5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 29, 2010 7:39 AM by jimclark1947

Red/Green Playback Monitor

jimclark1947 Level 1

I asked this question in the CS5 forum yesterday and while a lot of people read it, there were no ideas presented.  I don't know if this problem might be related to hardware, so I will try here.

I have just upgraded from CS4 to CS5.  I also just purchased a new Sony NEX-VG10.  I'm finding with the new camera that I occasionally get a clip that will not play properly in the monitor and it displays a solid green or red screen.  Sometime a clip with this problem will play the associated audio, others will not.  But I have found that it is very consistent in how each bad clip plays.  In other words the same clip will always display the same symptoms.

In a few cases a clip of say 30 seconds duration may play for 5-10 seconds normally, then it goes to red screen with no audio.  If I edit out the bad part and keep the rest, there is no indication during playback that there was ever a problem with the remaining portion of the original clip.  But nothing I have tried will work to save the bad portion of the clip.

These are AVCHD files with .m2ts file extension.  I've tried a test project with some older .mts files shot on a Cannon and I'm not finding any of the green or red screen problems.  And I don't recall ever seeing that problem with CS4 either.  When I place 10 clips into the same sequence on the timeline there will be a solid yellow render bar, including above the bad clips.  I can tell right away which clips are bad because the thumbnail picture at the start of the clip will be solid red rather than showing the first frame.  I've tried rendering the timeline but that makes no difference.  I have tried opening just the bad clip in a new project and get the same result.  I've tried dragging the questionable clip into the New Item folder in the project area in order to open a new sequence that is assured to match the clip properties, but no joy.

If anyone has any ideas for what I might try to reveal the root cause of this problem I would really appreciate hearing them.  Could this possibly be a memory card problem??  When I play the video back in the camea all the clips play fine.  Perhaps something is being corrupted in the process of getting the video onto the computer??  I have found these bad clips in files there were moved to the computer via USB cable using software that came with the camera, and also by inserting the memory card into a USB slot on the computer for direct copy to the HDD.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Red/Green Playback Monitor
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Are you copying JUST the video files, or the entire folder?

I've read that some cameras put "metadata" in the folder structure that must be present when you import the actual files into PPro

• 2. Re: Red/Green Playback Monitor
            jimclark1947 Level 1

When I use the software that came with the camera to copy files from the memory card it will automatically place all the metadata files in the same folder as the video files.  Of course, when I choose to import those files into PPRO the import dialog box only shows me the video files, so I'm not sure what PPRO does with the metadata??

When I remove the memory card from the camera and plug it into the card reader on the computer then when I open the folder I can only see the video files to copy.  No metadata.

I've tried importing files that have been saved both ways and both have had the problem, so apparently it's not related to the presence of the metadata files.  Although, this is the first I've read about the need for those files to be present and I will take that under advisement with future projects.

Plus, it's not ALL of the clips in a project that end up with this problem.  So far it appears to be random, although I haven't seen it enough yet to be real scientific about keeping exact track of which clips, clip duration, etc. to see if I can find a constant.

All I know for sure right now is that every clip plays perfect when previewed in the camera and not so much by the time it gets into PPRO.  I'm thinking perhaps some corruption in the process of getting the files from the camera to the HDD??  But how/why??  Something happening in the computer during the file transfer that bothers the clip being transferred at the time??

Very strange........

• 3. Re: Red/Green Playback Monitor
              jimclark1947 Level 1

I played with it some more last night and found something interesting.  First off, I've only seen the green screen once that I can recall.  Red seems to be the most consistent indication of a problem.

The software that came with my camera has a built in tool that I didn't find before.  It will analyze the clips after they are downloaded to look for problems.  Turns out that when I run the analyzer it identifies the same clips that show up red when I import them to PPRO.  So the problem appears to be something going wrong in the process of getting them from the camera to the HDD.

I will need to experiment with moving more files between the camera and the computer to see if I can find the cause of the problem.

• 4. Re: Red/Green Playback Monitor
                ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

That sounds like that wonderful(joke) Sony utility I have seen many people have issues with. You do not need to use that to import the files into Adobe and I would  recommend not using it. It sounds like the utility is corrupting frames when it's exporting/rebuilding the avchd file. I have had clients who had similar issues with that software.

Eric

ADK

• 5. Re: Red/Green Playback Monitor
                  jimclark1947 Level 1

Thanks for the info.  My previous HD camera was a Cannon and it also came with software that would "automate" the process of moving files from the camera to the computer.  I never used it and also never had problems with any of the files I got off the Cannon.

My problem here is I upgraded to CS5 and started using the new Sony camera at the same time.  So these bad clips are not immediately identifiable for the cause.

My plan is to shoot a bunch of clips and download them to separate folders both with and without using the software and compare results from there.