

I don't know if I can advertise here, but here goes (danger Will Robinson, danger)  REGSERV by XIONIX software. I have no affiliation with the company other than as a satisfied user.

As stated in a previous article, sometimes I would load up my brand spanking new CS5 program and stupid things would happen. Sometimes the timeline marker would disappear, sometimes featured items would be greyed out. I'd switch, run the cleaner, switch back and restart CS5 PrePro and things would work again.  Was it koinkydink? Who knows, but when you feel good about a product doing what it wants you to do - you're sold.

expeditionwest

• 24. Re: Premiere CS5 Temporary "No Response"
                                                        MCRoberts Level 1

Hi ExWest:

Are REGSCAN and REGSERV the same or different products. Are they both made by the same company?

Thanks, I'll consider giving them a try. I'm at the "I'll try anything" point.

Cheers,

Mark

PS: koinkydink?

• 25. Re: Premiere CS5 Temporary "No Response"
                                                          expeditionwest Level 1

I'm sorry, its not REGSCAN, it's REGSERV.  I had so many windows open at the time I replied, that I failed to review my post.

I'm not saying this will fix your problem or anyone elses, I'm just saying it did correct nitty little problems that developed from time to time.

I certainly would like to see ADOBE enter into this discussion, be a very responsive company and fix your issue - or - at least tell you, for sure, that it is NOT Adobe related, but some other issue.

No slam on ADOBE, but I do find their tech support a bit wanting... this from one of the largest software media companies in the world.

Just my dos centavos

expeditionwest

• 26. Re: Premiere CS5 Temporary "No Response"
                                                            Jack Wallstreet

I had a long delay problem 15-35 seconds when switching back to Premiere cs5 from anything, including Bridge and Help and Windows explorer.  I would get a "not responding" notice some of the time.  May have had other file access slowdowns too, but not sure.  I called support today and they were very helpful after 45 minutes of looking for issues.  I have a big, fast machine.  Here was the solution that worked for me:  Right click on the Norton Internet Security tray icon and disable both firewall and anti-virus.  Problem instantly disappeared.  Probably don't need to turn off firewall.  But I wanted to report to any frustrated people out there that this solved my particular problem

• 27. Re: Premiere CS5 Temporary "No Response"
                                                              webdeveloperjc

Hello, I am havinfg exactly the same problem. I am starting to belive that it is related to AVCHD. The files I am using are with an extension .m2ts. My Problems is a follows: for the first few minutes I open premiere it runs fine, but lets say I have a 2 minutes editing part with 2 or 3 clips, after playing for about 16 secs will be fine but after that the image will freeze and then the system will get into the "Not Responding" mode which then I have to wait usually a couple of minutes to come back to normal, then I will do some more editings and from time to time I will get the Not Responding thing which I have to wait again for PP to resume. I try with DV clips and the system does nto seen to lack as it does with AVCHD, although I have a Quadro FX 5600, it does not suppor GPU, I am planning to upgrade to a 5800 but I am scare if it doesn't improve the problem (a $3000 testing experiment to see if it helps, sucker). I called adobe support and they said this is happening because I dont have a compatible video Card that supports the new Mercury Video Engine. I will upgrade the card, but men I will be mad if it does not fix the problem. I hope Adobe comes with an answer for this issue which I some people are having.

My system:

Dell Presicion 7400

2 Intel Xeon CPU X5482 @3.20 and 3.19 Ghz

8GBs RAM

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

Quadro FX 5600, driver: 259.12

Master Colletion CS5

• 28. Re: Premiere CS5 Temporary "No Response"
                                                                MCRoberts Level 1

Mark (the originator of this thread), checking in:

My problem is much closer in description to the recent post by Jack. I am editing AVCHD video - and lots of it. A typical project of mine will have 4 or 5 sequences each of ten minutes or so. I am quite happy with the performance of PPro CS5 while staying withing the PPro task. I have NEVER experienced a hang-up right in the midst of an editing session. Source monitoring and the edit playback window has always been smooth and responsive as long as I periodically stop and render sequences containing transitions, text and whatnot.

But if I switch tasks, just for a second, say, to check an e-mail or look for something on the internet or go to "My Computer" to look for a file, then EVERY SINGLE TIME, I return to PPro I have to sit there filing my nails waiting for the "not responding" caption to go away. Sometimes it's just for a short time - maybe 15 seconds. Other times it goes on for 3 or 4 minutes. Exasperating...

I do have Norton Internet Security and I have disabled it AND the firewall. It has had no effect. I wonder if I have something incorrectly and haven't really disabled it. I'm seriously thinking of uninstalling it - just to be sure.

I will update this thread if I come up with anything new.

Cheers,

Mark

• 29. Re: Premiere CS5 Temporary "No Response"
                                                                  jimclark1947 Level 1

Mark - I feel your pain.  You just described almost the exact experience I am having with AVCHD files.  Although one difference is with larger projects I almost always end up having to render not just the special effects but the entire timeline to get consistent smooth playback.  Takes me back to editing DV on Premier 6.5 years ago.  Couldn't do anything there without rendering either.  That need seems to vary now from project to project with no clue yet to what is the actual variable driving it.  It does cause a wast of time to render, but my workflow has become less frustrating by doing so.

Regarding Norton, if you right click on the icon in the notification area you will get a list of options.  One is to turn off antivirus.  If that is what you are doing then according to the people at Norton you are doing it right.  Another option is to turn off the firewall.  I always turn off the antivirus and I believe in a few cases I've seen some improvement, but not much.  I think the issue of whether antivirus is running or not most likely impacts computers that are already pushing the limit for speed, memory, GPU.........  If you are connected to the internet while editing then I would NOT recommend turning off the firewall as well.

Jim

• 30. Re: Premiere CS5 Temporary "No Response"
                                                                    Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Asking for clarification here; sorry if this would be clear to me if I re-read the whole thread.

When switching back to PR and having the delay, are you seeing files loading in the lower left part of the PR window?

Are you seeing audio conforming (or whatever) in the lower right part of the window?

• 31. Re: Premiere CS5 Temporary "No Response"
                                                                      webdeveloperjc Level 1

I just did a test, downloaded Sony Vega latest version for trial, I was very imprese, did a quick test, load a bunch of AVCHD and try running the system and guesss what, run smoodly without crashing and I had 5 layers running at the same time, this test was quick so it was a bout a minute of cilps, 5 layers, and no problems at all. Wonder what Adobe have to say about that???? and I was running with my Quadro FX 5600. There's got to be something going on with PP CS5 that is making my system to get the Not Repondiong thing. I am wondering if the problem may be the .m2ts file format??? Can anyone tell me if this may be the issue????

Thx

• 32. Re: Premiere CS5 Temporary "No Response"
                                                                        jeremy d. Level 3

This conversation is already going on.

In the thread that Todd and Jeremy pointed to, Wil has this post that deals with PR releasing file when minimized (and then needing to reestablish contact):

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3104373#3104373

• 33. Re: Premiere CS5 Temporary "No Response"
                                                                          Jack Wallstreet Level 1

I did some additional tests (CS5 5.0.2) to try to help people in this thread.  I am using a project with about 320 relatively short AVCHD files and JPGs and a fast computer with 12gb and a conforming video card

Norton Internet Security fully on (normal mode)

• About a minute to load all media and be ready
                                                                          • Click on Browser and then click back on project - about 40 seconds of waiting for the busy circle to disappear

Norton Antivirus Auto Protect turned off (Norton will say "Enable Antivirus Auto Protect" if you have disabled it and Norton will have an X on the icon)

• About a minute to load all media (no significant change)
                                                                          • About 1/4 to 1/2 second to be ready after clicking on browser and back to PR

Other comments

• In the test above, I exited and restared PR each time.  HOwever I can make create or eliminate the delay by turning on or off antivirus in the middle of a session
                                                                          • I have had conforming video and conforming audio show up, but not during this test.  The Adobe technician didn't seem to think that had anything to do with my issue.  It has to do with necessary translations depending on the media.
                                                                          • 34. Re: Premiere CS5 Temporary "No Response"
                                                                            Moxtelling Level 1

Hi Mark

First of all - any news? Have you solved the issue?

Next - I´m happy to see it is not just me that have this issue. I have experienced something very similar since PPro CS4 when edditing AVCHD files. Have tried almost everything. And it is not just when I go in and out of PPro - it happens from time to time. I edit something and suddenly - without any obvious reason - PPro CS5 shows the "No respons" and sometimes the whole PC freezes. It takes from about 1-5 minutes - and then everything gets back to normal.

About 1½ a year ago I started experiencing this issue - and I bought a new PC - i920, 12 GB Ram 2 X 1,5 TB HDD, Windows Pro 7 64 bit etc. It did not help. Editting was maybe a bit quicker, but not much and the "No respons" issue still appeared, made it a nightmre to edit anything. At the same time I experienced the issue with two subclips from same clip was stuttering during playback when editting, so I was really so excited when CS5 was announced. But after spending a lot of money on Master Collection Upgrade I still had both issues. I then invested in FX 3800 instead of the GTX 285 - it did not do any difference either - maybe a bit quicker rendering and export, but with the famoues hack the GTX 285 did almost the same job. I can edit without issues - sometimes for ½-1 hour, but then suddenly something happens...

I have managed to live with the stuttering issue - even though it still irritates me. But what really makes my edditting a nightmare some times is the "No response" issue. It is so weird because I sometimes can edit a whole sequence with fx. 10 clips with no issues, and afterwards I edit a sequence with only 3 clips and it will make the "no response" issue 5 or 10 times during edditing making it hard to tell how many hours one has to use for a given project.

I have tried uninstalling, reinstalling a lot of stuff from the PC, I have been running regcleaners etc. No luck. I then started to investigate my Log files and found out that almost everytime I get this issue I have the SideBySide error showing up: http://forums.adobe.com/message/3287816#3287816

Another thing I did find out was that my AV was trying to get in touch with my DVD drive for some reason. I then uninstalled my AV - wich was a licensed Bitdefender 2011 - and instead I have installed MS free AV - and it seems the issue has stopped. I have not been testing it very deep yet, but untill now I have edited about one hour without issues - and I use to get the NO response every 15-30 minutes. I will be edditing very heavily in a few weeks and I will be back if it turns out nothing has changed to the better. I sincerly hope it has, but I´m not very optimistic.

There seems to be some (if not pretty many) issues and problems when it comes to edditing AVCHD in PPro CS4/5 that Adobe really need to digg into.  And if they could do something serious about the error with SideBySide and AVCHD subclips that stutters at the same time that would be nice.

My AVCHD files are mostly 720P 50 from a Panasonic AG HMC 151.

/Morten

• 35. Re: Premiere CS5 Temporary "No Response"
                                                                              Moxtelling Level 1

Hi Webdeveloperjc

It seems we have almost the same problem. I will not recommend you to buy any new hardware (your system looks like it should be able to edit AVHD with no issues) before we - or hopefully Adobe - has investigated further and deeper into this. I don´t know what is causing this, but I can almost for sure tell you it is not depending on your videocard in this case. My guess is that it is related to a bug inside PPRo or some kind of bad cocktail-effect between  PPro, Windows and maybe some other software as well  - like AV or something.

But If everyone here that expoerience this issue could post their systemdetails or error messages when the issue arise? It might be possible to get some kind of a picture? What if everyone that experience this use Windows 7 64 bit? Experience the same error in eventlog? We might be able to narrow it in to some extend?

/Morten