9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 29, 2010 8:21 AM by John T Smith

AVCHD Computer

sheryl fillmon Level 1

I've read many AVCHD posts and threads that my head hurts, can anyone give a computer off the shelf which will BEST handle editing AVCHD video?

Thank you for any suggestions.

• 1. Re: AVCHD Computer
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Rick,

Are you considering a particular brand?

John T. Smith has just built a system specifically for CS5 (Win7-64) and AVCHD, and has been very happy with it. Might be some good tips in his link to his system.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: AVCHD Computer
            Harm Millaard Level 7

Off the shelf they all stink and are lousy for editing, at least all machines less than $ 30 K.

• 3. Re: AVCHD Computer
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

To buy ready made

Desktop Editing PC http://www.adkvideoediting.com/
              Laptop Video Editing PC http://www.sagernotebook.com/

I built my own http://forums.adobe.com/thread/652694?tstart=0

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: AVCHD Computer
                Scott Chichelli Level 3

thanks John!

for Avchd:

at least a 950 processor (preferably a 6 core 970/980 and even better over clocked)

more is better to a point. Xeons forget about until you get up into the 2.93 and higher.

minimum drive config IMHO is 2 sets of raid 0 (plus an OS drive of course) much past 2 sets raid 0 is demminishing returns

470 or higher nVidia card.

12gig ram (24 is better)

Scott

ADK

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: AVCHD Computer
                  sheryl fillmon Level 1

Many thanks Bill!!!! I have not seen this post and copied it for future

reference when considering my purchase.

• 6. Re: AVCHD Computer
                    sheryl fillmon Level 1

John, many many thanks. This website is what I was looking for. I'm going to see if my bank will finance me a new computer. I should be able to get one that does the trick. Can I mention that I hate the Adobe product for not letting consumers know in advance what they'll need. Let me rephrase that, they did give me "requirements" to work with AVCHD, but as i've learned, those are VERY, VERY minimal requirements.

In my short lifespan in the editing video field i've very quickly matured into a teen and hopefully to a full grown man soon. I know now that I have to research everything before doing anything!!!!

You suggestions have been much helpful and are the kind we noobs, newbies, newbs, find useful.

• 7. Re: AVCHD Computer
                      sheryl fillmon Level 1

Mr. Millard, tsk tsk tsk... you've done better answering questions and I hope you get back to your old self. Your answer is what can be classified as "lazy knowledge"

You're much smarter than me, but I think I could have figured out 30k can probably purchase much more than what works well with AVCHD.

• 8. Re: AVCHD Computer
                        John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

When reading about what I built and what I do, remember that I am a "home hobbyist" and not a feature film producer/editor... so my editing needs are fairly simple (I've never even opened After Effects)

I do not have a raid setup (only 3 hard drives) and I do not over clock (just a "stock" Intel i7 930) so my experiences, as good as they seem to me, may not be enough hardware power for what you plan

If you are a feature film producer/editor, and if you need to add effects to your project, bigger & faster CPU and more memory may be needed

• 9. Re: AVCHD Computer
                          Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I hope you get back to your old self. Your answer is what can be classified as "lazy knowledge"

Heh,heh.  You don't want to see Harm's old self.  He is now almost always most helpful and courteous.

You misunderstood his point in part, which is just a statement of a perspective most of us share.  He's simply responding to your plan for "off the shelf."  For the money, it is not a good idea.  For most people, this means Dell etc.

The options pointed to by John are a group that builds custom systems for reasonable prices (adk), a high end laptop, and his do-it-yourself option.