7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 23, 2007 9:52 AM by Newsgroup_User

Hand held media accessibility in all flash site

Shweta_Agarwal Level 1

My client has an all flash site.
      http://www.thomas-bradley.com/

He wants to retain it as is. But somehow have the capability that when a person using a hand held device comes to the site he is automatically directed to an alternate version which is more handheld media friendly. How can I achieve that?
        • 1. Re: Hand held media accessibility in all flash site
          Level 7
          > He wants to retain it as is. But somehow have the capability that when a
          > person using a hand held device comes to the site he is automatically
          > directed
          > to an alternate version which is more handheld media friendly. How can I
          > achieve that?

On the home page, at the top, put a link that says "HTML VERSION or HANDHELD
          VERSION"

Note that an HTML version isn't just more handheld friendly. It's more
          accessible, more search engine friendly, easier to bookmark, easier to
          search, etc.

-Darrel

• 2. Re: Hand held media accessibility in all flash site
            Level 7

"darrel" <notreal@nowhere.com> wrote in message
            news:f82iat$mfl$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            >> He wants to retain it as is. But somehow have the capability that when a
            >> person using a hand held device comes to the site he is automatically
            >> directed
            >> to an alternate version which is more handheld media friendly. How can I
            >> achieve that?
            >
            > On the home page, at the top, put a link that says "HTML VERSION or
            > HANDHELD VERSION"

Shouldn't that be "Flash Version or HTML Version"?

--
            Patty Ayers | Adobe Community Expert
            www.WebDevBiz.com
            Free Articles on the Business of Web Development
            Web Design Contract, Estimate Request Form, Estimate Worksheet
            --

• 3. Re: Hand held media accessibility in all flash site
              Level 7
              >> On the home page, at the top, put a link that says "HTML VERSION or
              >> HANDHELD VERSION"
              >
              > Shouldn't that be "Flash Version or HTML Version"?

Er...I meant to say use one or the other (not both as a choice).

Load the flash page by default, but at the top give them a link to the
              non-flash version. Whether you call it "HTML VERSION" or "HANDHELD VERSION"
              or something else is up for debate...

-Darrel

• 4. Re: Hand held media accessibility in all flash site
                Shweta_Agarwal Level 1
                I know I'll have to attach a new stylesheet for hand held media in this alternate content page.

The thing is he doesn't want any buttons on top. Just a back end code detection. Is that possible that the code detects that this is a hand held device and automatically redirects the user to this alternate html page which has a stylesheet for the hand held media?
                • 5. Re: Hand held media accessibility in all flash site
                  Level 7
                  > The thing is he doesn't want any buttons on top. Just a back end code
                  > detection.

That just won't work.

For instance, the iPhone just uses a regular web browser, yet doesn't
                  support Flash.

You want this to be a user-initiated decision...you don't want to/can't
                  really rely on any sort of browser detection for this in any consistent
                  manner.

> Is that possible that the code detects that this is a hand held
                  > device and automatically redirects the user to this alternate html page
                  > which
                  > has a stylesheet for the hand held media?

The issue is that cell phones aren't at all consistent. Some WILL send 'I am
                  a handheld browser' information with the request, but some won't, so it's a
                  bit of a crapshoot.

-Darrel

• 6. Re: Hand held media accessibility in all flash site
                    Shweta_Agarwal Level 1
                    OK Thanks.
                    Then I guess I'll have to propose the button idea and tell him thats the only way.
                    • 7. Re: Hand held media accessibility in all flash site
                      Level 7
                      > Then I guess I'll have to propose the button idea and tell him thats the
                      > only way.

remind him that having this link is going to make it easier for Google to
                      find all the content. This is usually the argument that sways the client.
                      ;o)

-Darrel